The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What are you track junkies using for seats?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tried a search and did not find much.

We recently acquired a 13 LS in SBY for Track Days.

Trying to science out the Belt mounts / Bar/ Cage and a Track day purpose Seat. Found lot's of good stuff on Bars/Cages.

Searching also showed that a removable steering wheel was a challenge with all the electronics in the hub. Has anyone figured this part out yet?.

Thinking for the Seat I will need.

Seat - Sparco , Cobra, Corbeau, Recaro, etc. (Looked at the EVO2 US, for 36 in waist guys and the belt holes seam low, The Evo 2 are ok, but a tad tight)
Slider
Mustang specific mount
Side Mount brackets
Belt Clip options - Found some that should work on the Cooltech site. Assuming the Mustang Seat mount has an ear for the OEM receptacle to mount.

1. Any problems with not having the Air Bag connected , like in the OEM Recaro?.
2. Is there a resistor or something that keeps the light from staying on. Or just don;t worry about it.
3. Do you know if the other air bags remain functional, even though the light is on.
4. I typically like a seat with higher thigh support than an EVO, but wondering if I can get in and out with the steering wheel in the way, does not move up all that much.

Thanks , Guys

Sparco Evo with slider and side mounts. I use Schroth end fittings bent at a 90 degree angle attached to rear seat bolts for the lap belts, and hardened eye bolts with through the floor for the sub belts.

20120219160822708.jpg

20120219160413644.jpg

20120219112425480.jpg

ArizonaGT said:
Gonna be this in a couple months...

http://www.momousa.com/racing/seats/daytona-evo.html

Drew - Nice choice on the seat! With this seat, or any of the others for that matter, how do you mount these to match the Boss bolt/hole pattern?

LS110 said:
Drew - Nice choice on the seat! With this seat, or any of the others for that matter, how do you mount these to match the Boss bolt/hole pattern?

More than likely a custom made bracket. I had to have a fabricator make one for my seat. There are some adapter brackets out there but its real hit or miss (mostly miss). My guy told me those adapter brackets are often "the weak link" and should be approached with some caution.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
DGRacing said:
More than likely a custom made bracket. I had to have a fabricator make one for my seat. There are some adapter brackets out there but its real hit or miss (mostly miss). My guy told me those adapter brackets are often "the weak link" and should be approached with some caution.

Correct--I'm going to have my cage guy fab up some adapter brackets that will mount to a Sparco slider system which then bolts to the seat.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
j3st3r said:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j58/bsowde/Parts/For%20Sale/Corbeau002.jpg[/ig]
[img width=900 height=672]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j58/bsowde/Parts/For%20Sale/Corbeau003.jpg[/ig]
[img width=900 height=672]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j58/bsowde/Parts/For%20Sale/Corbeau001.jpg[/ig]
[img width=900 height=672]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j58/bsowde/Mustang/2013/Track/Memphis011.jpg[/ig]
[img width=900 height=672]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j58/bsowde/Mustang/2013/Track/Memphis013.jpg[/ig]
[/quote]

Throw that seat in the garbage. We had one of those in another Mustang and the tilt hinge broke during a race. I was lucky enough to only have to drive half a lap to make it to the pit entrance and get the car stopped, but I had to hold myself up against the harnesses with the steering wheel the entire time since the back had fallen away. This is apparently a common problem with Corbeau tilt-back seats.

ArizonaGT said:
Throw that seat in the garbage. We had one of those in another Mustang and the tilt hinge broke during a race. I was lucky enough to only have to drive half a lap to make it to the pit entrance and get the car stopped, but I had to hold myself up against the harnesses with the steering wheel the entire time since the back had fallen away. This is apparently a common problem with Corbeau tilt-back seats.

How did you make it through tech with a tilt back seat? They're usually not permitted by race organization rules. Just curious.

j3st3r

Brian S.
Tennessee
ArizonaGT said:

I have ran this seat for 5 years in 2 different cars and have had zero issues....maybe you just gangsta lean it to far....LOL..just kidding. thanks for heads up on the tilt issue

DGRacing said:
How did you make it through tech with a tilt back seat? They're usually not permitted by race organization rules. Just curious.
When running the NASA events, I borrow my friends EVO's, for some reason I can spend thousands of dollars on other parts, but cant bring myself to spend the 2K for the seats....someday I guess

SparcoEvo002_zps7eaca62a.png

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
DGRacing said:

FIA cert for seats was not required until 2009 where we ran.
At any rate, I would definitely not recommend that particular seat, or (for now obvious reasons) use of any aftermarket tilt-seat with a harness setup.

j3st3r

Brian S.
Tennessee
ArizonaGT said:
FIA cert for seats was not required until 2009 where we ran.
At any rate, I would definitely not recommend that particular seat, or (for now obvious reasons) use of any aftermarket tilt-seat with a harness setup.

Arent the factory Boss Recaros...tilt back?
2013-Mustang-Boss-302-Font-Seat.gif

TMO Supporting Vendors