The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Washing and Waxing the Boss?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm looking for some quality first hand information on some products people have used to wash and wax their bosses with before I get my 2013 SBY Boss 302. I have seen the thread on this page about the Zaino treatment and I do say it looks great but my issue with it is that it is a sealant. I'm a traditional Carnauba Wax person. Currently on my 1999 GT I use the Meguiers 5 step paint care system of wash-clean-polish-protect-maintain(which for I use a quality wash, then meguiars clay bar, then meguiars show car glaze polish, and finally meguiars gold class carnauba wax). I still wish to keep doing Carnauba waxes when I get my Boss, but I have not really heard about anyones experience with them on the stripes. Any and all info is appreciated.

I'm 90% certain that wax will not play well with the reflective stripes. You can still use it, just be careful not to get it on the stripes.

I use Meguire's Gold Class car wash and polish/glaze on my Kona Boss. I use Mother's carnuba wax to finish. I keep the polish/glaze off the stripes, but I wax the stripes with the carnuba and all seems fine so far. They seem to shine up well.

I use synthetic wax, the kind you can use directly on the black textured plastic. I used it on a few other cars with vinyl and had no issues, though they were cars with higher quality paint and possibly better stickers. I like it because you don't have to rub it in, so no scratching the vinyl.

Has anyone had experience with claying the stripes? Thats my go to way for swirls and Im curious if it will apply to vinyl boss stripes. I know that polish would possibly eat them up so I guess Im going to have to come up with a creative way to protect the stripes during that stage.

askjeffro said:
I'm 90% certain that wax will not play well with the reflective stripes. You can still use it, just be careful not to get it on the stripes.

What makes you say this? I am planning on washing and waxing mine this afternoon so I'm curious. I am no expert but I just thought that as long as its not matte, then adding wax and gloss to the reflective stripes shouldn't be a problem.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I have clayed the vinyl on mine. no issues. clay baring does nothing to remove swirls or water spots on anything.

Zaino works great on all paint surfaces. why dont you want to use Zaino exactly?

As for the 13's dont they have matte decals? I wouldnt put wax on them at all if they are.. I would put zaino on them.

Justin

and I have used all the products you have listed above that you use and they are ok there are way better out there if you dont want to use Zaino. Like Adams polishes are great. others will suggest klasse etc. meguiars makes better stuff as well. look to there professional line of products. like yellow high tech wax #22

or this is good I have heard
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-423-adams-americana-premium-carnauba-paste-car-wax.aspx

I`m an Adams fan and I always tape off the stripes. I like wax but don`t like to put it on every few weeks so I use porter cable and Adams machine polish and machine sealant and I`m good now till next spring. Now just my F150 left to do :D

Justin

zero said:
I`m an Adams fan and I always tape off the stripes. I like wax but don`t like to put it on every few weeks so I use porter cable and Adams machine polish and machine sealant and I`m good now till next spring. Now just my F150 left to do :D
I have the same stuff along with the Flex system. I have every product Adams makes just about and I wasnt to impressed with the machine sealant I get better results with Zaino and Zaino last around 6-9months depending on how well you keep up with the car. But yeah I agree wax to me is old tech and requires a monthly or more in the summer application.

88saleen544 said:
askjeffro said:

What makes you say this? I am planning on washing and waxing mine this afternoon so I'm curious. I am no expert but I just thought that as long as its not matte, then adding wax and gloss to the reflective stripes shouldn't be a problem.
When you have washed and waxed yours can post up about it. Im just curious how the new stripes will react to everything.

[/quote]
When you have washed and waxed yours can post up about it. Im just curious how the new stripes will react to everything.
[/quote]

Will do, they are going to replace the hood stripes under warranty anyways due to some issues, so time to experiment I guess.

88saleen544 said:
askjeffro said:

My concern is that wax will in the least reduce or eliminate the reflective properties of the stripes. Also, I thought the stripes on the '13 were a matte type finish?

askjeffro said:
88saleen544 said:
askjeffro said:

My concern is that wax will in the least reduce or eliminate the reflective properties of the stripes. Also, I thought the stripes on the '13 were a matte type finish?

I'm unsure of that as well. And my conern is the same as ytours that the stripe will dull over time. 88Saleen544 can you post pics of the stripes on yours before you wash and and after? Or if you can detail throughout. I would do it but my SBY isnt going to be here for another week or so.

Justin

Zaino will make the vinyl look more glossy, give them UV protection (resist fading), keep them from shrinking, and will not cause staining. Why waste your time messing with waxes on them?

TMO Supporting Vendors