The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Watts link

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Ryder

Retriever Racing
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
machesney park, ill.
I'm planning on going to 18x11 wheels for next year on my '07 Mustang. Will I have clearance issues with the panhard bar? Is a watts like required to stuff that big meat in the back??

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Based on my experience, it'll be the offset (more accurately the backspacing) that will determine any need for more positive lateral axle location as far as the wheels are concerned. Tire size is another (obviously). Shallower offsets/backspacings will have less need for this, at the expense of 'poke' and fender-side interference. Deeper offsets, the reverse.

I have 18x11 wheels on my car and only did a little DIY stiffening of the bushings in the OE PHB as far as axle location was concerned. Though I did trim the shock boots down a bit because I was initially getting a little contact there (I suspect the offset of my rear wheels to be a bit deeper than Apex's +52). I also trimmed the transportation hold-down brackets (leaving the bump stop contact portion in place), mostly to make a little extra room for tire removal. At my age you want to make the heavier jobs a little less taxing when you can.

Norm

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
Hey Jim, a watts link is not required by any means to fit our 18x11s on the rear of the car. I would suggest an adjustable panhard bar though if you have lowered the car, as the axle will shift sideways and need to be brought back centered.

Jim Ryder

Retriever Racing
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
machesney park, ill.
Hey Jim, a watts link is not required by any means to fit our 18x11s on the rear of the car. I would suggest an adjustable panhard bar though if you have lowered the car, as the axle will shift sideways and need to be brought back centered.
Thank you for your input! soon as I have the cash I will be ordering wheels!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Newer machine here , but only issue I had in the rear was a tiny bit of rub on the back sway bar ( solved with a 1/8 inch spacer ). Doubt I will even have that concern next year as will switch over to the Toyo RRs in NASA for the ability to lose some more weight under the tire rules and they are narrower than the BFG 315/18s. Good luck and you will like the Apex rims as the price is fair and they are light.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Did not rub with Pirelli slicks, R7s, but the BFG R1Ss ( 315/30/18s ) are a bit wider than both -- barely rubbed , but skinny spacer solved it. Sway bar is the one from Ford Performance that came on the Boss S from the factory.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

TMO Supporting Vendors