The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Gen1 Watts Link input for a ‘66 coupe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Utah
Mike Maier Inc has some good ideas and suspension parts for these old Mustangs. They were developed while racing and winning.
I'm using Maier stuff but its from the original shop he had with his brother Charles. Top notch stuff and it'll be interesting to see my lap times compared to newer models when the car is done.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Utah
Thanks for the input so far. So I had one local guy steering me toward Maier for their rear end suspension which uses their springs and panhard. I’m still not entirely settled and this seems to have more varying opinions than asking what’s the best motor oil lol. I may look also at the MTF setup with the lower arms that replace the springs. This is fairly new to me as the only cars I’ve ever owned have been 66-71 Mustangs with leafs and close to stock suspension. If a link/Watts setup, do all of these coil overs need regular rebuilds?

I'm using Maier stuff on my car but using his brother Charles in Hayward, CA. Mike used to work there as well but started his own place. Check out Charles because his stuff is the OG and it doesn't try to be to fancy to stick out. Let me know if you have any questions about anything. I have all the parts, painting my wheel wells this week and getting my spindles back from the fab shop that put on brakes mounts so I can us S197 brake kits.

Check out my build thread. I am going to 90-95% race/track but street civil.

That very well may be. I just assumed thought they were brothers. I've only talked with Charles and it was after Mike started his own shop down south.
They are brothers . Bill (the dad) started maier racing back in the 70s . He actually raced a trans am coupe back in the hayday ..

TMO Supporting Vendors