The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What coilovers are everyone using on SN95's specifically?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
This is more of a poll/light discussion on what everyone is using for a true coilover. It seems the Maximum Motorsport/Bilstein setup is probably most common on competitive cars I've seen. I'm personally using the MM/Koni SA setup with pretty good results. I've been wanting to switch over to MCS coilovers from Vorshlag for a couple years now but I'm not ready to swallow the price tag yet. Brett won CAM-T at Nationals on Cortex. I've also seen Viking and Strange used in autocross/road race setups.

So, whatcha got?

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Louisiana
I’m actually using the MMCO-1 kit and MM RA3 struts (2nd generation) that came off Brett’s car when he upgraded to the JRi’s! We are very proud to have the HANO logo on Modzilla and can’t wait for its return to competition.

If you know Brett, tell him HANO by FANO!
He’ll know who sent you!

8DA8B285-B6DF-41A8-973C-433E537BEF72.jpeg

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
I was running some mm coils, but recently ish changed to a griggs setup

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Would agree with the MCS suggestion, though you might get by with single or double adjustable -- they are pricey, but state of the art! When I was selling Vipers we were actually taking off the KW shocks off the ACR-X race cars and substituting them with an MCS suspension and finding even more benefits. Plenty of good choices, though, but your funds will come into play in determining your final choice.

I ran dual adjustable MCS shocks on my Boss 302S and was super pleased. My fabricator who was a Penske devotee was blown away by them, dyno'd them was even more impressed.

I ran Maximum Motorsports on Koni SAs years ago on my 2001 Bullitt. That car is gone but we have another new edge in the drive way still with Koni SAs but using traditional springs. I was very happy with the MM/Koni setup.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I ran Maximum Motorsports on Koni SAs years ago on my 2001 Bullitt. That car is gone but we have another new edge in the drive way still with Koni SAs but using traditional springs. I was very happy with the MM/Koni setup.
This is what I've been running for the last few years. I'd like to upgrade to the next tier with some more adjustability and more spring rate than the Koni's can handle.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Miami FL
This is what I've been running for the last few years. I'd like to upgrade to the next tier with some more adjustability and more spring rate than the Koni's can handle.
I'm starting to built a " SN95 track day car" and suspension is next on my list I was looking at the MM coil over kit but not sure what lbs should I get, 300lbs? 325lbs? also which Koni's are you running? Thank you very much!

Last edited:

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I'm starting to built a " SN95 track day car" and suspension is next on my list I was looking at the MM coil over kit but not sure what lbs should I get, 300lbs? 325lbs? also which Koni's are you running? Thank you very much!
You're best bet would be to consult with Maximum Motorsports on your spring rates. It's going to depend on several factors including what your car weighs, what tires, and what suspension type(Stock 4 link vs IRS vs Torque Arm) If you are buying from MM anyway they will steer you in the right direction. Your dampers also need to be matched to your spring rates.
Reference these guides.

I have Koni Single Adjustables all around. I bought a set of Double Adjustables for the front several months ago but haven't had the opportunity to put them on.

Make a build thread with more info about your car so we will have an easier time helping you out.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Miami FL
You're best bet would be to consult with Maximum Motorsports on your spring rates. It's going to depend on several factors including what your car weighs, what tires, and what suspension type(Stock 4 link vs IRS vs Torque Arm) If you are buying from MM anyway they will steer you in the right direction. Your dampers also need to be matched to your spring rates.
Reference these guides.

I have Koni Single Adjustables all around. I bought a set of Double Adjustables for the front several months ago but haven't had the opportunity to put them on.

Make a build thread with more info about your car so we will have an easier time helping you out.
I'll give them a call! I have no idea how much the car weighs but I'll find out. I have a track day mid January and want the car to be ready.
I'll start a build thread, I will be a sloooow thread but I'll take some pics this weekend and get it started.
I appreciate you pointing me into the right direction.

TMO Supporting Vendors