The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Watson Racing Roll Bar Group Buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach
I'm adding the group buy info to this thread.

I just got off the phone with Patrick and they have a fantastic offer for BMO members.

Price: $675 (sales tax if in MI)
Shipping: $125
Total delivered price: $800
Discount period ends at close of business on Friday September 13, 2013
How to order: Call or email Patrick Lee and include "BMO Group Buy" in the subject line. Patrick's contact info is [email protected] or 734-759-0555 x209.

Roll Bar Details: only one color of metallic gray is offered and it looks a bit lighter than Fords sterling gray. They haven't tested the LS X brace but they think it will interfere with the roll bar installation. I plan on using a RSD kit from rearseatdelete.com as I don't want to cut up my LS RSD kit. There are other options out there. WR is also working on a kit to close off the trunk from the interior of the car. The photos are of Patrick's 2005 GT.

There are only a few built and in stock so you may have to wait a week or so for your bar to be shipped. Regardless only orders placed by Sept 13 will qualify for the discount. I've already placed my order and told Patrick he can ship mine after the next batch are complete so those that are going to install theirs immediately can get one now.

Let me know if you have any questions.

They say buy 2 and the price drops to $715. Time for a group buy!

http://www.watsonracing.com/photogallery/

Thanks for catching that. I have a call into Watson now about getting a better price or at least make that price available to all members buying one. If you're serious about buying one of these bars please post your intent ASAP.

Wingrider said:
They say buy 2 and the price drops to $715. Time for a group buy!

http://www.watsonracing.com/photogallery/

Good catch! Don't forget to add $125 flat rate for shipping when working your budget. I queried the Deep Blue supercomputer and it returned a figure of $840.

Re: backstays

FIA Rules:

The backstays must be attached near the roofline and near
the top outer bends of the main rollbar, on both sides of the
car, possibly by means of removable connections.
They must form an angle of at least 30° with the vertical,
must run rearwards and be straight and as close as possible
to the interior side panels of the bodyshell.

SCCA (World Challenge) Rules:

J.8.3.1: MAIN HOOP BRACING
J.8.3.1.1: Closed cars with full cockpit-width main hoops must
have two (2) braces extending to the rear, and attaching to the
frame, or chassis. Braces must be attached as near as possible to
the top of the main hoop (not more than 6” below the top), and at
an included angle of at least 30-degrees. Main hoop rear bracing
shall not extend rearward past the shock towers.

The "as close as possible" language suggests that there is little safety compromise in the lateral mounting locations of the backstays. If there were, the FIA would have no problem specifying a degree variation which cannot be exceeded. The SCCA doesn't mention lateral location at all.

As a track-day rollbar for dual-purpose cars, this satisfies my requirements. And the first thing I'm going to do when I install it is immediately uninstall it and take my kids for some ice cream. Suck it, Steve! ;)

Anyway, I'm in for a GB. If somebody can nogotiate an even better deal, then swell. If not, we can pair-up and get the discount. I'm sorry, but I do not have the bandwidth to administrate a GB.

first, I like where these Ford Racing collaborations are going. And getting, what feels like, a factory-supported rollbar seems to be going the way of the techquipmemt Porsche stuff...and I like that.

interesting design. not sure I buy the hype about not using someone else's corner gussets....but I understand (probably, primarily, from a liability standpoint) why they'd go with something safety tested by the factory.

the two things that really caught my attention were shown to me by the local race shop / cage builder who drew up plans for a 4-point in my car (though I was going to do a full weld-in)...1) no bends in the down bars, and 2) the inboard mounting of the downbars. the guys here felt than connecting to that center bulkhead was going to be significantly stronger / safer than going to shock towers....even though there's obvious benefit to tying together the shock towers from a stiffness / handling perspective.

I'm in for a GB. I'm running the Texas Mile in October, and this looks to fit the bill perfectly. I can wait a few days for a group, but am ready with CC in hand to buy today if possible!

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
I was ready to order the MM 4-point bar not knowing when this one would be available. I've seen it in person and it's a pretty nice piece.

Count me in for a group buy.

Says powdercoating is included in the price, but does anyone know if it is only being offered in any other colors?

I called them yesterday but didn't get a call back. Hopefully I'll talk to them on Monday. I don't see an option for a different color. It looks like a gray that matches the interior which is fine with me. I'm hoping they used something close to the sterling gray used on the 2013 LS cars. BTW because it's already powder coated it will be easy to powder coat it a different color. Maybe $100-200.

Group buy members:

Dig-It - Kevin
SchoolBoss
Jimmy Bribble - Jimmy
JScheier - John
Wingrider - Doug
NFSBoss - Rick

Maybe:
fuhrius - John

Already ordered:

MCM - Mike

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
Rick, I have one more willing to get in. His name is Todd and he has a 2012 LS.
I will direct him here and have him sign up of he isn't already a member.
One thing to keep in mind, this has NOT been tested and/or known to fit with the LS Rear Seat delete kit.

mcmmotorsports said:
Rick, I have one more willing to get in. His name is Todd and he has a 2012 LS.
I will direct him here and have him sign up of he isn't already a member.
One thing to keep in mind, this has NOT been tested and/or known to fit with the LS Rear Seat delete kit.
I have the LS RSD kit but I'm not going to use it with this or any other bar. Too nice and expensive to cut up. I'll order this RSD kit, same one Gary uses.

http://www.rearseatdelete.com/mustangcoupe05.html

I'm interested in the GB. I'd really like to see installed Boss pictures and installation feedback here before I commit.

Steve

SDS said:
I'm interested in the GB. I'd really like to see installed Boss pictures and installation feedback here before I commit.

Steve

This! How involved is the installation as I would need to do this myself? If possible I would like to see the installation instructions to see if this is something I can handle myself.

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
Highpower11 said:
This! How involved is the installation as I would need to do this myself? If possible I would like to see the installation instructions to see if this is something I can handle myself.
I have the instructions and will post them when I get home.
Much easier install than the MM bar and pretty close to the Cooltech.

Heard rumors of this bar coming out and once Mike posted the news I placed an order direct with Patrick at Watson Racing. Mine should arrive mid-week. Already prepped car for install (scuff plates are a biznitch to remove, drivers side is now junk!) I called about the lower "buy two" price, but was informed they must be shipped to same location to receive discount. Watkins Glen 9/11, 9/12 !

TMO Supporting Vendors