The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Washing and Waxing the Boss?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
killerwill13 said:
Consider me old fashioned but I much rather prefer a wax over a sealant. It gives much deeper wet look.
lol I dont consider Zaino a sealant like other brands. cause I have used those too and you are right they just dont pop like a real wax does. not the case with zaino. the gloss and depth that can be achieved is unbelievable if applied correctly

I guess one of my telling points for a good wax is when I'm behind the wheel I can look accross the hood and see a warm deep wet look. Your pictures do look great with the Zaino but maybe it isnt coming through to me since it is a picture. I'm still on the fence to be honest on what to try. I guess Im really have to going to wait and hear what other 2013 Boss owners say about the stripes.

Has any one that has taken delivery of their 2013 Boss washed and waxed it yet? I'm still curious about how the washing ang waxing with the reflective stripes goes.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
I have posed the question about wash/wax/polish/sealant on the '13 reflective stripes to an SVT Engineer at Ford, and he said he would check into it for me. As soon as he gets back to me I will share his feedback.

I have washed and waxed my car. I wound up using NXT on the whole car, including the stripes, and then used a Carnauba on the paint, but not on the stripes. I may not have the best eye for this so take with a grain of salt as I'm a waxing rookie. The stripes really don't look noticeably different afterwords, they still seem just as reflective, feel the same to the touch, and don't appear glossy in any way. Then again, the carnauba didn't seem to make much difference on the paint which is why I ordered a new kind to try, but it may just be me.

I'll be very interested to hear what the engineer has to say.

ace72ace said:
I have posed the question about wash/wax/polish/sealant on the '13 reflective stripes to an SVT Engineer at Ford, and he said he would check into it for me. As soon as he gets back to me I will share his feedback.

Thats great!!! Please do post as soon as you find out. Because if I dont know Im goin to end up staying like 10 feet away from the stripes when I do my wash and waxing session.

88saleen544 said:
I have washed and waxed my car. I wound up using NXT on the whole car, including the stripes, and then used a Carnauba on the paint, but not on the stripes. I may not have the best eye for this so take with a grain of salt as I'm a waxing rookie. The stripes really don't look noticeably different afterwords, they still seem just as reflective, feel the same to the touch, and don't appear glossy in any way. Then again, the carnauba didn't seem to make much difference on the paint which is why I ordered a new kind to try, but it may just be me.

I'll be very interested to hear what the engineer has to say.

I found that the Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba wax gives a great deep shine. But my concern with it in particular is how it is going to react on the surface of the stripe(ex. pooling up and sticking to the surface)

After initially commenting and reading this thread I decided to avoid the carnauba on the stripes as they are matte. The sealant should do fine. I have some P21S coming in today so I will try that tomorrow for the paint and see. I did use the Mothers California Gold Carnauba but it was old and as I was getting through it I started finding contaminants coming out of the bottle, it was very strange.

I'd still watch out on the sealant on the stripes. I don't think that putting something that is a direct seal over them will result in anything worth while. If you do it please post close up pics of before and after on the stripes. Im still really curious.

askjeffro said:
"contaminants"? Or just separation in the formula?

Little black chunks.....I had to stop at that point as I was paranoid but only had rear quarters and rear bumper left...I am telling myself there was nothing like that prior to my noticing it.

Unfortunately I didn't get many close up pictures of the stripes before I did it, but as I said that NXT didn't seem to make a noticeable difference on them.

What does the owner's manual say about waxing the stripes?

BTW, I got some wax on the mat black plastic parts of my 2010 GT. Does anyone found anything that removes old wax from the mat black plastic?

Joe C.

joecatch said:

BTW, I got some wax on the mat black plastic parts of my 2010 GT. Does anyone found anything that removes old wax from the mat black plastic?

Joe C.

The cheap solution, that you have in your house already, is toothpaste. No joke.

joecatch said:

Joe C.
I highly recommend Mothers back to black

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
oh my I say you guys are kinda "nuking" the whole vinyl decal thing. Zaino wouldnt say it is a good thing to put on them if they werent ready to be sued if it made your decals fade and turn to crap. I would not use a cleaner wax on the decals as it has abrasives in it but that is me.

to get wax residue off the plastic trim I use Adams All Purpose Cleaner and a rag.

I'm following this thread with a lot of interest. I want to properly prep my car but I'm still trying to figure out what to use. I'm leaning towards ordering a Zaino kit right now...

TMO Supporting Vendors