The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Watson Racing Bolt-In Roll Bar Install Complete!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluemax said:
Well heck, I could have saved some money on the rear seat delete kit since I already have the Ford Racing kit... earlier reports said it wouldn't fit! Now I have to decide if I want to use the x-brace or not. LOL

I am finishing up my roll bar install tonight... the nut plates being slightly shorter distance between the nuts center to center vs. the holes in the roll bar upright (at the gusset) really messed me up on alignment. The second one went easier than the first once I figured that out. I almost remade the nut plates, but decided once installed, no one would know anyway.
I bought the WR RSD kit to cut up on purpose. To my thinking is the Ford pieces are irreplaceable and I bet won't be available forever.

I had issues with the nut plates as well but was clued in to check them before installing the bar and matched up the holes with my die grinder before I started.

Georgia
NFSBOSS said:
I bought the WR RSD kit to cut up on purpose. To my thinking is the Ford pieces are irreplaceable and I bet won't be available forever.

I had issues with the nut plates as well but was clued in to check them before installing the bar and matched up the holes with my die grinder before I started.

Ditto on the RSD kit, I plan to do the same for now.

I completed the bar install last night, now I am ready to trim the panels. Were the WR measurements in the instructions correct on how much to trim? I don't want to trim any more than I have to.

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
bluemax said:
Were the WR measurements in the instructions correct on how much to trim? I don't want to trim any more than I have to.
I thought so. I followed the instruction the best I could and am pleased with the results. Good luck!

Georgia
Ok, what is the "trick" for getting the panels back in? LOL Did everyone remove the foam blocks from the backside as directed? I have taped up everything trying to protect the panels and bar from scratches... I know they can go back in!

Finished adding my X brace with the WR RSD kit.

For the top piece I cut two slits where the seam is between the two pieces. Use the X brace as a template by putting the two plastic pins through the top outside holes. I used those pins to hold it in place and only used two of the four bolts to attach the brace. Let's face it at this point it's mostly for looks. :p

For the two bottom pieces I removed the top wood fiber boards and then cut slits in the carpet. See below.

Cut the vinyl and remove the boards.
IMG_3786_zps2b44c35a.jpg

Cut the slit in the vinyl.
IMG_3787_zpsa7695e7a.jpg

Cut a little extra vinyl out so it doesn't show through.
IMG_3788_zps5512caf3.jpg

Pull the lower support through the slit and tighten the bolt.
IMG_3789_zps2d92471c.jpg

All finished.
IMG_3791_zps7e71051d.jpg
IMG_3793_zps7c9521a5.jpg
IMG_3794_zps4addfd68.jpg
IMG_3796_zpscd19bbed.jpg
IMG_3792_zpsffa8fe6b.jpg

NFSBOSS said:
Finished adding my X brace with the WR RSD kit.

For the top piece I cut two slits where the seam is between the two pieces. Use the X brace as a template by putting the two plastic pins through the top outside holes. I used those pins to hold it in place and only used two of the four bolts to attach the brace. Let's face it at this point it's mostly for looks. :p

For the two bottom pieces I removed the top wood fiber boards and then cut slits in the carpet.
Turned out great Rick!

Georgia
Tucson302 said:
They really need to take out that line thats says "Quick in...." there was nothing quick about it!

To be honest, I could probably do it in half the time if I were to do it again. It took me about 1 1/2 days total to learn all of the tricks. ;)

The end results look really good though! 8)

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
bluemax said:
To be honest, I could probably do it in half the time if I were to do it again. It took me about 1 1/2 days total to learn all of the tricks. ;)

The end results look really good though! 8)

I agree I like the way it looks as well, but it's a bear to get the bolts and holes to line-up with those nut plates

Georgia
Tucson302 said:
I agree I like the way it looks as well, but it's a bear to get the bolts and holes to line-up with those nut plates

That was one of the tricks I had to learn on the first side! The nut plates didn't match the hole spacing on the bar brackets. Once I figured that one out, the other side gusset went much faster.

The other trick was the interior panels. The 4" radius is more of a generic guide line. Once I figured that one out, I made a template of the first side and flipped it to the other side. I didn't even make a radius on the second panel, just used my template.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
bluemax said:
That was one of the tricks I had to learn on the first side! The nut plates didn't match the hole spacing on the bar brackets. Once I figured that one out, the other side gusset went much faster.

I'm installing mine tomorrow. Based on your comments, did you just take the backing plate, attach it straight to the down bars and drill out the holes to better match before installing the plates and bars?

Thanks!

Georgia
JScheier said:
I'm installing mine tomorrow. Based on your comments, did you just take the backing plate, attach it straight to the down bars and drill out the holes to better match before installing the plates and bars?

Thanks!

The spacing on my nut plates was slightly narrower (center to center) than the predrilled holes in the hoop brackets. I basically elongated the holes in the hoop brackets (when done it looks more like a slot) to match up to the nut plates. Then installed the bar on the gussets, marked the holes as instructed on the gussets (also marked the bar bracket locations on the gusset), removed, and drilled the gussets.

I then bolted everything together on the floor (making sure my marks all aligned), taped the nut plates to the back of the gussets (to maintain proper position), removed the bar, and riveted the nut plates to the gussets per the instructions.

Hope this helps. ;)

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
JScheier said:
Definitely helps! I was thinking it was the rear nut-plates (on the down bars)... didn't even consider the the nut-plates on the hoop brackets.

Thanks!!!

Yeah the holes do not line up very well on both the main hoop and the down bars so you need to make modifications in order to get the bolts in. Hopefully your install goes better than mine and it's not 100+ degrees like it was in Phoenix that weekend!

TMO Supporting Vendors