The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

We'll Miss The Ford GT Race Car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oh but what an awesome run it had!

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I think Ford deserves a crap load of credit for building a state of the art sports car, they really raised the bar with the technology they used. Problem is that had a huge price tag and made it way beyond the reach of the average person. Their race car was probably closer to their street car than anyone's, the Ferrari would be the only other one that close IMHO. Ford didn't need to resort to massively radical changes to their car to be competitive. But we've got lots of people, even on this forum, who just can't seem to give them any credit at all for this car, which baffles me. But whatever.

I think Ford deserves a crap load of credit for building a state of the art sports car, they really raised the bar with the technology they used. Their race car was probably closer to their street car than anyone's, the Ferrari would be the only other one that close IMHO. Ford didn't need to resort to massively radical changes to their car to be competitive. But we've got lots of people, even on this forum, who just can't seem to give them any credit at all for this car, which baffles me. But whatever.

+1 Not only did they raise the bar with technology, also Aero. In addition to looking spectacular, the GT has a frontal area of 1.5 sqm. The competition is all in the 2.0 sqm ballpark. Ironically, ultimately that may have been a disadvantage with BOP, leading to higher top speeds driving power reductions/ weight increases.

As @JDee points out, only the 488 comes close to street car similarity. Don't let's even start on the P car...

Hey let’s be nice to those P cars. ;)

You really have to give Ford/Multimatic/Ganassi credit. To have a win your first year in a new program is amazing and then to win multiple times and Le Mans to replicate 1966 was unbelievable. I was at the 2016 LS race for the first win and was surprised by the large effort. I talked to Joey Hand and he told me Ford was prepared to do whatever it took to win. Yes they did.

And the Race car carries a lot of extra weight due to BOP.

That's why the MkII is going to be so very quick. Much more power, less weight and significantly more aggressive aero.

I've talked to pro drivers who've driven it. They say it's spectacular, but will likely rarely get driven to it's full potential if driven on tracks with other cars as lap times and closing speeds will be so dramatic.

TMO Supporting Vendors