The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

WEIGHT BIAS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THIS MIGHT BE ON AN OLDER THREAD,BUT CURIOUS.WHATS THE WEIGHT BIAS,FRONT TO BACK ON THE 2012 BOSS,THE13'S AND THE LS,AND THE R MODELS?.I'M SURE IT'S NOT 50/50 ON A REGULAR BOSS.IT'D BE NEAT TO KNOW.

Welcome to BMO. The weight bias is out there and the Boss and LS cars will be the same.

boss742 said:
yikes, thats worse that I was thinking.great handling, considering its nose porky

Man, I don't know what band camp people go to and sit around deciding that 50/50 is God's own weight distribution, but I wish they would stop and just talk about girls or something.

2014 Porsche GT3
F: 39.3% R: 60.7%

As for the LS being ever-so-slightly better: a) Ford might have rounded their specs, b) the instrumented Car and Driver test might have happened with fuel in the tank, and c) the LS gets bigger (heavier?) wheels out back, which could account for a small difference.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
boss742 said:
something I noticed, when I swapped out the factory panhard bar, its filled with a sand, or lead fill, for either weighting, or sound control

Yeah, it's filled with shot for NVH control. Mustangs have always been front-heavy; I don't think you're going to see one at 50/50 even in the 2015 model.
The 302R and S cars are lighter for sure, but I'd wager that they are still front-heavy. With aftermarket suspension you can adjust so the weight bias is not a hindrance, but also you can dial in the cross-weights to 50/50, which is what you REALLY want for handling.

Blue Boss RS said:
I corner weighed mine with half tank of gas stock here were the results:

9237730280_09f184342c_c.jpg

8679241007_9e961995d0_z.jpg

Wheres your other .3% rear weight hiding? The percentage calibration might be off on your scale.

Memmer said:
Wheres your other .3% rear weight hiding? The percentage calibration might be off on your scale.

Yeah, that's weird. Anyway, it's 55.1% F/44.9% R.

Did somebody delete a post? I thought somebody showed their corner weights with lots of mods, including fiber hood and the results looked no different. I thought that was interesting.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Jimmy Pribble said:
Man, I don't know what band camp people go to and sit around deciding that 50/50 is God's own weight distribution, but I wish they would stop and just talk about girls or something.

2014 Porsche GT3
F: 39.3% R: 60.7%

As for the LS being ever-so-slightly better: a) Ford might have rounded their specs, b) the instrumented Car and Driver test might have happened with fuel in the tank, and c) the LS gets bigger (heavier?) wheels out back, which could account for a small difference.

I like my girl at 40%-26%-34%

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
I put a full spare in the trunk with jack. There is a thread on here somewhere that covers this. I figure I'm adding about 35 to 40 lbs. out back. I leave it in there at the track and I like it. Also its nice to have a actual spare while just driving around. Way easier then trying to get that out of the front.

Here are the numbers on my 2012 LS with a number of mods including a fiberglass hood. This was the 2nd time I weighed it and this time with the passenger seat in. The first time was without the seat. With the seat the left right balance improved by a half % and front rear improved by .2%. In both cases I was in the car.

F 54.7
R 45.3
L 51.5
R 48.5

TMO Supporting Vendors