The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What are the ratio's on a m82 in a boss?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

Page 34 in the boss supplemental guide under "Maintenance & Specifications" -> Drivetrain

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOCMUS/~MUS~LEN/42/12musbs1e.pdf

You don't really need to log in, you just aren't allowed to directly link to the manuals. You go to the front page, then click owner guides on the left side, then pick the car. Just FYI, if anyone needs to look anything else up.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com

I believe you do need a subscription to view the workshop manuals and other premium products, but the owner manuals and supplements are free.

I'm sure glad we have an extra gear on those pesky GT500's at the track. They've got two worthless overdrive gears. It allows us to spend more time under the area of the curve that counts!

MGCurry said:
I read that 5th is 1:1 but can't seem to find the ratios published

M

The 1:1 5th gear is one of my favorite things about the car. It keeps the motor in the power band in all 5 gears. Every other car I've driven has always been a compromise between one of the shifts. IMO Two overdrives are useless as well. In 4th gear you have close to a 4:88 gear ratio. That's why it still pulls so hard. I love my Boss!

Fat Boss said:
I'm sure glad we have an extra gear on those pesky GT500's at the track. They've got two worthless overdrive gears. It allows us to spend more time under the area of the curve that counts!
I agree. The ratios are very well matched to the engine for track work.

Sesshomurai

All the race transmissions like the T56 and magnum XL have the 1:1 gearing in 4th. I'm no expert why, but my guess follows.

You will make your maximum HP in 1:1 gearing. On most tracks, it's hard to find a straight long enough to get the boss into 5th and even if you do, its not for long.
VIR is one exception and its a long course. Perhaps with 1:1 in fourth, you're getting up to max HP speed in shorter distance...I think.

Gonna find out when I get my T56.

darreng505 said:
All the race transmissions like the T56 and magnum XL have the 1:1 gearing in 4th. I'm no expert why, but my guess follows.

You will make your maximum HP in 1:1 gearing. On most tracks, it's hard to find a straight long enough to get the boss into 5th and even if you do, its not for long.
VIR is one exception and its a long course. Perhaps with 1:1 in fourth, you're getting up to max HP speed in shorter distance...I think.

Gonna find out when I get my T56.
BIR and RA are two more exceptions where you spend a lot of time in 5th. My two favorite tracks nearby. Of course I also used 5th in my GT500 with a 0.80 ratio, but with 600 rwhp it still pulled hard in the long straights ;)

I really like the MT82 gear ratio spacing. Very well matched to the motor. 1st gear is so low, though, it's nearly extraneous for anything but the drag strip. Driving around town I always start out in 2nd.

I've only auto-x'd my Boss so far, but I was impressed how I could just leave it in second through the entire course... so much torque on tap throughout the entire rev range, and a 7.5K RPM redline, there was no need to shift. Really helped keep the car settled and one less thing to think about. Mine was the only car that day, far as I could tell, that didn't have to shift while on the course.

You can be in 5th for a very long time at Daytona...Maybe even 6th if you have some power...I had it wound out at 161.7

My only complaint is that the gap between 2 and 3 seems a bit bigger than the others, almost as if they shortened 2nd a tad to maximize 60 times but then didn't want to offset all the other gears to even it back out. This is not an issue on the track so much, but just playing around in the hills it means I have to shift a lot to keep it on the power, and on long sweepers I have to lug it a little in 3rd or I will have to shift while still keeled over. It might just be the particular roads and speeds here though.

CaliMR said:
You don't really need to log in, you just aren't allowed to directly link to the manuals. You go to the front page, then click owner guides on the left side, then pick the car. Just FYI, if anyone needs to look anything else up.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com

I believe you do need a subscription to view the workshop manuals and other premium products, but the owner manuals and supplements are free.
Very cool site. Thanks for posting.

TMO Supporting Vendors