The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was in the Machining Business since I was Young.I started learning N.C. stuff when it was just starting to come out.I was programing my own machine in the beginning,One mistake and you know about it quick!!! which was an adventure in itself. I know working on cars is a whole different venue and I admire you for your love of that,Fabman.............Carry on and I know you're not done with fast cars,just yet....;)

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I was in the Machining Business since I was Young.I started learning N.C. stuff when it was just starting to come out.I was programing my own machine in the beginning,One mistake and you know about it quick!!! which was an adventure in itself. I know working on cars is a whole different venue and I admire you for your love of that,Fabman.............Carry on and I know you're not done with fast cars,just yet....;)
I was working in a machine shop when tape mills first came out. Remember those with the big ticker tape rolling through the machine? I never programmed one but I ran them long enough to discover that I liked fabrication a lot better than Machining and that it also paid a lot better-especially if you could fabricate, and machine and also design. Hence the name of my shop. Specialty Fabrication and Design.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
That was early 70's stuff...Things have come a long way since then!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, we have a small CNC here. Its getting to the point that guys who can still do manual machine work are hard to find. Guys call themselves machinists when they are really just parts changers.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
A good machinist/ Tool maker is very hard to find these days because everything is automated these days and true wisdom and mechanics is not taught or instilled anymore. I hate to brag but I think I'm one of the last of a dying breed....I hope I'm wrong!!!
You and I are the last generation of real craftsmen.....

EDIT: ....I think.

One last note on this subject of craftsmanship...I live in Bridgeport , Ct...Home for many years of the Bridgeport Milling Machine.They sold out and moved on a few years back...but in the day , if you could operate and master that Bridgeport, especially when they went to CNC, you were GOLDEN.................anywhere............................

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
One last note on this subject of craftsmanship...I live in Bridgeport , Ct...Home for many years of the Bridgeport Milling Machine.They sold out and moved on a few years back...but in the day , if you could operate and master that Bridgeport, especially when they went to CNC, you were GOLDEN.................anywhere............................
Yup. Ah, the good old days....

Bay Area
One last, last thing....If anyone is interested in my 20" Kennedy machinist toolbox full of goodies, I'm considering offers...local pickup only, I'm not shipping anything this heavy....hint,,hint....PM me for details if interested................

Hint hint, thats not cool or fair, put it on your local CL. Thats like me saying hey want to buy my Lista cabinet full of tools. But I'm not shipping. C'MON, MAN!!!

Sorry I offended you..I just threw that out there if anyone was interested....I guess it's my bad.....hint, hint was my way of saying there's more than I care to say here and now............It wasn't a "come on"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Maybe the pawn shop is the way to go.........

Last edited:
Bay Area
Sorry I offended you..I just threw that out there if anyone was interested....I guess it's my bad.....hint, hint was my way of saying there's more than I care to say here and now............It wasn't a "come on"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Maybe the pawn shop is the way to go.........

Didn’t offend me at all. Although, I’d like to see what’s in an “old timey” Kennedy box. I used to be an airframes mech so I know it’s good. But lets get back on topic. What did you do to your Boss today.

drano38

Wayne
Boss sat in the garage as the first snow of the season arrived. :(
Grass is white, but it will melt in a couple days. West part of SD got quite a bit of the white stuff.

TMO Supporting Vendors