The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Weight reduction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK, I know we have a 3600+ lb car so small weight savings take a while to add up. However, the relatively minor changes I've made (especially for track days) seem to have made an arguably significant dent.

Enkei PF01 wheels/Hoosier R6 295/315:
Front 60 street vs 45 - 15 lbs each x 2 = -30 lbs
Rear 58 street vs 49.2 - 9 lbs each x 2 = -18 lbs
Corsa Extreme axle backs (pair) 54 lbs stock vs 24 lbs = -30 lbs
Kooks Off-Road H-pipe 32 lbs stock vs 17 lbs = -15 lbs
Side pipe delete 5.5 lbs each = -11 lbs
Kooks LT headers vs stock manifolds = + 3lbs
Roll bar, mounts & harness bar +69 lbs.
Rear seat delete kit +12 lbs.
Remove rear seats and belts and factory mounts -54 lbs
Swap to the Tiger Hood -17 lbs
Remove washer bottle incl fluid -8 lbs
Remove flat repair kit -5 lbs
Sparco race seat 35lbs versus stock seat 46lbs = -11 lbs
302S tow hooks +2 lbs
FRPP air-to-oil cooler +8 lbs
1-pc DSS aluminum driveshaft vs stock -21 lbs
DS saftey loop +10 lbs
Trunk liner -7 lbs
Passenger seat -46 lbs (track only)
Watts link versus panhard bar +15 lbs
Rear axle weights -5 lbs
Battery relocation kit +25 lbs
Remove A/C condenser, compressor, lines and belt -21 lbs.

Total weight savings so far is 116 lbs with passenger seat and 162 without it.

With a curb weight of 3630, I'm at 3514 to 3468 with or without the passenger seat.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Bumper foam is not reused, bumper does not deform and is supported as an assembly at the heads lights, grille, wheel wells and fenders. Center of the bumper cover is very rigid not flexible as you would think. Basically this is a nerf bar no 5 mph protection etc. Cant park by feel for sure ::)
Steve

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
ArizonaGT said:
Steve: CoolTech just released their oil cooler kit, take a look at it--it uses a Setrab heat exchanger.
I did see Kendall's kit which looks very nice, what I didn't like is the location for mounting and the elimination of the water to oil Boss cooler. The coolant will bring the oil to operating temperature faster than with out and then the air to air cooler with flow thermostatically when needed in my system. Also I am going to place the air to air matrix away from the radiator and duct fresh air from a fog light opening and flow through out of the wheel arch. I probably will spend more money fabbing my idea but I do like to tinker.
Steve

steveespo said:
I probably will spend more money fabbing my idea but I do like to tinker.
Steve
Yeah we noticed that. ;)

Steve - below the radiator there looks to be a plastic piece or maybe metal with slots in it almost like a grill. What is behind that??? Do you see any benefit to cutting it up to get more air to flow back under the motor and to the tranny?

adam81 said:
Steve - below the radiator there looks to be a plastic piece or maybe metal with slots in it almost like a grill. What is behind that??? Do you see any benefit to cutting it up to get more air to flow back under the motor and to the tranny?
That's the plastic cover under the radiator and front of the engine. It's not the tranny scoop. I don't think you want to remove it.

Steve,

I see what it is now! I couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was..... I thought it was part of the car and that's how it looked when you took the front bumper off, but it didn't make any sense. It does now..... Thanks.

I wanted to bump this up with all the mods people seem to be doing. Put your weight savings or additions here.

Maybe we can make a stickie of stock weights..... ;)

adam81 said:
I wanted to bump this up with all the mods people seem to be doing. Put your weight savings or additions here.

Maybe we can make a stickie of stock weights..... ;)
I updated my original post with the weight saving/adding mods and made this a sticky.

has anyone pulled / weighed their stock battery yet?

on my last weight weenie project - a boxster - the stock battery weighed 45 pounds. replaced it with a 15 lb battery from odyssey that worked great (and was AGM so it was fully sealed) - 30 pound reduction for $150!

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Here's my solution for weight reduction on my LS - it'll reduce more weight than any other ideas you guys have had ! (at least for me anyway ;D )

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RUPDsHVgjI[/youtube]

I had read somewhere that the light weight batteries many not be good for a production Boss with all of the electronics. That came from someone at Ford Racing. Anyone know more?

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I used an Optima spiral cell battery which is an absorbed glass mat type so no fumes or acid leaks mounted in a Taylor aluminum battery box. Overall no weight savings as the cable run and box made up for the 7 lbs battery weight savings but the distribution of 45 off the front moved to the right rear helped traction and handling. You can look at Braille batteries which are very light weight but for a street car I don't know if the reliability is there.
Steve

For what it's worth, I have used Odyssey batteries (model PC680) on two different cars with no damage to the electronics...both of these were Hondas. Also, these batteries worked flawlessly here in frigid Minnesota. The only downside is that these batteries can lose their charge after 2 or more weeks without driving the car...but they can be easily recharged with a trickle charger. I will be getting one for my Boss.

TMO Supporting Vendors