The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Well, time to take the engine out again!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I wanted coated bearings and min. is .0011" so I'm still to the tight side of the ledger.

And there's nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't call it tight for these engines. Spec is 0.0010" to 0.0020". For the OP's use, and to survive his next enduro, I would choose to run the tightest cold clearance possible. Aluminum expands a lot even at 200º F. Reportedly about 0.0005" at the mains. Race temps likely push that up to (my estimate) of 0.0007" at 250º F. And I think that's conservative.

----

One more reason why I suggest to cool the oil and use the piston squirters when possible.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Summit came through right away and sent the Clevit bearings ... While Tasca only sent four CR3Z-6211-A bearings in the last shipment and will send me the other four that were left in the warehouse by mistake...... But they came through and will send at their cost. So just to be clear... one box of con bearings is two halveso_O not one....

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Just some updated pics of the engine waiting for its parts......

51936887_10215921942900191_6938625348653285376_n.jpg

51914361_10215921942100171_1828179806231986176_o.jpg

52029365_10215921943340202_3277412272820977664_n.jpg

51819963_10215921943820214_5942394722134786048_o.jpg

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Looks almost sexy doesn't it! I got the oil squirters as well. Murphys law... Years buying from Tasca and never a screwup..... and then, just when you have everything lined up...

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Nice. How do you like that EuroExport valve spring compressor?

Are you reusing the valve spring retainers and lash adjusters?

The retainers and lash adjusters looked fine so we kept them (I had some spares just in case).. The Eurosport tool worked great but it would impossible to use it on the last two cylinders if the engine was in the car.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Eurosport tool worked great but it would impossible to use it on the last two cylinders if the engine was in the car.

Thanks! I will be installing the L&M intake cams with OEM Boss 302 exhaust cams with Boss springs, billet OPGs, etc. with the engine in the car. Do you know if the Freedom Racing spring compressor tool (2x the price) will work on the back cylinders?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
The retainers and lash adjusters looked fine so we kept them (I had some spares just in case).. The Eurosport tool worked great but it would impossible to use it on the last two cylinders if the engine was in the car.

EDIT!!! After checking again, you can use the Eurosport tool on the last two cylinders, its akward and uncomfortable, but it can be done. Thanks Coz for the catch!

Thanks! I will be installing the L&M intake cams with OEM Boss 302 exhaust cams with Boss springs, billet OPGs, etc. with the engine in the car. Do you know if the Freedom Racing spring compressor tool (2x the price) will work on the back cylinders?
I've used the Eurosport tool to assemble heads while out of the car. The opening in the tubular steel piece that contacts the retainer is small. Installing the locks through that small opening is a chore; you can't hold the locks with your fingers. Magnets, grease on your finger tip, etc to hold lock and hopefully it wont fall off. Once one is in, you'll have to rotate it to get the other one in as you don't have access to the opposite side. Off the car, I wouldn't hestitate to use it again. On the car, I'd go with the Freedom tool. I haven't used it, and don't know if there is interference with anything in the engine compartment but it gives much better access to the valve to install the locks.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Since we are sitting around waiting for parts.... Are these pistons all ok with these minor scratchs???

49346168_10215722877163672_4494290543454453760_o.jpg

Last edited:

Grant 302

Doesn't look too bad in the pic. How does that bore look? Is that #7 or #8? Where did the material come from to do that? Broken ring?

EDIT: Must be getting old. I forgot where the failure was. I'd inspect is very closely for embedded particles. But I'd probably re-use it. I think it looked worse in your pics on page 3.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I will check them all out again but that was the one with the broken ring... Was suprised by how many little beads of alloy "flash" came of the block... they just make thier way through to the filter... We took lots of them off all over the block. All the oil passages had little burred edges with bits of metal that would come off with your finger nail.

Grant 302

That's about what I'd expect out of the factory. Sometimes you can find crap like pockets of sand from the casting process. And that's stuff that will quickly kill and engine if it works its way loose and is in the oil galley. Most wouldn't know if there's crap like that in the water jackets. Sad, but normal.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
That's about what I'd expect out of the factory. Sometimes you can find crap like pockets of sand from the casting process. And that's stuff that will quickly kill and engine if it works its way loose and is in the oil galley. Most wouldn't know if there's crap like that in the water jackets. Sad, but normal.

Jeez, whenever I read stuff like this it always seems like a wonder any of these engines survive idling, much less track days. Given the millions of Mustangs on the road that do fine, I don't actually wonder, but it always seems like such a fine line between roaring Pony or useless lump of metal.

TMO Supporting Vendors