The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

well...well...well, not sure how this happened

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
What the hell is that?
Looks like a piece of round bar or part of an axle U Bolt....I wonder if that came from another car or what?

Not sure how it happened, I originally thought it might be photoshopped, but if you look at the wheel, besides handprints, where someone was looking at it, there are rub marks on it where it hit "something".
It almost looks like the car ran up against a barrier, or curb, barely touched it, but picked up some of the garbage that was lying next to it. We had a kart race where a guy got a piece of rebar through his shoulder, so bizarre things have happened at tracks.
I'm guessing, that this is a cast wheel, or a knockoff wheel, and the metal just blew the hole through it. It might be the only case where a cast wheel may (emphasize may) have actually saved the day, limiting the destruction. A forged wheel would have probably deflected the metal back towards the tire, or even the bead, causing the tire to come off the bead and catastrophically deflate, disintegrating and taking out the fender and maybe wrapping itself around the suspension. A carbon wheel would've delaminated immediately, with most likely the same results, possibly even resulting in loss of control.
So..if this is real, it was definitely the best outcome.

If he had better tires he might not have been in the garbage. Those appear to be Ventus V12 Evo tires. From what I have researched, they are great as a cheapo summer tire but they can't even hold up to AutoX use.

I am not fully convinced. I am little suspicious of the lack of visible scratching on the rod given how close the OD of that hole is. I only see an undisturbed coating of rust. BUT the picture is not very high res so that might be hiding details that could be there.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
The bar is going through the cast portion of the rotary forged rim. No real surprise that it popped right thru. I suspect that a forged rim wouldn't have fared much better. It's like saying a paper hole punch would work the same on printer paper just as it would on a manila folder.

My guess for what a CF wheel might do would be to take and mostly deflect the hit and have the rod flopping around only stuck in the tire.

TMO Supporting Vendors