The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ways to improve heel toe?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys,

I've been trying to work on my heel toe downshifting so I can rev match downshift but for the life of me I can't seem to get it! I've got a larger foot (11.5) so it seems I can't actually heel toe but my feet aren't wide enough to span the gap to use the inside of my foot to run the brake and the outside to blip the gas. Anybody have any ideas to help me out? I've recently bought a pair of sparco driving shoes but have not had many chances to really try them.

And input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Use the ball of your foot and big toe on the brake and roll the right side of your foot/heel over the throttle.

I suggest practicing holding the brake down and blipping the throttle at stops or in your driveway. Just to get used to the motion in your right foot first.

I've tried that a few times, and sitting still I can manage it but while moving I either slam the hell outta the break or barely touch the throttle. Is there a possible way to move the throttle pedal forward to make it more flush with the brake so you foot is not at such a extreme angle?

You can add an extension to the gas pedal. This is the company I used. http://www.srpracing.com/
I use the left side of my foot (ball) and roll my foot over to tap the throttle.
It's really tough to practice heal/toe as you need to be at speed to really get the feel of the brake pedal when its being pushed on hard in relationship to the height of the gas pedal.

cosm3os said:
Ball of foot on brake and rotate your heel out (go pigeon toe) and press heel down on accelerator.

Exactly! Watch some old videos of Elvis doing his step.

Also, SRP fat gas pedal.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Managing the brake pressure takes practice. Back to the practice standing still...hold the brake pressure steady and make your blips. If you make a mess while rolling, then you aren't holding the brake pedal steady...and focus on that when you are rolling.

Moving the gas pedal forward would make it harder for you to make the blip under heavy braking and track conditions. I'd actually prefer to move the brake forward a bit for the track. The SRP side extension/wide pedal mentioned above should help if you're having trouble going pigeon toed.

Or order an Auto-Blip. 8)

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=4435.msg96285#msg96285

I was told by the BSR guys at Summit that if you aren't braking hard enough then that can cause an issue with your heel toe even if your form is perfect. If you don't brake hard enough then you allow the small movement towards the gas to either cause you to stop quicker or lessen the brake pressure your apply and not scrub enough of your momentum.

I used to practice heel-toe a lot, but never felt comfortable. Then I realized, I had to change my foot position all together when driving.

I used to put my heel on the floor in between the gas and brake pedal. So, my foot would rotate right when applying gas, and left when applying brakes. This made it hard to heel-toe, because when my foot was on the brakes, I had to rotate my heel a good amount to the left to reach the gas pedal. This caused very inconsistent brake pressure application.

Now, I've been placing my heel right in front of the gas pedal, so my foot is parallel with the gas pedal when accelerating. And when applying brakes, I rotate my ankle towards the brake pedal. This somewhat forces me to brake with the ball of my foot, and depending on the shoe, I'll have enough heel over the gas to blip it.

Below is a professional rendering of what mess I just tried to explain :eek:
By the way, I'm still not all good at heel-toeing. Just wanted to share what "phases" I went through before finding somewhat of a comfortable foot position. If anyone has a better foot position, please do share!

heel-toe_zps8a11910f.png

I'm gonna try out some of the things stated here. I've tried a few times while driving normally or a little spirited and always look like a jackass in the end when I hit a hell of a lot more brakes then I originally intended!

kody said:
I'm gonna try out some of the things stated here. I've tried a few times while driving normally or a little spirited and always look like a jackass in the end when I hit a hell of a lot more brakes then I originally intended!

I think some of that comes from not braking as hard as needed on the street, plus I am sure most race car drivers have manual brakes so that helps to with the force required to have the brake pedal depress.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
NFSBOSS said:
Or order an Auto-Blip. 8)

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=4435.msg96285#msg96285
+1 let technology do the work then you can concentrate on driving

TMO Supporting Vendors