The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Watts Link

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was thinking about going with a Watts Link suspension,not sure I like the Fays2 becauce of the exra weight and the axle clamps, considered the White Line , but in the end I believe the Cortex maybe the best.They seem to be well engineered with options for Diff cooling,temp gauge, and addition of Torque arm. Anyone here using Cortex, how about the Xtreme Grip package sounds good from what i have heard.

I'm also looking at the CorteX Extreme Grip kit with the soon to be available JRi SA dampers. I'm local to CorteX and have seen their product many times including a lot of Mustangs with this kit. Quality it top notch. There are several BMO members running their Watts link. Don't forget to order the offset front struts.

http://www.cortexracing.com/shop/xtreme-grip-suspension-complete-system-front-rear-street/

ccs-40-1000s-500x500.jpg

drano38

Wayne
I installed the Whiteline a year ago.
Overall, a good product, but I'd most likely go Cortex if I had to do it again.
Here's an install writeup I did. I had some issues, but was able to work thru it. And the company was very helpful.
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=5351.msg81347#msg81347
But I think for about $100 more, Cortex has a better setup.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Cortex has more bells and whistles built in (as far as filling/draining fluid, provisions for sensors/coolers etc), certainly looks more elegant.

I know the Fays 2 works, and the axle clamps aren't an issue, they've withstood a number of off-track excursions already with not even a hint of budging (I made multiple witness marks at install).

A buddy of mine just put the Whiteline in his 2013 Boss 302, he also have some fitment issues.The other 2013 Boss owner I know has the Fays 2 and loves it, he had to grind a fin off the Diff cover to fit a bolt.There are some that have concern using the Diff Cover as part of the Watts Link suspension, I don't as it has been proven on the track.I was going Whiteline, but after some research here and on other sites Cortex is going under my car.Thanks for helping me decide.

Don't know exactly when, but if you like me and have to wait for funds and for time, BMR is working on putting out a watts link as well. Looks like they have 2 kits in mind. One diff mounted, the other is chassis mounted.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1008038-BMR-Watts-Link-Teaser

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/86019-bmr-watts-link/

And steeda has one as well.

http://www.steeda.com/2011-2014-watts-link/

Smilieboy said:
Hey, don't shoot the messenger lol. I'm just pointing out options, the more I look at the cortex, the more I like it.
Just messing with you. But seriously I was at Sonoma yesterday for the World Challenge race and every Mustang there had a CorteX watts link installed. And Filip the owner of CorteX was there providing support for them. I didn't run across anyone from BMR. ;)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The only thing attractive about the BMR unit is the supposed price. But given their parts' track record on the road course (HAHAHA), I'd avoid it.

Steeda one is just a wonky Fays2 copy. Whiteline one uses poly bushings and limited roll center adjustments compared to Fays or Cortex.

At this point, the decision (IMO) is between Fays or Cortex.
Cortex is more expensive, but again, a little more "elegant" looking and lots of provisions for extras.

The real difference is how the axle translates in motion; the diff-mounted style of the Cortex (same for Whiteline) will translate up and down in line with the centerline of the vehicle. The chassis-mounted Fays unit translates with respect to the track surface--so it's (theoretically) going to follow the track surface better than a diff-mounted unit.

It all depends what beliefs you subscribe to, I suppose.
And if you're buying a Cortex suspension package, there's really no reason NOT to use their watts.

NFSBOSS said:
Just messing with you. But seriously I was at Sonoma yesterday for the World Challenge race and every Mustang there had a CorteX watts link installed. And Filip the owner of CorteX was there providing support for them. I didn't run across anyone from BMR. ;)

I know, trying to be sarcastic on the internet is hard lol. I spent some time at work researching this. I am seriously giving consideration to getting the cortex watts due to the adjust-ability and it's track record. But looking at also doing the TA with it. I did one in my 04 GT, the change was so amazing on how the car behaved and the rear end was just planted. I am wondering if i should do the same with the boss.

Regarding the torque arm member IsleJohn recently installed one on his Boss and maybe he'll chime in. His Boss is now a full time race car and when I saw him at Sonoma a few weeks ago he was very pleased with it. On the WC race cars I do not believe any of the cars run a TA but that's probably a rule thing. You should call Filip at CorteX and ask him about which driveshafts work with their TA.

I talk with Cortex today,he said there no problems with 1 piece Driveshafts and the Torque Arm, he did say 4'' was over kill and suggested I go with 3 1/2''DriveShaft,lighter and plenty strong enough for our Cars. I would like to go with Cortex Watts Link,Torque Arm,LCA s,Ford Racing M-5300T Springs.Then I can allways upgrade to Coilovers to get the full Extreme Grip in the future.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel