The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What ‘R’ you doing steveespo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Steve
How was the first impression of the PP2? I am curious of your thoughts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John
The car is a very capable starting point but there are areas of improvement that I will list and address.
1) Diff cooling. With factory 75W85 fill I was only able to get 17 minutes in a 30 minute session before overheating became critical on the diff. (300 deg F). We bought a big floor fan for day 2 and that really helped bring the temps down between sessions to the point I was able to run 20 minutes. Diff cooler setup from Full Tilt Boogie is on the way. Adds weight and cost but is needed due to low fluid volume. Won't biznitch about Ford because I know it is an issue and knew they weren't including it in the package.

2) Camber plates needed. Turn in was not as sharp with only -.5 camber from factory. I have MM plates from my '16 and they will get me the -2.2 needed. Also will go 1/16" toe out to sharpen things up a bit.

3) Seat and harnesses have to be installed this week! I was bracing and holding myself against 1.3 g loads for two days using oem seats and belts. I also wasn't able to use my HANS which is a no no for a car this fast.

4) Wheels and tires- Wheels are beautiful but still heavy (31 lbs) PSC2 tires are like Hoosiers for grip about 1 second a lap off of Pirelli DH slicks. My Apex 18"x11" fit perfectly with 305 Pirellis and weigh 23 lbs each. 315s will probably work and not poke with -2 deg camber.
5) Transmission- Here is where its weird, the trans is buttery smooth and there are no shifting or lockout problems. What there are is ratio problems. 4th is now 1:1, 5th is .83 OD so is too tall, 3rd is a little short vs. previous MT-82 4th gear (107 mph at redline vs 118) so the gap to 4th is a little wide. 2nd is also a little too short so downshifting while gaining some acceleration back, loses the time because of the shift. I am considering changing the rear gear to either 3.55 to make 2, 3, 4 work better or 4.09 to make 3, 4, 5 work. This is only based on Mid Ohio so until i run The Glen and VIR I won't have a firm plan. This weekend at Lime Rock I will probably just run in 3rd with an upshift to 4th coming onto the main straight.
6) Power- Power this car has, with only 200 miles on it the car was 1-2 mph off of Black Boss' GT350R and 2012-Boss' tuned up CJ equipped Boss on the back straight at 135 mph. This was the only stat I could keep up with them since although I ran a PB 1:43.44 they were running consistent 1:38-1:39 laps. Of course a Wood Brothers Ford wouldn't be a WBF if it wasn't handling good down the straights so resonator is already in the trash replaced by Ford Performance x pipe and other tweaks are in the not too distant future.
7) Handling/Suspension- Now I know how Nick is so fast and smooth in his 350R. Magnaride takes all the bumps and curbs and just smooths the line out for you. Spring rates seem stiff enough and roll is controlled extremely well. Car lets you feel what the tires are doing. Right now I can feel the car on the left front, we have to figure a way to get that feel on the right rear. Some camber to make the fronts work more effectively should help. Possible a DSC tuner to shock tune the balance could be helpful.
8) Aero/Looks- I am biased but I think the car looks fantastic from all angles. The nose with splitter is very aggressive, profile is just about the perfect Mustang shape, R wing and quad tips out back just scream race car, and either wheel package looks great with factory slightly better so looks get a 9 from me. Aero wise the dropped nose, splitter and R wing all are effective on track, the full undertray up front also has to help with DF and drag. Ford has a lot of little details under the car to direct airflow.
9) Brakes- 15" PP brake setup is just about perfect. Pete In CT finally got me to use Pagid pads and they flat stop the car anytime you want, over and over again. This with only the factory air vanes and tunnels on the undertray for cooling. I will be adding plates and ducts for added cooling and durability. Also using Girodisc rotors, very happy with them so far. The Pagids have very strong initial bite, very sensitive, which then moderates to a nicely controllable feel with lots of feedback. Pedal position sucks for heel/toe, Sullivan gas pedal (medium width) would help me, I also am a disciple of Auto Blip so hope to get that installed and not worry about it anymore, with the jumpy pagids and difficult pedal position I had some awkward downshifts during the event.

All in all I am glad to finally have the new car, it has already started stock at a level of development equal to my 2011 and 2016 cars which were more heavily prepped.
Steve

Nice write-up Steve.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Engine temps were around 245 CHT and 230 ECT max, it was 87 degrees and humid out. Oil temp was still in green but close to yellow. Whatever that means, a proper AutoMeter will be installed to check Oil Temp. Oil Pressure was steady throughout at 65-75 even through corners. GT350 pump/pan are doing the job well.
I will be getting a GT4 style vented hood as soon as available for 2018- cars.

Nice information. Having not experienced a MPSC2 I was slightly shocked with your comment about it being just a second off a DH slick, that's impressive! The GT350 pump and pan, I take it those are 2018 upgrades on all Mustangs and not modifications you've made to your PP2?

Gear ratios are about perfect for Mid Ohio on my 15 GT PP. If you and the gang you go with schedule another Mid Ohio day, let me know. I'd absolutely join you fellas since I'm so close.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Yes the composite GT350 style pan and pump are standard for all 2018 5.0/5.2 engines. Like Rick said, PSC2 tires are very grippy for 8-10 cycles then become just grippy for the last 12 or so. DH slicks are very consistent after initial 2 cycles (super quick), drop off a little then they hold lap time until worn out.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Best lap at Lime Rock Saturday on PSC2s and first session surprisingly, this lap is actually real sloppy and the car is much better than its rusty nervous driver. Had some pro coaching from a good friend, who helped me shake a lot of cobwebs out and get back to using the capabilities of the car.

DFW, TX
What about plans for a transmission cooler? I heard a rumor the new trans has aluminum shift forks (I'm assuming with some sort or tougher material that actually makes contact with the slider.

Coming from pre-historic Mustang vintage racing (four speeds) I was always used to changing rear gears for different tracks. I guess guys running big aero, huge tires, and six speeds just don't find the need to shift as much.

I didn't realize GT350 pan was used on all the new Mustangs or is it just PP1/2 cars?

The car looks good!

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Thanks guys, I am just not driving the 9/10ths which I guess is good, also camber need is huge, the PSC2s look like only the outer 225mm of 305 is actually touching the pavement, also a touch of toe out may help sharpen the steering during turn in.

Not worrying too much about transmission cooler, there is plenty of fluid in the MT82 case and I rarely saw over 250 degrees in my 2011 car. I did build a cooler setup for that car but added weight isn’t really worth it for short sprint driving. I will keep the fluid fresh. It was good to see that the oil life monitor actually pays attention to how the car is used, with 524 miles (385 on track) on the car I have 55% oil life remaining. This will be dumped as soon as the Motul 300V arrives along with trans (BG), rear axle (cooler and Millers) and brake fluids (SRF). Road America doesn’t suffer fools lightly so have to sharpen up the prep and driving.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Engine temps were around 245 CHT and 230 ECT max, it was 87 degrees and humid out. Oil temp was still in green but close to yellow. Whatever that means, a proper AutoMeter will be installed to check Oil Temp. Oil Pressure was steady throughout at 65-75 even through corners. GT350 pump/pan are doing the job well.
I will be getting a GT4 style vented hood as soon as available for 2018- cars.

I was thinking the same thing for a hood. Lifting the hood after a session verified to me that there needs to be a lot more ventilation under there. Never had to use gloves to open a hood before.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Fitted up my 350R wing from MAD Industries on to my carbon/carbon Anderson Composites trunklid today. Looks beautiful. Shame that the deck lid is going to be painted/wrapped on the outside but having the wing in carbon is enough for me. Weight savings is huge.0ae874cc791af2459faf8d5c52acd274.jpgc1ce3e5f024bcb874f3800e6d0b203db.jpgee2d7a5ef4d4603d00c0d81ed47c77cc.jpg

Looking forward to doing this when I get back!

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Next update from Road America July 5-8. Have added Roush CAI (eh?), BMR CB005 Cradle locks, BMR Rear toe links, Maximum Motorsports Camber Plates and Full Tilt Boogie Differential cooler set. The Full Tilt Boogie brake duct backing plates do NOT clear the GT350 style front hubs/knuckle so need to find alternate solution for that. Planning on adding the Spherical bearing front LCA that Tim at OP Mustang makes, don't know if they will arrive in time.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel