The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Watch this video and help me diagnose what happend.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was at the drag track this past weekend and had a blast. On the last run of the day, I shifted into forth and the car felt flat on its face with no power. You can hear it in the video. The car is fine, I drove it 3 hrs home and got 24.1 mpg. Even went through the gears a few times to see if I could replicated it again and couldn't.
What do you think could have caused this? Fuel starved?
Thanks for input.

http://youtu.be/zjoumUkdrzs

No lights or anything, It felt like limp mode. I do have a scan and will run it tonight. Thanks for the idea.

I pushed in the clutch and revved it a few time as you can see in the video and all was fine. left the place and went through the gears and all was fine. really weird. maybe for some reason it was starved and went into limp mode????

Fordman9870 said:
No lights or anything, It felt like limp mode. I do have a scan and will run it tonight. Thanks for the idea.

I pushed in the clutch and revved it a few time as you can see in the video and all was fine. left the place and went through the gears and all was fine. really weird. maybe for some reason it was starved and went into limp mode????
Were you low on fuel? Typically you'll only see them starve when pushing high lateral Gs with less than 1/2 tank due to the saddle tank design. I'll be really interested to see what your scan tool shows, if anything. My car has gone into limp mode on the road course (likely P0300 random misfire) but cleared itself and not left any codes. It hasn't happened since I had the crankshaft sensor relearn done, but I still occasionally get a P0300 on track.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Since you didn't get a CEL and limp mode lasts for a little while, then I'd guess it was fuel starved. How long before the power came back ?

In the full video, once I let off the gas and pushed in the clutch i revved it a few times and it was fine.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Wasn't in limp mode then. I'm guessing fuel starved. On road courses I cannot let it get yo 1/4 tank.

Was your traction control disabled during that run? If not, it's possible you could have had enough wheel spin at that point in the run to cause the traction control system to intervene, with the concomitant apparent loss of power. Just a guess, anyway...

Yep, I had both off. that was part of my pre race ritual.
1. Fire up red key
2. Disable all TC and Nannies.
3. Turn on Go pro.
4. Say a prayer for speed and safety!!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Wish I could have seen the tach on that. When I would let it hit the rev limiter at the track it would cut the power on the shift for a brief second kinda like that then come back alive. Only other guess is advanced track thought you were going to go sideways and cut power

Justin

Fordman9870 said:
Yep, I had both off. that was part of my pre race ritual.
1. Fire up red key
2. Disable all TC and Nannies.
3. Turn on Go pro.
4. Say a prayer for speed and safety!!
you held down the TCS button and brake for 8 secs to disable TC and Advanced track?

I kinda thought along both of those lines too. Wow I didn't know I had shifting skills faster than the ECU could keep up with hahaha

Justin

Fordman9870 said:
I kinda thought along both of those lines too. Wow I didn't know I had shifting skills faster than the ECU could keep up with hahaha
it did something similar to me when I was on the street rowing through the gears. dont remember the gear but hit the rev limiter just barely switched gears and it was dead for what felt like forever then came alive. Only had it happen that once. but it didnt sound like yours did it acted like the engine was off then like a switch was flipped and it was back on.

TMO Supporting Vendors