The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Weld RTS S71 in lots of sizes!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've been doing some research lately to find a set of wheels that take advantage of the Cortex offset front struts. I've amassed enough info now on Weld RTS S71 wheels that I felt like it would be good to share, regardless of what suspension you have. I haven't seen the wider 18s on many/any Mustangs except on a Titan Motorsports car years ago. They look okay in the photo, but I think the hub cap looks ugly and ruins the look of the wheel. They're also running higher offsets than necessary. These are 18x9.5 and 18x10s.

4040__x_weld-mustang-005.jpg

The wheels start out as 3 separate pieces (inner/outer hoops and a center) that are welded together. They offer 3 wheel center options with varying levels of brake clearance, but we would all need the "high" pad for the front wheels. The picture above shows the medium pad wheel, which works with the Stoptech caliper--I don't know if factory Brembos will work with the medium pad, but they do work with the high pad (which, imo, is a nicer, more shapely looking wheel center). Here is a fitment guide

Then, I ran across an 18x10 et41 (a great offset for square fitment and different from the 18x10 on the grey mustang above) without the centercap and I did a double take. It looks pretty good! Now here's some good news. Beefcake racing sells this wheel in a skinny 18x5 for 2013-14 GT500s and it clears the big 6 piston caliper over the 15" rotor with. Some say it needs a 1/8-1/4" aka 3-7mm spacer, which is a little vague but not a big deal. The wheel centers are the same no matter what the width is. Below is an 18x10 et41 over the 370mm CTS-V/Camaro ZL1 brakes, which uses the same caliper as the 2013+ GT500, only it's mounted on a smaller rotor. No spacers needed on these setups.

d1387426923-18-inch-weld-rt-s-installed-teased-126.jpg

weld-18x10-inch-rt-s-wheels-on-a-camaro.jpg

I think this is a good option for those who want to fork out money for a forged, light weight wheel. You can find these Weld S71s for ~$2000 shipped in 18x10s if you hunt around, which is a great price considering what you're getting.

I can't find info on 18x10 weight, but 18x12s weigh 22 lbs. We can infer that 18x11s and 10s are lighter. I'll be putting in an order in over the next few days.

NFSBOSS said:
Weld had a lot of new wheels at SEMA last year and some looked pretty good. If you're looking to take advantage of your new CorteX setup and want nice wheels look at CCW's as they'll make anything you want and they're very reasonable relative to Forgeline and the like.

While both of those companies make awesome products (CCW C14s and Forgeline GA1R/GA3, all drool-worthy), they're at a price point nearly $1000-$3000 more than what you can get Welds for... unless you can talk down the price over the phone. The Welds probably aren't as refined, but they do settle into a price point far below fully forged wheels, and they're not that far off from the flow formed selection.

Consider this: they make the S71 in an 18x10.5 et47. At $425 a piece for the Cortex offset Enkei PF01s, it's nice to have the option of going with a forged wheel for less than $100 more.

FYI: there's a $100 off (per wheel!) rebate on all 18 or 20" sizes. This in conjunction with pricing from JP at Modify My Stang will be akin to the price of Forgestars.

http://weldracing.com/press/summerofsavings/

Another FYI: the wheels I ordered ended up not fitting on my 380mm stoptechs, and they most likely won't fit over 380mm/15" brembos. 14" brembos fit with good clearance on the high pad wheel centers.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel