The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What are S197 hoods made from?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Alum? Not sure about that Believe they were fiberglass, Mustangs have been using that for hoods & trunk's since 2001

I'll bet you a hole in your hood that it's aluminum.

I know SN95 all had them (fiberglass) by the 'New Edge' style '99. And that was both hood and trunklid. Not 100% sure about the '94+, but I suspect they are too, since '99 was a styling refresh on the same frame.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I think it may depend on what year S197 you are talking about. My Boss is aluminum but I believe the 05-09 were steel. Pretty sure I used a magnet to catch the litter when I installed hood pins on my 2008 GT. Get out your magnets people.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I don’t know about ‘05-‘09, but that seems unlikely to me that those would be steel.

I do know that some aftermarket reproduction parts from Dorman are steel for the ‘10+ hood. Way cheaper than the OEM aluminum ones which are over $1k.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
05-09 are definitely aluminum (except super snake and KR).
I have a boss hood at the shop I will check tomorrow. Stay tuned.

TMO Supporting Vendors