The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Washing and waxing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drano38 said:
I'm also in for inputs on whether a filter helps when washing cars. Do we typically have enough junk in our water to need a filter?

I built a new garage last winter, and have a new water softener and 19 gallon water heater ready to hook up.
If a "whole house" type large cartridge helps, I'll plumb one in.
My house has hot/cold soft water plumbed outside to the driveway. I'm sold on washing a car with warm and soft water.
Need to consider adding a filter to get more junk out of the water.

My understanding is the filters are mostly for preventing water spots if you let it air dry. I get very minor ones, never really noticed on all my white cars but they show up on the roof and the hood decal. If you don't have any spotting, you probably don't need them from what I understand.

drano38

Wayne
boss2511 said:
griots garage sells filters that you can hook right at the hose spout. I dont use one as my water is pretty good at my house.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/in-line+water+softener+%26+deionizer+with+fittings.do?sortby=ourPicks

Poor choice of words on my part. I'll use a Whirlpool 30,000 grain softener to soften the water. We've got fairly hard water here in SD. Cartridge styles are cheaper up front, but replaceing resin is almost the cost of the unit. So I'll go with a softener because I can plumb it into the garage.

Will a whole-house sediment filter be a good idea to get other fine sediment out of the water such as this? Or is it overkill? (and not worth the headach since canisters can leak when putting them on).
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=58648-59019-WHKF-GD25BB&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=1189289&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
drano38 said:
boss2511 said:
griots garage sells filters that you can hook right at the hose spout. I dont use one as my water is pretty good at my house.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/in-line+water+softener+%26+deionizer+with+fittings.do?sortby=ourPicks

Poor choice of words on my part. I'll use a Whirlpool 30,000 grain softener to soften the water. We've got fairly hard water here in SD. Cartridge styles are cheaper up front, but replaceing resin is almost the cost of the unit. So I'll go with a softener because I can plumb it into the garage.

Will a whole-house sediment filter be a good idea to get other fine sediment out of the water such as this? Or is it overkill? (and not worth the headach since canisters can leak when putting them on).
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=58648-59019-WHKF-GD25BB&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=1189289&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
you got me man. I have never done all that. I rent my house not going to sink money into a rental lol

drano38

Wayne
I hear ya on the rental - did that for 20 years.
Now that I'm retired and enjoying all the benifits of home ownership, I get to make it my way!

Justin

drano38 said:
I hear ya on the rental - did that for 20 years.
Now that I'm retired and enjoying all the benifits of home ownership, I get to make it my way!
yeah I am in the navy and dont want to be tied to a house in this area cause I plan to move back to PA when I retire from the military.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
drano38 said:
boss2511 said:

Wayne - I use a commercial grade setup, my water may be similar to yours before conditioning. It's a coarse filter followed by a ph balancer followed by a water softener. All of the timers and fittings are pretty much bullet proof. The whole setup probably initially cost me 25 to 50% more than items that are 'residential quality' (Lowes, Home Depot, etc) with the hope that this stuff just doesn't break down. It's been in service for almost 10 years and has not failed at all yet. The filter is not overkill is you are using a water softener, it's good to protect the resin from solid contaminants that will just get lodged into it.

PS: If I do move some day it's all hooked up so I can take it with me if I wish ;D

i use adam's polishes on my boss, but i buy super VRT+ from chemical guys rather than using Adam's product only because an entire gallon of the chem guys stuff is like $30. that is like a life time supply. i tape my stripes off, the adams folks recommended not waxing the stripes, or at least they did a year or so back when i asked. be sure you do a good two bucket wash, that will keep many of those scratches away.

Justin

ShaneM said:
i use adam's polishes on my boss, but i buy super VRT+ from chemical guys rather than using Adam's product only because an entire gallon of the chem guys stuff is like $30. that is like a life time supply. i tape my stripes off, the adams folks recommended not waxing the stripes, or at least they did a year or so back when i asked. be sure you do a good two bucket wash, that will keep many of those scratches away.
yeah they said if there semi gloss or matte dont wax them. I emailed them and the told me what I said above for gloss decals.

TMO Supporting Vendors