The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Weighing options on new floor jack purchase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
My 20+ year old 2-ton craftsman needs a rebuild. I have looked into getting a rebuild kit, or taking it to a shop, but no luck. Been looking at the jacks at Harbor Freight, and it's too bad that the 68050 super low profile model isn't the one on sale for 50$ cheaper than the 68049. As you can see from the links, the 50 is super flat all the way back to the piston housing, where the 49 starts to slope upwards 'sooner' providing less jacking depth for the cradle. This isn't an issue if you are just going to jack at the pinch welds or at the areas close to wheels as discussed in the 'proper jacking' thread, complete with color coded Boss image on it's side.

http://www.harborfreight.com/low-profilehigh-lift-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-2-ton-heavy-duty-68050.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/low-profile-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-25-ton-heavy-duty-steel-68049.html

I was looking at the 'recommended area' of the frame rail that was labeled '2x4' on the above mentioned diagram. Seems like the 50 jack would reach no problem, but the 49 might just miss it. The 49 is listed as on sale for 79.99$ until 1/31, but online coupon gets it for 5 bucks cheaper. You get a different handle design with the 49, no knob at the top, and no foot pedal.

I realize you are rolling the dice big time buying anything from HF, and some folks purchase an extended warranty. Others recommend replacing the jack oil with your own, and bleeding it yourself as supposedly this can remove contaminates that can destroy the seals that will lead to leaks and premature failure.

I could always buy it just before the end of the month, and then return it if the 50 goes on sale, as that looks like the model that is ideal for our low to the ground Boss Mustangs. I have also heard that the Arcan 35 is available at some Costco's and is a great jack, but pictures seem to show it's more like the design of my old Craftsman, that is only good for jacking by the pinch welds are just inside of them. I had inquired on a craigslist ad for a 'vintage' floor jack that looked to be perfect, but it was gone before I could meet the guy.

IMG_1436.jpg
IMG_1437.jpg
IMG_1438.jpg
IMG_1439.jpg
IMG_1440.jpg
IMG_1439-1.jpg
IMG_1440-1.jpg

Harbor Freight stuff is not always the best however I have had good luck with the jacks from them, been using different types for years. I bought one of the low profile steel jacks for the Boss but now I only use that on the truck (3 ton). Too much of a pain to get all the way under and not really needed.

I mainly lift the Boss with the lightweight rapid pump jack I picked up on sale. Using this with the red pad they sell works great on the pinch welds and does not damage anything. When needed I put a jack stand with a plastic cover or piece of 2x4 between the stand and the frame rail.

My old jack bit the dust last Summer and I replaced it with the aluminum low profile jack from Harbor Freight. It works well and the aluminum jack is much easier to move around and position.

NFSBOSS said:
My old jack bit the dust last Summer and I replaced it with the aluminum low profile jack from Harbor Freight. It works well and the aluminum jack is much easier to move around and position.

I have the low profile aluminum jack as well, and so far it has been working well. It's usually on sale every other month (with a coupon) for $50-60.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Iwent with the OTC two speed aluminum jack.

Light weight, 4 pumps to extend the jack fully then the second speed lifts the car.

Will pick up the rear with P springs from the center. Front requires parking the car on a 2x4 to reach the center of the K member.

I've been using this exact jack as well. Though I usually only use it to lift the car high enough to get it onto the lift. Maybe I should invest in some ramps... lol

My OTC got damaged recently so I replaced it with this. It had great reviews and after using for a couple of days I'm quite pleased with it. Bought it off Ebay.

KGrHqJ%2C%21iwFBLdVbLr%2BBQmZ7U33Rg~~60_3%5B1%5D-M.jpg

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Been considering the same two...just for the garage. I take an aluminum one from Harbor Freight to the track. All my other steel jacks don't fit under the GT.

This is expensive, but I got it as a gift and its the best jack I've ever used:
http://www.amazon.com/OTC-1533-Aluminum-Anniversary-Edition/dp/B002QMV70M/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=36G8WJKZX676V&coliid=I1KQKBI209BEPA&psc=1

ace72ace

Tonywaz BOSS said:
Ace,
I have been eyeing floor jacks as well. I have an advertisement from my 5.0 magazine that has the 68050 model for $99.99.

Hey thanks! This is the one I want! Is this magazine still on the newstands so I can snag my own copy? If you look at the fine print, how long is the coupon valid?

You don't need the actual ad, I have printed out many HF coupons off the net and used them at the store. See if Tonywaz can scan a better close up copy of the jack from that page for you (so the bar code shows better) and you will be all set.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/772012/?start=320

ace72ace said:
http://www.amazon.com/Arcan-ALJ3T-Aluminum-Floor-Jack/dp/B0047D2FWM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359292480&sr=8-1&keywords=Arcan+ALJ3T+Aluminum+Floor+Jack

It's been out of stock for a while now. That's why I bought mine off e-bay since I needed it and didn't want to wait.

just print that; as long as they can read the numbers and punch it in, you'll be ok.
you can even show that page to them on your smart phone. i've done that with the coupons they send via email.

ace72ace said:
Hey thanks! This is the one I want! Is this magazine still on the newstands so I can snag my own copy? If you look at the fine print, how long is the coupon valid?

It was from a 5.0 a couple of months ago. Expires Feb 9, 2013. Here is a better copy. Took a picture of it instead of a scan.

ace72ace

F.D. Sako said:
just print that; as long as they can read the numbers and punch it in, you'll be ok.
you can even show that page to them on your smart phone. i've done that with the coupons they send via email.

It says right on the coupon - Original coupon must be presented. I guess it all depends on the store? I will stop by and ask them and see what they say. Maybe I can get Tony to drop the coupon in the mail for me should my local store insist on the original? :D

TMO Supporting Vendors