The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Waxing the windshield?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jec246

So, Some of the guys at work were talking about how they wax their windshield. I always thought it would hurt the windshield in the long term. Did a quick google search on it and it's a bit more common than I thought. What are y'alls thought on this? Will it damage the windshield or be better protection than a rainx type product? And is there a specific type of wax to use or not use? I am very curious as I read in various places it really helps in some cases. Thanks in advance!

I do it. Seems to keep bugs and stuff from sticking. It comes off pretty quick once it starts raining and I have to use the wipers (on my cars that see rain ;D ). I don't know how it could damage the windshield, as far as I know the coatings are still sandwiched inside the glass and not on the surface. It can gum up the wipers in the long term maybe, but I never had it happen.

You do need to be careful to get all the streaks and stuff out, otherwise the sun will catch it and blind you. But once it is nice and clear, it seems to resist glare better than Windexed glass.

But I am no expert, if anyone knows a reason it is bad.

I've been using this on my paint and exterior glass for years:

http://www.driwashsolutions.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=36&osCsid=ed7fee6112a49680695a430f56361e0c

It cleans the glass, gets rid of scum, and leaves it perfectly clear. I've even used it on the inside glass if I've bought a used car and it has film buildup on the glass. I bought it originally to use on my 2006 Dodge Charger Daytona because of the satin black hood and decals and have been using it exclusively as wax on that car since new. I've had no issues with using it on the windshield for over 6 years now.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I clay bar the windshield then eagle one 20/20 glass cleaner followed by adams glass sealant let that haze them remove excess with an other pass with the eagle one 20/20.
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-498-adams-glass-sealant.aspx
I also sometimes just put layers of Zaino over it if I am doing zaino layers on the paint.

Justin said:
I clay bar the windshield then eagle one 20/20 glass cleaner followed by adams glass sealant let that haze them remove excess with an other pass with the eagle one 20/20.
I also sometimes just put layers of Zaino over it if I am doing zaino layers on the paint.

Why am I not surprised? ;)

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
CaliMR said:
Justin said:

Why am I not surprised? ;)
lol. I forgot to add I havent found anything that will last through a day of using the wipers.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
MrGT5oh said:
I wash, dry, then use Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer. I've been very happy with the results so far.

I've used this too and it works okay. I still use rainX the most, but have used wax in the past with no bad effects. Like Cali says, you have to wipe it clean or it can be tough to see through in glare conditions. Wax comes off quickly under wiper use, and I think Rain X lasts the longest with or without wiper use. It doesn't rain much in SoCal, but I used to live in Hawaii where it rained nearly every day.

I just use rainx.
Applying g the first coat is a little tough, as it leaves streaks and haze behind if not cleaned well. But additional coats are applied with much less effort.

BLAZN BOSS

IN my POS I use Rain x windshield washr fluid...........Now, after using it (filled up twice) the rain really sheds off.....sometimes I dont even use wipers. It has naturally treated the windshield. Now for my Boss, since it doesn't get driven in the rain I haven't tried this but I'm sure it will work. Bugs, and stuff wipe right off the POS.

Used to use rainx pure wax offering, but switched over to Klasse AIO & Sealant as that is what I used on the rest of the car. Lasts a long time and easier to take off than the rainx.

BLAZN BOSS said:
IN my POS I use Rain x windshield washr fluid...........Now, after using it (filled up twice) the rain really sheds off.....sometimes I dont even use wipers. It has naturally treated the windshield. Now for my Boss, since it doesn't get driven in the rain I haven't tried this but I'm sure it will work. Bugs, and stuff wipe right off the POS.

I use this in my work truck and now in all of my vehicals.I'm on the road a lot and if I'm doing 70+ on the highway you don't even need the wipers, the harder it rains the better it works and it's clear sailing next to the semi's in the rain too. +1 and 2 thumbs up

TMO Supporting Vendors