The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Was thinking of trying the Conti G5000 Slicks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Excellent find!
The only Tire rack article I had found said that they didn't test race tires.
Go figure.

THANKS!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
This is my experience with the Hoosier A7s:

Hoosier's rule of thumb for the "7s" is 1psi cold for every 100lbs of car weight. I'd start there--which is QUITE high compared to other tires, I know, but it will work. That did work for me in cool temperatures but I ended up running them (significantly) lower (low 20s cold) to make them last through 45 min races.

Regardless, with As the first 2-3 laps will be the best then you will still move quick up to about 10-12 mins after the green...then you will have to be defensive.

R7s can follow the same pressure guidelines but will not fall off as fast/as much within a session--but their overall grip level will be lower than A7s if both are at their best.

I typically expect to get 190-210 minutes of use out of a set of A7s, and roughly 400 mins use out of a set of R7s (assuming regular rotation of tires during each day of use, and flipping the tires on the wheel every quarter of that predicted lifespan).

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
How many usable heat cycles are in them?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Fabman said:
How many usable heat cycles are in them?

The R7s at 15 heat cycles were about 3 tenths slower than a sticker set of R7s at a track I know well, on the same day. I retired that set at 21 cycles with no cords showing but close.

I'd expect to get 18 out of them regularly.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
ArizonaBOSS said:
The R7s at 15 heat cycles were about 3 tenths slower than a sticker set of R7s at a track I know well, on the same day. I retired that set at 21 cycles with no cords showing but close.

I'd expect to get 18 out of them regularly.
Have you been heat cycling them once and waiting 24 hours or are you just running the snot out of a set of stickers?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Fabman said:
Have you been heat cycling them once and waiting 24 hours or are you just running the snot out of a set of stickers?

That is just running them straight "out of the box".
It's tough to make the logistics work correctly to heat cycle fresh tires here. If we had 3-day track weekends it would be very easy. It's tough with two.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
ArizonaBOSS said:
That is just running them straight "out of the box".
It's tough to make the logistics work correctly to heat cycle fresh tires here. If we had 3-day track weekends it would be very easy. It's tough with two.
I feel ya on that....when I ran stock cars I always had 20 tires mounted up and brought 14 to the track.
*4 on the car plus 5 lefts and 5 rights* (I was a Hoosier and a Mc Creary Dealer back in the day)
At this point I only have one set of track wheels for the Mustang so I have been using tire racks heat cycle service.
That's pretty good life for a non heat cycled set of tires. I'm encouraged!

Damn, Tires have gotten EXPENSIVE in the last 20 years.
I used to pay a little over 100 bucks for a 10" Hoosier slick...now it's almost 4 times that.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The HC service is a good idea.
I'm buying all my stuff through my trackside guy so he sticks around and can help me trackside when I need it.
I'll get excommunicated if I bring him anything from Tire Rack :eek:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
ArizonaBOSS said:
The HC service is a good idea.
I'm buying all my stuff through my trackside guy so he sticks around and can help me trackside when I need it.
I'll get excommunicated if I bring him anything from Tire Rack :eek:
I can understand that....

Heat cycled tires will always last longer than those that are hammered right out of the box. We have to run on the tires we qualify on so we try and limit qualifying to no more than 5 laps..tops. For several reasons, 1. we run a higher pressure in qualifying and 2. so we don't kill the tires for the 50 minute race.
The tires first 5 laps will be the fastest they ever go, so we add some psi so we don't have to hose around waiting for them to come up to temp. The bad side, is that if the driver can't find a hole in 3 laps (plus 1 out and 1 in) he's screwed, but that's what they get paid for.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
@blacksheep-1 Don't you qualify and race on the same day? Meaning you don't get the "24 hour" rest/re-linking time for the tires that is recommended for heat cycling?

That's been one of my biggest challenges--I can find the time to go out and perform the initial break-in run, but there is no opportunity for the tires to sit for 24 hours before their next use. Best case maybe 10-14 hours.

ArizonaBOSS said:
@blacksheep-1 Don't you qualify and race on the same day? Meaning you don't get the "24 hour" rest/re-linking time for the tires that is recommended for heat cycling?

That's been one of my biggest challenges--I can find the time to go out and perform the initial break-in run, but there is no opportunity for the tires to sit for 24 hours before their next use. Best case maybe 10-14 hours.

In IMSA we usually had a day, in PWC we usually qualify and race on the same day, I think the 24 hour time frame may be over rated, I'll get back to this later GTG right now but I wanted to address your question.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
blacksheep-1 said:
In IMSA we usually had a day, in PWC we usually qualify and race on the same day, I think the 24 hour time frame may be over rated, I'll get back to this later GTG right now but I wanted to address your question.
Hoosier website:

“Cure” Time After completing the initial run phase, the length of time the tire is allowed to set is possibly more important. The barest minimum for this process to be beneficial is 24 hours. (Not “the next day”). Any less than this is a waste of time. The best situation would allow a week before using the tire again.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Its really hard to get that done. I did with my conti slicks but they cycled out in half the time of other guys R7's. Getting all set setup at the track for one 10min run is a little sad.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

Fabman said:
Hoosier website:

“Cure” Time After completing the initial run phase, the length of time the tire is allowed to set is possibly more important. The barest minimum for this process to be beneficial is 24 hours. (Not “the next day”). Any less than this is a waste of time. The best situation would allow a week before using the tire again.

Qualifying in the AM, first race that afternoon..you start on qualifiers, .what would you have me do?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
blacksheep-1 said:
Qualifying in the AM, first race that afternoon..you start on qualifiers, .what would you have me do?
would require more than one set of tires.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Mad Hatter said:
As mentioned, looks like they have to race on the qualifying tire, otherwise it would be a easy fix.
Not necessarily, you could scuff them the week before, bag them with lemon peels and save them for qualifying at the next event. I'm not familiar with rules or the chronology of his events, but with stock cars we had enough practice time that if you planned well, you could scuff a set of tires or bed an extra set of pads and save them for the next event.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel