The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Well the Wheel Tire Headache is Over !!! :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Been going crazy trying to find a setup for the Boss, there is a lot to learn while doing this. I want to thank Gary for all the help, I think I bugged the crap out of him on this.

I really wanted to go with 18's for the track but would have been happy with the 302S setup. One of my goals was to save money by not burning up the factory setup on the car. If I went with the 302S setup it would have cost me more then I wanted to go. Staying with Gary's advice and keeping the car close to what the engineers build for us I decided that the only way to go was with a staggered setup. Finding this is not easy.

I ended up getting a set of black SVE rims with Nitto 555's from latemodelrestoration. The fronts are 18x9 255 45 18 and the rears are 18x10 285 40 18. I really wanted the Nitto NT05's but they did not have them yet, I trailer the Boss so these would have been sweet. However I can use these with little worry as I learn my way around the track and get the 05's later.

Cost came in at just under $1200. I hope I did the right thing here, have another track day coming up so I will see.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/WTK-1007CBB/2005-11-Mustang-Black-Sve-Anniversary-Deep-Dish-Wheel-Tire-K

Hey Scott those look nice. BTW the 302S wheels are staggered, 19x9 and 19x10. Did you get 285 rear tires? The ad states 275.

Sure did, I put the sizes in the post 255/45 and 285/40. Cost about $60 extra then the price listed. I really wanted the 05's but will have to wait. I hope this setup works out for me, the positive side is I really will not worry about burning these up while learning, I would have with the 05's. By the time I replace them I hope I can drive the Boss better and really use the tires to their full potential.

I am not really in love with the looks of the rims, nothing is wrong but they did not stand out as good looking rims. I did not care about that anyway as these are for the track only and I was more concerned with the way the perform.

I'm with you. I'll save the Pirelli's for the street. I'm looking at the Hankook tires for the stock Boss wheels which will be my dedicated track wheels. I'm thinking of the SVT PP wheels in my sig for the street.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+V12+evo+K110&partnum=835YR9K110&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q2/tire_test_nine_affordable_summer_tires_take_on_the_michelin_ps2-comparison_tests

Scott, You did the right thing by sticking with street tires. It's best to learn with street tires, they give you more warning that they are reaching the limit and don't fall away as fast when they do. Don't be in a rush to switch to R compound tires. Like you said in other threads, your not competing. Street tires will last longer, are cheaper, and still a lot of fun. ;D

BossJockey said:
Scott, You did the right thing by sticking with street tires. It's best to learn with street tires, they give you more warning that they are reaching the limit and don't fall away as fast when they do. Don't be in a rush to switch to R compound tires. Like you said in other threads, your not competing. Street tires will last longer, are cheaper, and still a lot of fun. ;D
Thanks for the info. BTW the Hankooks have a 5% lower profile than stock. I'm guessing that might be better for the track as that should make the sidewalls a bit stiffer.

Yes, I have heard that from many experienced people. Unlike drag racing where you get the best you can up-front, we need to learn our limitations first. I would have gone with the Nitto NT05 or equal to start with but they did not have them in stock. I would not have started on the NT01 or equals because of the advice I have read from you and others.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel