The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Watts link

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good question. I have a Fays2 sitting in the garage for the Boss. My dealer sales manager has a 5.0 and he ordered one too. I'm going to wait for him to put his on and see how it's working before installing mine. I worked with Sam Strano on recommendations and he is an SCCA autox champ and he has a 5.0. I'd suggest giving him a call to get his take.

Another reason I decided to wait (we'll see what happens in reality...I'm impatient) is to track it with the panhard bar first and then with the Watts link to see if there's any improvement in lap times. On the GT500, I rushed into too many mods changing too many things at once without knowing what specifically lowered lap times.

GA
cloud9 said:
Good question. I have a Fays2 sitting in the garage for the Boss. My dealer sales manager has a 5.0 and he ordered one too. I'm going to wait for him to put his on and see how it's working before installing mine. I worked with Sam Strano on recommendations and he is an SCCA autox champ and he has a 5.0. I'd suggest giving him a call to get his take.

Another reason I decided to wait (we'll see what happens in reality...I'm impatient) is to track it with the panhard bar first and then with the Watts link to see if there's any improvement in lap times. On the GT500, I rushed into too many mods changing too many things at once without knowing what specifically lowered lap times.

That Sam Strano knows his stuff. He is a regular on the Bullitt forum.

roketman said:
Spoke with a test driver /cad development engineer today about the watts.He stated the car doesn’t need it .He said the car is so developed ,its perfect .Having driven a prototype 302 in Oct at VIR .I must agree.
That's why mine is still sitting in a box in my garage. After the track event this weekend I might put it up for sale. This car handles so much better than I could have imagined.

cloud9 said:
That's why mine is still sitting in a box in my garage. After the track event this weekend I might put it up for sale. This car handles so much better than I could have imagined.
That's saying a lot. Does it handle as good as your GT500 with all the mods? We're all looking forward to your comments this weekend from your first track day. Remember no texting while driving. ;D

A test driver for Ford and a salesman for suspension....Those are the last two guys I listen to for advise.

5 DOT 0 said:
cloud9 said:
That's saying a lot. Does it handle as good as your GT500 with all the mods? We're all looking forward to your comments this weekend from your first track day. Remember no texting while driving. ;D
On the street there is no comparison. I didn't realize how poorly my GT500 handled even with all the mods until I got back in it. The weight distribution is the thing you notice the most. The Boss is superbly balanced by comparison. I am guessing they improved all of the 10+ Mustangs from the 05-09 but I haven't driven the GTs so can't say with certainty.

908ssp said:
A test driver for Ford and a salesman for suspension....Those are the last two guys I listen to for advise.
I'm certainly no suspension expert, so will be looking for others to test and tune for advice. I'm not going to be the suspension guinea pig. At this point, I'll be in a wait and see mode and looking for people with more experience for guidance on what works/doesn't work.

cloud9 said:
On the street there is no comparison. I didn't realize how poorly my GT500 handled even with all the mods until I got back in it. The weight distribution is the thing you notice the most. The Boss is superbly balanced by comparison. I am guessing they improved all of the 10+ Mustangs from the 05-09 but I haven't driven the GTs so can't say with certainty.
I'm no Mustang expert but when I drove my first 10+ GT, a Roush Stage 2, I was very impressed with the handling and every other aspect of the car. It far exceeded my expectations. I've driven five other GT's since then including a couple of BBP cars and they all had a similar feel but none as good as the Roush. I suspect the Boss is similar or better than the Roush. My wait continues... :'(

cloud9 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
cloud9 said:

This is how I feel about my 04 Cobra compared to my BOSS. There is no comparison.

GA
cloud9 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
cloud9 said:

The '08 Bullitt is like night and day compared to my '07 GT premium. The Bullitt is very balanced and has controlled "light on its feet" handling compared to the regular GT of that generation.; my HPDE instructors who were Vette, Viper, and Porsche drivers were surprised by how well it handles. Many of the changes that went into the performance of the '10 GT were developed and included on the Bullitt, and I could feel it when I test drove one. The '11+ improved on it even more, and the Boss just takes it to a whole 'nother level.

1 Does it increase the rev limiter? Nope
2 Does it increase the speed limiter? Nope
The Track key does eliminate the dash pot.That is it lets the engine do the braking when you lift off the gas .It will kill your gas mileage on the street .Great for the track!There will also be a warning on the info screen "not for street use”.
The exhaust thing/baffle is to pass gov sound regs.Only for track use.
Rear diff cooler should not be needed.The ducting piece is very effective for trans and diff cooling.If the trans gets mushy ,it is over heating.Than get a diff/ trans cooler.Most people will never have this issue .
Hope this answers some questions .Lots of new info coming thru the pipe line soon.

roketman said:
1 Does it increase the rev limiter? Nope
2 Does it increase the speed limiter? Nope
The Track key does eliminate the dash pot.That is it lets the engine do the braking when you lift off the gas .It will kill your gas mileage on the street .Great for the track!There will also be a warning on the info screen "not for street use”.
The exhaust thing/baffle is to pass gov sound regs.Only for track use.
Rear diff cooler should not be needed.The ducting piece is very effective for trans and diff cooling.If the trans gets mushy ,it is over heating.Than get a diff/ trans cooler.Most people will never have this issue .
Hope this answers some questions .Lots of new info coming thru the pipe line soon.
Great info, thanks for checking.

So how about some more details of your drive in a Boss? Maybe compare it to the GT in your avatar?

TMO Supporting Vendors