The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Was the Boss profitable for Ford?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I think they are getting nickel and dimed to death on warranty. sure, they probably had plenty of budget for any mechanical issues, but it think its the phantom issues, such as the P03XX and the clutch sticking, that have the bean counters up at night.

I had not thought about the fact that ford was already working on the boss program prior to the 2010 gt/cs release. it very well may be the other way around...the cs may have received boss parts bin?

you couldn't get closer to the boss options in 2011 than my base brembo with 3.73's, but yes, you could base at under 28k forgoing the brembos and gears. which place to start the price differential is a toss up. if I were to take a close look at the parts swapping (ie: cost of a pair of cloth gt seats at 50,000 quantity vs cloth recaros at 6,000 quantity), there might have actually been a tidy profit in there for ford.

it was DEFINITELY a PR win for the ford loyalists and anti-M3 folks, but that darn Randy Pobst just gave it all back, when he whined about how much harder it is to drive at the limit than the Camaro. Seriously? put your big boy pants on Randy!

GA
pufferfish said:
it was DEFINITELY a PR win for the ford loyalists and anti-M3 folks, but that darn Randy Pobst just gave it all back, when he whined about how much harder it is to drive at the limit than the Camaro. Seriously? put your big boy pants on Randy!

My manager is a Porsche 911 lover and is always putting down my Mustang because of the live rear axle, saying that Camaro at least got that right. I tell him that real drivers only need 3 wheels on the asphalt, and AWD is cheating. ;)

pufferfish said:
I had not thought about the fact that ford was already working on the boss program prior to the 2010 gt/cs release. it very well may be the other way around...the cs may have received boss parts bin?
I was told the LS spoiler and Boss valance and splitter were designed for the Boss but were used on the CS to help spread the tooling costs. Ever notice how perfectly it all works together? That was no after thought.

Ken, I'm going to guess your Boss has never driven his Porsche on a track before? ;)

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
...just my $.02 but if the CEO of Ford wants another Mustang halo car built he will ensure the accountants show the 2012-13 Boss at least broke even...

...sort of like the way Hollywood does accounting...a movie can do a billion dollars in box office and just break even...

cosm3os said:
This. Most of the car is no different than the millions of V6/GTs that were already tooled up and tested. As to it being a halo car, I don't think so. The GT was Ford's halo car. The Veyron is VWs halo car. The ZR-1 is a halo car. The Boss is a special edition of one of their biggest selling models (albeit one that backs up the name.)

Flame suit on.

I agree with you. You make a good point....even though I think (as all of us do) my '12 Boss is a very special car. You know, I don't get a lot of attention with the car not as much as I expected. Which is okay with me. I think it flies under the radar because it gets confused with its v6/GT siblings.
Oh, and regarding the profit question. When you consider they make more than just the Mustang, yah they definitely made a profit on it.

I'm guessing that it's profitable; And a forerunner to the 2016 GT350; supposed to be a NA track monster!! More HP than the Boss; with same type of limited creature comforts as Boss.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
NFSBOSS said:
I was told the LS spoiler and Boss valance and splitter were designed for the Boss but were used on the CS to help spread the tooling costs. Ever notice how perfectly it all works together? That was no after thought.

I remember a Ford Racing video with one of the engineers talking about it. Nick Terzes (sp?) maybe? It's too bad that FR killed some of the youtube links for some of those videos.

Strangely enough, when I ordered my GT, it was a week before the formal announcement for the Boss...and the GT/CS front facia was already in the mod plan.

Lots of angles already covered here, so I'll just add that I went in for the Boss but also left a loaded Flex. Take it for what you will.

Great point askjeffro;

I forgot. I bought the Boss in 7/12 and 6 months later traded my Avalanche for F150 Platinum!!!

I've also purchased FRPP mods; I also take both vehicles to my Ford Dealer for maintenance and service.

GA
NFSBOSS said:

Ken, I'm going to guess your Boss has never driven his Porsche on a track before? ;)

I always said that the regular GT received benefits from the Boss development. I went with the OEM Boss aero since I saw the development that went into it.

Rick, he has not but plans to. :D He compares it to his old IROC Z that he used to AutoX, but I told him that these cars have come a long way in being more neutral since then. They are not the same nose heavy and light in the rear cars he remembers. I am not going to waste my time trying to convince him though since he has made up his mind and has aspirations to trade his Boxter for a Cayman. I might offer him a ride on track next time though. ;)

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
NFSBOSS said:
Yep there's a new Fusion in my garage and that wouldn't have happened if I had not purchased the Boss.

There was little doubt that the Boss also influenced my wife and I to buy her a 2013 Edge. Bought it from the same dealer who was great with me when I first ordered my '12 Boss.

Fomoco302

Life is short. Live well!
There was little doubt that the Boss also influenced my wife and I to buy her a 2013 Edge. Bought it from the same dealer who was great with me when I first ordered my '12 Boss.
[/quote]

+1 Bought the wife a 2013 Edge from the same salesman as the Boss.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Thats funny. I sold my 2012 Boss in Aug 2012 because I have little patience for electrical issues and limp modes especially on the track, Could9 has the patience of Job to put up with what he has been through. The tranny and shifting issues I delt with by changing the clutch to a Mcleod RXT :) That being said it looks like the 2013 wiring harness and the o-ring fix seems to be taking a lot of heartache out of Boss ownership and I am thinking bad thoughts about getting a 2013. ;)

Peter

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Well, you better have those bad thoughts quickly! How many are out there still for sale on lots or are you thinking used?

John

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
OLOABoss said:
Thats funny. I sold my 2012 Boss in Aug 2012 because I have little patience for electrical issues and limp modes especially on the track, Could9 has the patience of Job to put up with what he has been through. The tranny and shifting issues I delt with by changing the clutch to a Mcleod RXT :) That being said it looks like the 2013 wiring harness and the o-ring fix seems to be taking a lot of heartache out of Boss ownership and I am thinking bad thoughts about getting a 2013. ;)

Peter

What heartache? I hope you are speaking for yourself.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel