The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Watts Link vs Panhard Bar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here's a good article describing the differences between the two rear suspension types. It features the @CorteX Racing watts link.

http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories/brakes-suspension/the-differences-between-a-panhard-bar-and-a-watts-link/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-differences-between-a-panhard-bar-and-a-watts-link

2015-08-14_23-18-50-640x427.jpg
2015-08-14_23-18-57-640x430.jpg
2015-08-14_23-18-44-640x401.jpg

Thanks for posting this. Yeah, when I called to schedule my appointment with Cortex, they were trying to coax me into getting their Watts link. Maybe later...

FWIW were running the pnahard bar, I know the Watts makes much more sense, but AJ and Kurt love their PHB over the Watts....we had a Watts car and converted it to the PHB to keep conformity after testing it.

beats me...lol

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
blacksheep-1 said:
FWIW were running the pnahard bar, I know the Watts makes much more sense, but AJ and Kurt love their PHB over the Watts....we had a Watts car and converted it to the PHB to keep conformity after testing it.

beats me...lol

Oh Boy..... Was just trying to get a Cortex Watts link and Torque arm.... No slipping back into undecided territory again!! :eek:

Seems to me that the Watts link is unquestionably better, but if you already have a stiffer and lowered suspension then maybe you won't need it really? You would definitely feel a difference with the stock suspension that has a lot of travel. But would you still notice a significant difference on p springs and konis like a lot of guys here? Just trying to get an idea of bang for my buck when I inevitably upgrade the dampersand springs.

WinterSucks said:
Seems to me that the Watts link is unquestionably better, but if you already have a stiffer and lowered suspension then maybe you won't need it really? You would definitely feel a difference with the stock suspension that has a lot of travel. But would you still notice a significant difference on p springs and konis like a lot of guys here? Just trying to get an idea of bang for my buck when I inevitably upgrade the dampersand springs.

we have a LOT of travel in our cars

I have the cortex watts link with the stock suspension (and stock rear UCR). The watts link stiffened up the rear pretty nicely. The car's more predictable when running over big curbs at the track.

One of the best purchases I've made for the car. I may grab the torque arm down the line.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
F.D. Sako said:
I have the cortex watts link with the stock suspension (and stock rear UCR). The watts link stiffened up the rear pretty nicely. The car's more predictable when running over big curbs at the track.

One of the best purchases I've made for the car. I may grab the torque arm down the line.

FDS:

I have been thinking about changing out my KB rear suspension bits and going with the Cortex Watts link, LCA's and Relo Brkts. I see you like your new setup, but which performance did you go with, (Street or Track), and how is the NVH?

Looking to quite things down a tad back there as my KB setup is nearing 20k miles and is getting ready for replacement/rebuild. I don't mind some noise.

After the Watts Link install did you have to make any changes to your front sway bar, or perhaps add a set of adjustable sway bar end links? Do you run a rear sway bar with the new setup?

Also will update my UCA with the Roush unit or the MultiMatic unit.

Thank you so much,
Dave
302 HP

Dave,

I went with the street version of the wattslink. The wattslink did increase NVH a little bit compared to my previous full stock suspension. I've always had loud gear whine, the wattslink increased it just a bit more, but nothing I couldn't tolerate over the already loud whine. The wattslink also introduced a "clunk" when going over big bumps and pot holes, which again doesn't bother me much.

Prior to running the wattslink, the only modification I had was an 18mm rear sway bar, along with camber plates and a square setup at the track. Once the wattslink was installed I had decent amount of understeer that I could not dial out with adjusting the pivot point in the wattslink. I contacted Filip at cortex, and he recommended I go back to the stock rear bar, which balanced the car out nicely. Then I fine tuned the balance with the pivot point. The car rotates beautifully with my stock shocks set at 5F/3R. I did purchase an adjustable whiteline front sway, but didn't need to install it.

You may get a little more NVH increase with the upgrade of rear UCA. I have yet to purchase cortex's torque arm.

I've said this multiple times and I'll say it again :p. The wattslink reduced my laptimes by inspiring more confidence in the car. The rear end always feels settled during corner exit. Jumping over curbs is fun now ;D.

-Sarkis

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
When is jumping over berms/curbs/rumbles not fun?

Looking forward to getting my BMR Watts link on so I can compare to the PHB.

Dave if you're driving your Boss on the street get the street version. I had some increased NVH from installing my FRPP panhard bar and LCA's but did not notice any increase from there when I installed the CorteX watts link. I was told the panhard bar was more the culprit than the LCA's. With the CorteX watts link you also have the option of adding the torque arm which eliminates the UCA.

I was skeptical about installing the watts link on my car but I talked to Dean Martin about it at the PWC race at Sonoma in 2014 and he convinced me to try it. I was not disappointed. Just like FD stated you can hit the curbing on track and the car no longer gets unsettled. I was a noticeable difference. I also thought it might be BS about noticing the difference from left to right transitions but I noticed it right away. No longer did the car jump to the left when hitting hard bumps either. Instead it just sucked them up and went straight. Filip at CorteX will tell you that the first suspension mod you should make is installing the watts link and I'm a believer in that approach. I'm sure the KB panhard bar relocation kit works fine and I spent an hour talking to both Kenny and Chuck at MM about the merits of their kits. But the watts link made more sense to me and I'm glad I went in that direction. Good luck on your decision.

The CorteX watts link is more complicated to install but it's a quality piece of hardware.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
VooDooBOSS said:
Dave if you're driving your Boss on the street get the street version. I had some increased NVH from installing my FRPP panhard bar and LCA's but did not notice any increase from there when I installed the CorteX watts link. I was told the panhard bar was more the culprit than the LCA's. With the CorteX watts link you also have the option of adding the torque arm which eliminates the UCA.

I was skeptical about installing the watts link on my car but I talked to Dean Martin about it at the PWC race at Sonoma in 2014 and he convinced me to try it. I was not disappointed. Just like FD stated you can hit the curbing on track and the car no longer gets unsettled. I was a noticeable difference. I also thought it might be BS about noticing the difference from left to right transitions but I noticed it right away. No longer did the car jump to the left when hitting hard bumps either. Instead it just sucked them up and went straight. Filip at CorteX will tell you that the first suspension mod you should make is installing the watts link and I'm a believer in that approach. I'm sure the KB panhard bar relocation kit works fine and I spent an hour talking to both Kenny and Chuck at MM about the merits of their kits. But the watts link made more sense to me and I'm glad I went in that direction. Good luck on your decision.

The CorteX watts link is more complicated to install but it's a quality piece of hardware.

Rick:

I agree, looks like quality manufacturing by Cortex.

What did you run in regard to sway bars?

Thank you,
Dave
2HP

Here's a pic of me at VIR on a curb. If you zoom in, my rear driver tire is in the air and you can see rubber pieces between the tire and the asphalt!
It's more clear in the original version, this one's resized for easier uploads.

3c84bc52-5edb-4dec-841e-1fdbdc81c7ff_zpswkrcxbdq.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel