The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Watson Racing Roll Bar Group Buy #2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NFSBOSS said:
Welcome to BMO. Are you driving a Boss or GT?

I'm the proud owner of a Black 2013 Boss LS # 713. I originally was in the market for one back in 2012 and could not bring myself to pay the ridiculous mark up here in the SF Bay Area. This past September, I came across this car at a Ford dealership in Ashland Oregon; a collector picked it up a year and a half ago and decided to trade it in with only 60 (!) miles on it. The dealer was going to wholesale the car so I was able to pick up a "new" Boss for a great price. Never even considered that I would be able to get an LS but lucked out....

I have been lurking on this website for a while and it's great to have a legitimate reason to member up. Lot's of great info here.

BigTaco said:
I'm the proud owner of a Black 2013 Boss LS # 713. I originally was in the market for one back in 2012 and could not bring myself to pay the ridiculous mark up here in the SF Bay Area. This past September, I came across this car at a Ford dealership in Ashland Oregon; a collector picked it up a year and a half ago and decided to trade it in with only 60 (!) miles on it. The dealer was going to wholesale the car so I was able to pick up a "new" Boss for a great price. Never even considered that I would be able to get an LS but lucked out....

I have been lurking on this website for a while and it's great to have a legitimate reason to member up. Lot's of great info here.
Very nice. Are you going to take it to the track? BTW I'm in the Sacramento area.

NFSBOSS said:
Very nice. Are you going to take it to the track? BTW I'm in the Sacramento area.
I am (planning on participating in HPDE events at Infineon and Laguna), although not until summer 2015; my weekend dance card is full until then with my daughter being in James Logan High Drum line. My plans for now are to add upgrades that increase longevity/durability; oil cooler, radiator, and brake stuff. Maybe the Watson 4 point because it is just so damn cool (and functional). I have not done any open track since the mid or late 90's back when NASA and the American Iron series was getting off the ground. The biggest mod for me will be the driver since I honestly know that the capabilities of this car are over my head. That's my plan for now. I'm really excited to own this car; it's like a dream come true for me since the Boss represents things that interest me; Ford Mustangs, high RPM, handling, and a reasonably durable drive train. The only Mod I have added to the car so far has been the Track Key. I plan on purchasing the FRPP Radiator, air to air oil cooler, and SVT cooling fan as a good starting point to open track from. That's my plan......

BigTaco said:
I am (planning on participating in HPDE events at Infineon and Laguna), although not until summer 2015; my weekend dance card is full until then with my daughter being in James Logan High Drum line. My plans for now are to add upgrades that increase longevity/durability; oil cooler, radiator, and brake stuff. Maybe the Watson 4 point because it is just so damn cool (and functional). I have not done any open track since the mid or late 90's back when NASA and the American Iron series was getting off the ground. The biggest mod for me will be the driver since I honestly know that the capabilities of this car are over my head. That's my plan for now. I'm really excited to own this car; it's like a dream come true for me since the Boss represents things that interest me; Ford Mustangs, high RPM, handling, and a reasonably durable drive train. The only Mod I have added to the car so far has been the Track Key. I plan on purchasing the FRPP Radiator, air to air oil cooler, and SVT cooling fan as a good starting point to open track from. That's my plan......
Skip the radiator for now. An open grille and the fan should be more than enough. The rest looks good. Have fun with your BOSS!

BigTaco said:
Hey Big - another LS guy here in the Bay, welcome! I track quite a bit and have for years, Laguna Monday in fact (pray for clear blue skies!) and can tell you a few things for your new to you LS. My initial upgrades went like this-
1A- Activate Red track key!
#1 item is a set of 18" track wheels and tires, whether full slicks, R comps or HP Summer is your choice -there is not a lot of fun rubber out there in 19".
#2 is a great set of race pads (insert your brand) and a set of oem iron rotors from Ford - about $75 each and too cheap not to buy -swap them out for the track runs from the street setup (oh and install those brake ducts if you haven't- trans scoop too if you have it) I just keep to the front and haven't needed an upgrade for the rears yet -
#3 Titanium backing plates for the pads - just keeps things cool in the brake zone
#4 High Temp brake fluid - Pagid, Castrol, something with 600+ degrees and DOT 4 of course

Now off to the track and hammer it - you'll know then what the rest of your upgrade path will be - honestly I haven't seen cooling, oil, trans or water, being an issue here and that includes Thunderhill in June and 106.

So have a blast and we'll see you around the track!

Viper1mx said:
Hey Big - another LS guy here in the Bay, welcome! I track quite a bit and have for years, Laguna Monday in fact (pray for clear blue skies!) and can tell you a few things for your new to you LS. My initial upgrades went like this-
1A- Activate Red track key!
#1 item is a set of 18" track wheels and tires, whether full slicks, R comps or HP Summer is your choice -there is not a lot of fun rubber out there in 19".
#2 is a great set of race pads (insert your brand) and a set of oem iron rotors from Ford - about $75 each and too cheap not to buy -swap them out for the track runs from the street setup (oh and install those brake ducts if you haven't- trans scoop too if you have it) I just keep to the front and haven't needed an upgrade for the rears yet -
#3 Titanium backing plates for the pads - just keeps things cool in the brake zone
#4 High Temp brake fluid - Pagid, Castrol, something with 600+ degrees and DOT 4 of course

Now off to the track and hammer it - you'll know then what the rest of your upgrade path will be - honestly I haven't seen cooling, oil, trans or water, being an issue here and that includes Thunderhill in June and 106.

So have a blast and we'll see you around the track!

Thanks, Viper. I have already been brainstorming my brake approach. I think I will be swapping dedicated pads and rotors when the time comes.

I have a LS too with stock suspension. Why the 18's vs the stock rims? As a newbie trying to understand so maybe I should go that route too. Thanks for the help.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Johna

It's a matter of availability and weight.

There are many choices for a 18 inch wheel/tire combo.

19s. Not so much.

18 inch combos will come in leighter than the stock wheels. Some say 10+- pounds different per corner.

Thanks was always curious why some owners preferred the 18 inch wheels. One more question, how does a square setup change the handling vs a staggered setup.

Johna - TMSBOSS is spot on there with tire selection being the prime motivator, there's only a handful of meaningful track tires out there for 19's and once you check the costs of those consumables you'll see why 18's are the way to go, weight is a secondary benefit as a bonus.

As for your square setup, do a search here and you'll find a plethora of pro's and con's - well not really cons just other perspectives. With square you can rotate your tires front to rear and get maybe another 30-40 percent out of them so that's a good thing, but with some square setups there are other suspension items that need to be addressed (panard bar for one I believe) to maintain the proper geometry Ford intended. as for handling performance square, well search the boards there's a ton of info here!

It all comes down to cash and how much you want to spend!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel