The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Weighing options on suspension upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
This week I can’t It’s the vintage weekend up at road America I’m taking the kids up on Friday and potentially Saturday if I can. Do u know when the next one is???
The next one after July 15th is August 12th.

CA
Hoping to go with Nitto NT01s, widest I can fit on a 19x11 wheel.
Ok, 315 NT01's will have a lot of body roll with spring rates lower than 400# since that is a lot of grip from those tires. This isn't that big of a deal from a performance standpoint, but the comfort level for you as a driver will be questionable given all the body roll. I drove my car for years with exactly that setup (315 NT01's, 200# and 225# springs) and the car was fast, but the body roll was pretty wild. You can run stiff sway bars to help combat this but only to a certain point.

I also disagree with super high spring rates over 500-550 being needed for a street car. and 700-800 is pretty far out for almost any car. I am a stiff spring guy and test rates up to 800 and my car turns better and is faster as I dropped rate back to the 450-550 range.

For your needs I would look hard at the Ford kit and if you want an upgrade from that, spring for the Vorshlag kit shown. Whatever you, make sure you can add camber to the front.

And why bother with any upgrades if Nitto NT01 are going to be the tires? :) These are not great on track, terrible at autocross and will be terrible on the street. Besides that, they will be great...

DaveW

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicagoland
I also disagree with super high spring rates over 500-550 being needed for a street car. and 700-800 is pretty far out for almost any car. I am a stiff spring guy and test rates up to 800 and my car turns better and is faster as I dropped rate back to the 450-550 range.

For your needs I would look hard at the Ford kit and if you want an upgrade from that, spring for the Vorshlag kit shown. Whatever you, make sure you can add camber to the front.

And why bother with any upgrades if Nitto NT01 are going to be the tires? :) These are not great on track, terrible at autocross and will be terrible on the street. Besides that, they will be great...

DaveW
Haha oh boy well I’m open to tire recommendations as well. Only going off of what I’ve read online. Right now I’m running Hankook Ventus 12 Evo2 tires on my 19’ track pack wheels and they seem to be a fine summer tire. I’ve heard tremendous things about the Pilot Sport 4s

Sorry for my skepticism about the Nitto, I just don't understand how a 10 year old tire design that was never great to begin with keeps getting brought up with all the better tires that have come up in the past few years.

19x11 you want 305/30-19

Michelin PS4S and Continental Extreme Contact sports are both good options that lean towards streetable at the expense of outright grip on track. They are both magic in the wet.

Goodyear SC3 is a little less streetable but is good on track.

Continental ExtremeForce, Hankook RS4 and several others are out there as well depending on your goals.

DaveW

NJ
Haha oh boy well I’m open to tire recommendations as well. Only going off of what I’ve read online. Right now I’m running Hankook Ventus 12 Evo2 tires on my 19’ track pack wheels and they seem to be a fine summer tire. I’ve heard tremendous things about the Pilot Sport 4s
Having run one track day on Pilot Sport 4's personally I much prefer the Goodyear SC3. I know a lot of people love the Michelin and I still use them as my street/wet track tire. But for a dry day I wasn't particularly impressed. I actually preferred the old PS2's over these. Decent, but not tremendous grip and not a lot of warning before they let go (in my experience a typical Michelin trait). The SC3 in comparison gave a lot more confidence and have tremendous grip for a street tire. I found even the old SC2's to be more capable track tire than the PS4's, although a really shitty street tire.

I'm not a brand loyalist and have never tried Nitto's so not trying to sell or discourage anything, just my experience.

TMO Supporting Vendors