The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

went to the drag strip on sat.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I took the boss to mason dixon dragway in md yesterday. I ran it with MT ET Streets 26x11.5 on 17" 06 premium wheels (my cousin let me borrow them) aired them down to 14psi first run. My first run I didnt get enough heat in the tires and it spun 1st and 2nd ran 12.41@114 60' of 1.8. got back in the pits and checked the air pressure it had gone up to 18psi aired them back down to 13.5. second run it hooked hard this time didnt launch it high enough bogged a little. but it was on its way to a 12.0 pass till I shifted to 5th instead of 3rd......12.71@113. let it cool down very little ran again. good launch 1.7 60' 12.27@112 this was shifting really slowly as I didnt want to mess up again. I really hate that stock shifter. my cousin then ran it 30 mins after I did cut the same numbers. not going to head back again till I have that MGW shifter in there.

Things I could of done to get it to go faster that I didnt do:
ice the engine down
run a fan across the motor and radiator (thinking about buying a aftermarket electric fan install it in the front and wire it to a switch so I can run it in the pits)

Not bad for the first time I ran it. it was really humid and hot. and the track prep wasnt very great my buddies were running slower than they usually do out the hole as well.

If my stupid phone will ever email this video out I will post its 12.22 pass on here.

Ever tried running a mister on the radiator in conjunction with a fan? Lots of the turbo guys run them on IC and it is supposed to help a lot with temps at least on the road course. I never got around to it, but I have seen it done by popping off the line for the wiper squirters and running a new one to a squirter on the bumper. Lots of them just used the regular fluid but some were running alcohol mixes and stuff. Or I guess you could just do it with a bottle since it is in the pits.

Justin

CaliMR said:
Ever tried running a mister on the radiator in conjunction with a fan? Lots of the turbo guys run them on IC and it is supposed to help a lot with temps at least on the road course. I never got around to it, but I have seen it done by popping off the line for the wiper squirters and running a new one to a squirter on the bumper. Lots of them just used the regular fluid but some were running alcohol mixes and stuff. Or I guess you could just do it with a bottle since it is in the pits.
yeah lots of guys use a bug sprayer with ice water. what ever I do to the car I want it to be easily reversed. I am going to try and make a street night as they run from 5-10 when the air is much cooler. I am really leerie about that stock driveshaft taking to many more 6600 rpm hits on slicks. Upgrading to a alum one is in the works.

Justin

BossTXB said:
Great run! Impressive numbers. Once you get a few other things refined, I bet you are easily on your way to 12.0 and high 11's!
yeah with some better air and more cool down I know 11's are in the car. wonder if taking out the air filter is worth an et?

I'll be taking my boss to the dragstrip very soon. Mods will include Steeda adj UCA, BBR billet LCAs, 15x10" Weld RT-S wheels with M/T 3755R's (295/55-15), SLP line lock, Steeda shifter bracket w/black bushing. I'm wanting to use my TracKey and launch control, however, I don't think the maximum RPM setting of 5000 will be high enough to get a good 60ft time. All that remains is to get the M/T tires mounted and balanced, and do the electrical portion of the line lock install, then the boss should be good to go!

Justin

SoFlaBoss said:
I'll be taking my boss to the dragstrip very soon. Mods will include Steeda adj UCA, BBR billet LCAs, 15x10" Weld RT-S wheels with M/T 3755R's (295/55-15), SLP line lock, Steeda shifter bracket w/black bushing. I'm wanting to use my TracKey and launch control, however, I don't think the maximum RPM setting of 5000 will be high enough to get a good 60ft time. All that remains is to get the M/T tires mounted and balanced, and do the electrical portion of the line lock install, then the boss should be good to go!
cant wait to see what the results will be. I am considering the LCA's as well. I have a MGW shifter on order. What is the part number on those welds? I love how they look

