The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What are the cons of a GT500 wheel setup?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Im looking into some real GT500PP wheels for the BOSS so (19in up front and 20in in the rear) could my fellow Boss owners point out the pros and cons of running this setup and possibly save me the pain of making a mistake? My car is about to go under the knife with a turbo setup(low boost) and i don't really plan to track her alot maybe a few times later down the road but its mainly straight line stuff like highway pulls. I'm open to recommendations :)

I don't like having mixed 19 and 20" wheels but that's just me. 20" wheels weigh more, a lot more.

If you're going to spend some good money on wheels you want a 10-11" wide rear wheel. 9.5" just doesn't cut it IMO.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
They're heavy is the main one. Not wide enough for serious power is the other.

Turbo(s) will be a big jump in torque, even at low boost. I suggest getting the widest rims and the best rubber you can justify for the street and your use.

I feel ya NFSBOSS I had forgotten that they were 20x9.5. Im really like the look of the F14's those are my second choice the hard part is trying to decide between 18's or 19's I have more wheel options and better performance and more with the 18 but i feel it looks too small. I love the look of the 19 and how it fills the fender but thats about it ???

Might want to look at 19x11s for the back and run 325/30/19 Toyo R888s if you are going boosted and want traction. Only a fraction of an inch shorter overall diameter than stock tires.

Sounds good NFSBOSS, thanks for your imput :)
Champale said:
Might want to look at 19x11s for the back and run 325/30/19 Toyo R888s if you are going boosted and want traction. Only a fraction of an inch shorter overall diameter than stock tires.
There are no rubbing issues running a 325? or do you need spacers?

There are a number of guys on various Mustang forums running various 325/30/19s with little or no mods. Here is one example:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?970220-13-Boss-on-325s&highlight=325+rear+tire

TMO Supporting Vendors