The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Weight save for Cortex coilover setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know that the main reason to purchase the Cortex coilovers is suspension control not weight savings but these seem pretty light and i was wondering if anyone knows how much will be saved front and rear vs. the factory setup?

I have the JRi and although the shafts look huge on the front i bet they are still lighter weight. The rears should be a lot lighter.

Thanks!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I should have weighed them before I put mine in. But carrying the old suspension in box was way heavier then the cortex.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Mad Hatter said:
I should have weighed them before I put mine in. But carrying the old suspension in box was way heavier then the cortex.

Ha ha. Yeah, I didn't weigh mine either and was hoping somebody else did. ::) I'm guessing about 10 lbs. per front corner and about 5 lb. per rear. Wasn't doing the change for the weight savings but really noticed the difference when swapping the fronts.

Should have weighed the rear sway bars too. :(

Grant 302 said:
Ha ha. Yeah, I didn't weigh mine either and was hoping somebody else did. ::) I'm guessing about 10 lbs. per front corner and about 5 lb. per rear. Wasn't doing the change for the weight savings but really noticed the difference when swapping the fronts.

Don't let Cloud9 see this or his wallet will be getting lighter too. ::)

Grant 302 said:

Bar only FEA weight for 25mm Boss 302 is 17.1lbs. 18mm bar is 8.87lbs for a delta save of 8.23lbs.

that does not include the bushings or brackets of course. also the new 25mm bars have longer hooks on the ends, the older 18mm type do not that's another 0.25lbs save. so we are talking 8.5 lbs less weight in back with the 18mm bar.

i'll weigh my coilovers when I swap them however the Steeda sport coils and eibach shocks and struts I have now are most likely lighter than the factory setup already.

NFSBOSS said:
You weight your CorteX parts and I'll weigh my take off parts when I get my car back on Monday. Mine have MM camber plates attached with P springs so it will be a realistic comparison.

Great idea, I'll weigh mine tonight.

I also have a secret project to replace the coils with something 40% lighter but its not built yet :) Hopefully i can send those pics out by spring.

NFSBOSS said:
You weight your CorteX parts and I'll weigh my take off parts when I get my car back on Monday. Mine have MM camber plates attached with P springs so it will be a realistic comparison.

Using a 50lb fish scale assume +/- 1.5lbs
Front DA Cortex JRi weight with top plate: 18lbs
Rear SA Cortex JRi coilover weight: 6.75lbs

Both have the small rebound springs and the main spring.

Front is steel, rear body is Aluminum.

Grant 302

twistedneck said:
Using a 50lb fish scale assume +/- 1.5lbs
Front DA Cortex JRi weight with top plate: 18lbs
Rear SA Cortex JRi coilover weight: 6.75lbs

Both have the small rebound springs and the main spring.

Front is steel, rear body is Aluminum.
Thanks for the weights!

The fronts have an 'insert' like this in a steel body:
Strut-Insert.jpg

FWIW, my box from Cortex was listed at 56 lbs. So I think your weights gotta be pretty close. I'll try to get the individual weights from my Boss stuff tonight or tomorrow.

Grant 302

I got the front LS strut with a P spring and MM plates, but no nuts at 24.3 to 24.5 lbs.

I got the rear spring and shock at 11.1 to 11.3 lbs.

That's about 6.3 to 6.5 lbs. diff on the front and 4.35 to 4.55 lbs. diff on the rear corners excluding the rear hardware and some of the MM plate parts. Deducting a couple of lbs. for the misc. excluded hardware, I'm guessing the savings is about 20 lbs. total...which is mostly unsprung weight. Not bad IMO, especially since I wasn't doing this for the weight savings. 8)

Grant 302 said:
I got the front LS strut with a P spring and MM plates, but no nuts at 24.3 to 24.5 lbs.

That's about 6.3 to 6.5 lbs. diff on the front and 4.35 to 4.55 lbs. diff on the rear corners excluding the rear hardware and some of the MM plate parts. Deducting a couple of lbs. for the misc. excluded hardware, I'm guessing the savings is about 20 lbs. total...which is mostly unsprung weight. Not bad IMO, especially since I wasn't doing this for the weight savings. 8)
Don't let Cloud9 see this. Frankly I'm shocked he hadn't already zeroed in on this. :p

Grant 302 said:

I weighed my Ford Racing 18000C/Tokico/Multimatic front struts and rear dampers with Ford Racing P springs using the official BMO digital bathroom scale I got:

Front Strut and spring with Maximum Motorsports camber plates and all camber bolts but no spindle bolt: 25.4 lbs

Rear Damper with spring and both large rubber pieces along with the top nut and mounting pieces: 11.7 lbs

If there was any doubt I confirmed CorteX is using MM camber plates with their own custom and mondo cool looking top piece.

IMG_5088_zpsd8eca6ad.jpg

Grant 302

Well, I like the delta from yours better! 23-24 lbs. savings sounds great!

If I take the struts apart, I'll have to check the difference between the P and stock Boss and Brembo springs...

Grant 302 said:
Well, I like the delta from yours better! 23-24 lbs. savings sounds great!

If I take the struts apart, I'll have to check the difference between the P and stock Boss and Brembo springs...

Agreed, 7-8 lbs x 2 = up to 16lb save on the front of the car, half of that is un-sprung! They look like suspension jewelry too bad you can't hardly see them.

TMO Supporting Vendors