The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Weight Reduction That Doesn't Ruin Your life/Safety, Thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CA
"Fits 5.0L Coyote, 4.6L, 5.4L or 5.8L Modular RWD with manual transmission and select automatic transmissions"
"Weighs approximately 6lbs"

These also work in "Ford Modular V8 4.6L, 5.0L Coyote, 5.4L, 6.2L, 6.8L" according to PowerMaster's eCatalog, and are less expensive.
PowerMaster PowerMax 9183 - 8 lbs
PowerMaster PowerMax Plus 9132 - 7 lbs
Bummer, the stock starter is only 2.8lbs more... But I am on the original starter for my car.

1667255892357.png

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
CA
LW flywheel and clutch. Saved 21 lbs by losing the v6 dual mass flywheel and clutch combo.
recaros are much lighter than the stock pony seats
Good call, I have a lightweight flywheel already but my clutch is mostly standard.

Are lightened clutches actually a thing? I read somewhere that generally speaking the lighter clutches have more plates, so the overall weight is usually the same

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Good call, I have a lightweight flywheel already but my clutch is mostly standard.

Are lightened clutches actually a thing? I read somewhere that generally speaking the lighter clutches have more plates, so the overall weight is usually the same
The Exedy Hyper single has a lightened chromoly flywheel and aluminum clutch cover, available in single or twin disc.
This is Kohr's "Go to" clutch for road racing. It's what I and many others here use....not sure if its the best but it works.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
A smaller multi disc clutch is about rotating weight. It may be the same or even heavier but the MOI is lower so the motor revs up quicker.
A heavier flywheel is good for top end charge while a lighter one works for quicker acceleration but lacks some of the top end charge, so choose wisely.

One good rule of thumb might be, heavy car: heavy flywheel. Light car, light flywheel. Long track, heavy flywheel, short track, light flywheel.
Other factors apply but these are some of the basics.

CA
The Exedy Hyper single has a lightened chromoly flywheel and aluminum clutch cover, available in single or twin disc.
This is Kohr's "Go to" clutch for road racing. It's what I and many others here use....not sure if its the best but it works.

Great info, thanks for sharing.

My car has a pretty fresh clutch and lightweight flywheel, so this road race setup will definitely get added to my list if I ever have the transmission out. I'd love to get a 6 speed with shorter gears. Or re-gear the tr3650

I wonder (in total) how much lighter this setup is.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Great info, thanks for sharing.

My car has a pretty fresh clutch and lightweight flywheel, so this road race setup will definitely get added to my list if I ever have the transmission out. I'd love to get a 6 speed with shorter gears. Or re-gear the tr3650

I wonder (in total) how much lighter this setup is.
close ratio magnum XL :)

CA
close ratio magnum XL :)
1667857112579.png

This would be sweet to have the gears nice and close....

That's one thing I love about my miata. The ratios between each gear are so small. Despite a little engine that car pulls at any RPM because the gearing is so short. Is it actually faster though? More shifting means more wear and tear, less time spent on the gas.....

When my TR3650 fails. I can't bring myself to pre-maturely replace such a huge component. Lol.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
View attachment 80824

This would be sweet to have the gears nice and close....

That's one thing I love about my miata. The ratios between each gear are so small. Despite a little engine that car pulls at any RPM because the gearing is so short. Is it actually faster though? More shifting means more wear and tear, less time spent on the gas.....

When my TR3650 fails. I can't bring myself to pre-maturely replace such a huge component. Lol.
It means you are always in the powerband instead of trying to pull a higher gear than necessary.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I read that a single piece driveshaft adds significant nvh over the OEM double piece. Is that correct?
I ran a one piece Steeda aluminum shaft with my MT82 without additional nvh. I run one piece shaft masters aluminum with my Magnum XL without any nvh. If the pinion angle is correct there shouldn't be any additional nvh.

TMO Supporting Vendors