The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Water spot removal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

What's the best way to remove water spots from the hood decal? I tried goo gone. Didn't entirely remove them. Buggers.

Are they just water spots or is it bugs? If its just water spots and a good hand washing isnt working, you may have to polish it.

Edit: Read this thread. It covers all types of water spots and how to remove them.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/29134-how-remove-water-spots-hand.html

The best method is in my signature. :D

Sesshomurai

Haha. That's funny. Well, thanks for the tips fellas. Have to decide which one I like better!

darreng505 said:
What's the best way to remove water spots from the hood decal? I tried goo gone. Didn't entirely remove them. Buggers.
Have you tried a lttle vinegar/water mixture?

I don't know about decals specifically - but for me nothing but Klasse All-In-One polish would take water spots off my windows or paint. My father has a water softener that apparently has too much of a salt mixture...it left all kinds of water spots on my windshield that I couldn't get get off with anything:
Window cleaner
Clay Bar
Vinegar/Water mixture
Auto glass cleaner
the list goes on

Klass AIO worked like a charm. Again...dunno about decals (maybe the material being mushier changes things)...but I would definitely give it a try.

Justin said:
dont use a polish on the decals no matter how light. it will cause swirls.
on the 2012 stripes, a lite polish should not do any damage. That's thanks in part to its gloss. 2013 you can use a super light polish and see no problems.(albeit I still recommend this only as a last resort) I have tried on my 13 with dodo supernatural polish and nothing happened at all.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
killerwill13 said:
on the 2012 stripes, a lite polish should not do any damage. That's thanks in part to its gloss. 2013 you can use a super light polish and see no problems.(albeit I still recommend this only as a last resort) I have tried on my 13 with dodo supernatural polish and nothing happened at all.
I used adams white on mine. helped the water spots and bird bomb spots go away but it caused a nice swirl 3d effect. I would advise agaisnt using it. I was able to mask the swirls with layers of Zaino Z5 should have just tried that in the first place. Thats what I would start with.

i have a 2013 boss and left it out for a week or so. the sprinkler hit it with well water [long island ny] and i had some tough waterspots. very difficult on the rear spoiler for some reason. i read about vinegar etc no good. then i used KRUDCUTTER from home depot which is the best all purpose cleaner i have ever used on everything. biodegradable an inexpensive. after some rubbing it solved the problem. hope it helps. my go to product but i would rewax after using it.

TMO Supporting Vendors