I might take mine to Sears Point next week, if the weather clears. GF is into drag racing and has been hounding my *** to take her. Will be on stock tires, stock shifter and no real strip experience so if I can get it into the 12s I'll be very happy. She still won't stop with complaining I didn't get an SRT8 with an auto so she could drag it...

boss2511 said:
SoFlaBoss said:
cant wait to see what the results will be. I am considering the LCA's as well. I have a MGW shifter on order. What is the part number on those welds? I love how they look

The part# on the Weld wheels is 71MB-510A75A. Below are some photos of the work I did last weekend., including checking my new 15x10" Weld wheels for fit after installing the Steeda swaybar relocation brackets, and partial install of the SLP line lock kit. Not pictured is the Steeda shifter bracket that I also installed. FYI, I did some black spray paint the bare metal cuts that you see in swaybar relocation bracket photos, so it looks pretty now. I still need to get my M/Ts mounted and balanced, and finish the electrical part of the line locks.

IMG_6596.jpg

IMG_6588.jpg

IMG_6601.jpg

IMG_6602.jpg

IMG_6603.jpg

IMG_6606.jpg

IMG_6605.jpg

..and these are the tires, which are 27.8" tall.

IMG_6586.jpg

CaliMR said:
I might take mine to Sears Point next week, if the weather clears. GF is into drag racing and has been hounding my *** to take her. Will be on stock tires, stock shifter and no real strip experience so if I can get it into the 12s I'll be very happy. She still won't stop with complaining I didn't get an SRT8 with an auto so she could drag it...

Good luck and have fun racing next week, if you go. Tell your GF about a friend of mine, who is very experienced at dragracing, that took his wife's new Charger SRT8 auto to the track last weekend, and his best 1/4 mile time was 14.2. Compare that to my wife's stock 2011 Mustang V6 auto with the 3.31 rear axle that did a 13.8 @ 102. Below was my timeslip.

PBIR3-11-2011.jpg

Justin

SoFlaBoss said:
boss2511 said:
SoFlaBoss said:

The part# on the Weld wheels is 71MB-510A75A. Below are some photos of the work I did last weekend., including checking my new 15x10" Weld wheels for fit after installing the Steeda swaybar relocation brackets, and partial install of the SLP line lock kit. Not pictured is the Steeda shifter bracket that I also installed. FYI, I did some black spray paint the bare metal cuts that you see in swaybar relocation bracket photos, so it looks pretty now. I still need to get my M/Ts mounted and balanced, and finish the electrical part of the line locks.
Thanks for the info looks pretty :)

SoFlaBoss said:
CaliMR said:

Good luck and have fun racing next week, if you go. Tell your GF about a friend of mine, who is very experienced at dragracing, that took his wife's new Charger SRT8 auto to the track last weekend, and his best 1/4 mile time was 14.2. Compare that to my wife's stock 2011 Mustang V6 auto with the 3.31 rear axle that did a 13.8 @ 102. Below was my timeslip.

PBIR3-11-2011.jpg

That is you on the right? I'd be pretty darn excited if I got near that time but any mods I do will be for road course not drag.

She just likes the way the Charger looks and the Hemi name, and she works for NHRA so she is used to guys blowing smoke about how much better autos are ::)

CaliMR said:
That is you on the right? I'd be pretty darn excited if I got near that time but any mods I do will be for road course not drag.

She just likes the way the Charger looks and the Hemi name, and she works for NHRA so she is used to guys blowing smoke about how much better autos are ::)

No, it was me on the LEFT doing the 13.8 @ 102 with my wife's V6... This was over a year ago and not to be confused with my Boss. The car on the RIGHT was an EVO.

Doh I didn't catch the time was the same as what you quoted for your wife's car.

Not a bad time for a V6, that would be big time numbers for a V8 just a few years ago. That Evo must have been decently modded, I never dragged the one I had but I know they aren't that quick stock. His 60 time is not good so the ET probably would have been better with a decent launch.

TMO Supporting Vendors