The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Watson Racing Roll Bar Group Buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
wherermykeys said:
Sorry to ressurect this thread. Also, hi everyone. First post here.

How are you guys with this bar installed bringing your tires to the track? Can you still fit a set of wheels in your car?
Doubtful. I had planned on doing a tire trailer.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I don't see how tires would go in unless you put two in the trunk and pull your front seat to fit the other two, along with a good way to secure those two.

wherermykeys said:
Sorry to ressurect this thread. Also, hi everyone. First post here.

How are you guys with this bar installed bringing your tires to the track? Can you still fit a set of wheels in your car?

If you are thinking about a trainler try a Hidden Hitch from Etrailer.com and wiring for about $200. I put one on then got a 4'x5' utility trailer from lowes for $360. Bolted a black painted 2"x6" across the middle towards the front to support the track tires then use rachet straps to secure them. Finally, I bolted a large heavy duty lockable plastic bin (also from Lowes) to the back postion of the trailer. It looks pretty good and fits 4 wheels/tires, all my tools, spare parts a several gas cans perfectly...all for about $600. It's a great temporary setup until I can afford a truck and car trailer.

I am interested in purchasing this product. I spoke with Patrick and if I can get even one more person, he'll cut us a deal. Is anyone interested in another group buy? Let me know. If I don't hear anything, I'll probably get it at retail in a few days. Thanks.

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
further said:
I am interested in purchasing this product. I spoke with Patrick and if I can get even one more person, he'll cut us a deal. Is anyone interested in another group buy? Let me know. If I don't hear anything, I'll probably get it at retail in a few days. Thanks.

I wish I had seen your note earlier...I'm looking to buy one. PM me if you haven't purchased already.

Boostd4 said:
I wish I had seen your note earlier...I'm looking to buy one. PM me if you haven't purchased already.

Just finished the install on Saturday. Sorry bud. No discount for me either.

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
further said:
Just finished the install on Saturday. Sorry bud. No discount for me either.

Oh well ;). How do you like it so far? Still the best solution out there IMO.

Boostd4 said:
Oh well ;). How do you like it so far? Still the best solution out there IMO.

null_zpsf1250042.jpg

null_zpsff2c2a53.jpg

null_zps471a6673.jpg

Forgive the poor photos performed at night using my phone. Gutted the back and did the install a week ago. I just removed some of the seatbelt hardware. I'm reinstalling the panels this week. I thought about a delete kit but my plan is to just use the rear bottom leaving the trunk separator out, and remove the seat bottom for track days. The Watson delete kit is nice but $$.

A couple of bits of advice: Make your drill holes much larger than the recommended sizes to allow some lineup error. Be careful drilling the rear plate hole closer to the driver. It is millimeters from a wire pack. Patrick and I chuckled at that. It's solid, removable and real pretty. The chassis stiffens up a bit too.

Boostd4

Relapsed Turbo Addict
further said:
Forgive the poor photos performed at night using my phone. Gutted the back and did the install a week ago. I just removed some of the seatbelt hardware. I'm reinstalling the panels this week. I thought about a delete kit but my plan is to just use the rear bottom leaving the trunk separator out, and remove the seat bottom for track days. The Watson delete kit is nice but $$.

A couple of bits of advice: Make your drill holes much larger than the recommended sizes to allow some lineup error. Be careful drilling the rear plate hole closer to the driver. It is millimeters from a wire pack. Patrick and I chuckled at that. It's solid, removable and real pretty. The chassis stiffens up a bit too.

Awesome! By any chance do you have pics of the backing plates they supplied? Also, does it include Grade 8 hardware?

Boostd4 said:
Awesome! By any chance do you have pics of the backing plates they supplied? Also, does it include Grade 8 hardware?

Check it out.

http://www.watsonracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/WR-4-POINT-ROLL-BAR.pdf

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
I left mine in during the install. Use the foam packing material as a paint protector.
Tape it to the rocker panels and door jams to prevent damaging the car and bar as you will be putting it in and taking it out a few times during install.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Rick
Pull the front seats. You are tall, you'll be glad you did. I don't think you could get the main hoop in without pulling at least one.

Also tape masking paper on the sills and jamb on the side you are bringing it in on to prevent scratches to the paint. And have a helper, I did the cool tech bar alone except for the down tubes, it's nice if you have a helper all the way.
Steve

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Swiss Boss said:
I left mine in too and I'm 175cm (Sorry couldn't figure the foot stuff yet).
Also I did alone. Could have use some help to make it easier but nobody was available.
The biggest pain I had was putting the side panel back in.

You are 5 foot 9 inches.
I'm 6'-1" and 275 so I need as much working room as possible.
Hope it goes well Rick, post or email if you need help with anything, I could use a good excuse to go to California.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors