The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Was thinking of trying the Conti G5000 Slicks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
ArizonaBOSS said:
What's the tech behind the lemon peels?
Oh, you want all my secrets?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Mad Hatter said:
Nice smell?? Or just buy pre- heat cycled?
Pre heat cycled is easiest, but he can't do that so pre scuffing is another option.
The deal with the lemon peels is that it is supposed to keep them from drying out.
Any time tires (especially scuffed tires) sit for an extended time or in hot climate (like plastic bags) the oils (read stick'um) can come out and you'd rather they stay in the tires, not in the bag. Orange peels work too. Didn't your mama put lemon peels in the sugar jar when you were a kid? Same reason. Now again, forgive me as I am old school. This is what we did.
Maybe snopes or something has debunked this as a myth in the last 20 years or so, but pretty much all the really fast guys did this back then.....hell, people said I was crazy when I said race tires only had a certain amount of heat cycles in them. Yeah, I was crazy alright....now everybody knows about it. Maybe the lemon peels are crazy talk too.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Hell, I had modified an old A/C pump to pull a vacuum on my tires and I'd fill them with nitrogen 30 years ago....people thought I was wearing a tinfoil hat and maybe I was, but I sure won a lot of races and people could never figure out how I did it. Maybe it had something to do with the hat?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Mad Hatter said:
Must be the hat!!

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk
must have been cause it sure wasn't from doing my homework or covering all the basses or critical thinking or anything like that...

We can't do that, The first official practice time is the order of which you go out in qualifying, so you'll burn up a set of stickers there to get a good spot in the queue. The qualifying is in groups (We use those for practice in the next race). Then another set for qualifying and race 1, then another for race 2 on sunday, which is set by your fastest lap in race 1. These are sprint races of 50 minutes so no pit stops, so the temp pressure curves have to be pretty much dead on. You need to qualify on stickers because the tires first 5 laps will always be their fastest, there's no future in qualifying on scuff tires. Not only that but in PWC and IMSA the qualifiers are marked and traction enhancing chemicals and pre warming is illegal. An IMSA DP team was fined 5K because they set their tires in front of a heater in the garage during a cold Daytona 24.
With regards to purging I shoot for under 5% humidity in the tire and a .4 psi difference between my actual and projected pressures.
Generally speaking round track tech, which has only recently embraced radial tires, and then in 15 inch, are not applicable to 18 to 20 inch road racing radials, even though we use a lot of Hoosiers. and they contract to Continental, Pirelli is...well Pirelli. I think mostly because of sidewall differences because a lot of the actual compounds are similar..except Pirelli....which is Pirelli, but I think I said that already.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Rob:

Thanks for the perspective. I'm not trying to be contrarian in my posts but I do like to understand what the reality vs. recommendations are and what the pros are experiencing.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Rob:

Thanks for the perspective. I'm not trying to be contrarian in my posts but I do like to understand what the reality vs. recommendations are and what the pros are experiencing.

no worries. On occasion we throw the recommendations right out of the window, it was common in the mustangs, The numbers there I won't even publish on line because it would probably be dangerous, without the right combination of suspension, wheels and tires and drivers.
We blistered the tires on the T1 mustang at the runoffs last year, I'm not sure they would've made 2 more laps.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel