The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Weekend Track Warrior Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
NJ
With the front splitter done, I took to mirroring the 302S trunk lid bracing to install the Nine Lives Racing big wang. Thanks to @zajac for the inspo on the brackets. I picked up a V6 deck lid with no sat antenna or wing holes as a cheaper alternative to patching mine at an auto body shop.

With a few pics that @zajac shared and using cardboard to mock up 302s-esque inner wing supports, I spent a night or two learning super basic design using OnShape. The free version is pretty intuitive and I came up with the following

IMG_2438.jpeg
I sent this off to sendcutsend to produce out of .125 inch thick aluminum and was super happy with the cost, quality and speed of delivery.
IMG_2461.jpeg

Then, I modified 1 inch aluminum spacers from Amazon to fit in between the outer and inner skins and inner brackets to secure the wing. The bolts go through the top wing holes, rubber isolators I quickly whipped up for weather and paint protection, outer and inner lid skin and aluminum bracket. Longer bolts are needed with this setup since the Nine Lives were too short. My wife’s help made it much much easier to align everything. Would be near impossible by yourself. I then riveted the support where it contacted the inner skin. Since I’m still learning to weld, I had a local weldery add supports similar to the OE 302s as well.
IMG_2667.jpeg
IMG_2668.jpeg

Wing performed great at 0 AOA with the 3/4 inch gurney at VIR although it’s definitely gonna take a little time to use all the added advantages of the aero. For anyone else buying the Nine Lives wing, I’m happy to share the file for the inner skin brackets. This was my first time doing this sort of thing and am super happy with the results. Need to get the wing powder coated locally and clean up inner trunk lid paint.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel