The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

water pump leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyone one have any issues with their water pump leaking? I have a small coolant leak somewhere and can not seem to track it to any particular thing. I will get a very small puddle of coolant after driving for awhile. Not all the time though. I can see some on the belt above the crank pulley. Feeling the bottom side of the water pump i would get some coolant on my hand.

Just seeing if anyone else has had this issue. Has anyone seen the need to upgrade to an electric pump or has the stock one performed fine for them? Trying to decide if I should take it to the dealer to see if they will cover under warranty. Not sure if it would make a difference as I do have an AED tune, I noticed the leak after the last time at the drag strip. I am shifting around 7800 so not sure if the extra RPM's would cause the pump to fail if thats where its coming from.

12coBoss said:
Anyone one have any issues with their water pump leaking? I have a small coolant leak somewhere and can not seem to track it to any particular thing. I will get a very small puddle of coolant after driving for awhile. Not all the time though. I can see some on the belt above the crank pulley. Feeling the bottom side of the water pump i would get some coolant on my hand.

Just seeing if anyone else has had this issue. Has anyone seen the need to upgrade to an electric pump or has the stock one performed fine for them? Trying to decide if I should take it to the dealer to see if they will cover under warranty. Not sure if it would make a difference as I do have an AED tune, I noticed the leak after the last time at the drag strip. I am shifting around 7800 so not sure if the extra RPM's would cause the pump to fail if thats where its coming from.
Check your water-to-oil cooler. Mine developed a leak where the two 90 degree aluminum fittings attach into the bottom of the sandwich plate. It led to an early exit from Road America this summer :'(

I couldn't find it under idle but when we got it on the lift and I sat in the car and gave it throttle, the pressure would push the coolant out. It was a very slow leak and didn't leak at all without significant throttle to build pressure.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
Check your water-to-oil cooler. Mine developed a leak where the two 90 degree aluminum fittings attach into the bottom of the sandwich plate. It led to an early exit from Road America this summer :'(

I couldn't find it under idle but when we got it on the lift and I sat in the car and gave it throttle, the pressure would push the coolant out. It was a very slow leak and didn't leak at all without significant throttle to build pressure.

+1, had the same issue. Replaced under warranty last year.

I was able to get in there with a mirror. It is coming from the water pump, not sure where but when I turn the car off I have antifreeze on the bottom of it. Looks like there may be plug on the bottom front of the pump on where it is coming from. Now to see if they will cover it under warranty. Looks like Meizure's electric pumps are $1000 so not an option.

So Boss

Boss at Vancouver (now Finland)
I had the same problem developed after first half year. Water pump was leaking a little. It was fixed under warranty, no problems with Ford.

Yeah talked to a mechanic at Ford already, said it shouldn't be a problem with it being covered under warranty. Thought about going with an electric pump, but not for $1000 that they are asking for them.

TMO Supporting Vendors