The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Thanks a lot. I'll look into it.

Trickle was king around here forever. Madison Speedway used to have Trickle bounty nights. They'd make him start last and pay extra to everyone who beat him. They did not have to pay often. Plus he was a super nice guy. I talked to him many times.

Sucks about Elko. My kid and I are racing at Jefferson Speedway (east of Madison) and there are several MN cars towing all the way there just to race.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Thanks a lot. I'll look into it.

Trickle was king around here forever. Madison Speedway used to have Trickle bounty nights. They'd make him start last and pay extra to everyone who beat him. They did not have to pay often. Plus he was a super nice guy. I talked to him many times.

Sucks about Elko. My kid and I are racing at Jefferson Speedway (east of Madison) and there are several MN cars towing all the way there just to race.
My favorite races to go to were at the Minnesota State Fair, when I was a teenager they ran sprint cars Friday, Saturday and Sunday, then ran Late models Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Monday was usually a 300 lap race. Eventually it all went away and it wasn't long before I quit going too. I would like to get over to one of the Wisconsin tracks to see some late model racing, any recommendations?
Back to autocross, we also run at Canterbury Downs, its the horse racing track out by Shakopee, MN, its usually a challenging course as the parking lot is huge and allows some decent speed between elements. They also run at BIR, never been there so I don't know if its run on part of the road course or if it is run in one of the parking areas.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
I would like to get over to one of the Wisconsin tracks to see some late model racing, any recommendations?
Any place that the TUNDRA series goes is a good show. https://tundrasuperlates.com/ They are a traveling super late series. But they have a limited schedule this year.
These tracks all run asphalt late models weekly.
Lacrosse is closest to you. Its a 5/8 Nascar sanctioned track.
Marshfield is a fast 1/2 mile
Madison is a tight 1/2 mile, but its currently closed
Slinger (near Milwaukee) is a historic super high banked 1/4 mile
Jefferson (between Milwaukee and Madison) 1/4 mile mid bank. Their late model field is strong and competitive. I had to put in a plug for our current track. Here's a pic of my kid and his Sentra with "Alan the Alien". It may seem goofy but every night kids come by our pit after the races to see Alan and get a pic with him. After all this is a show and they are paying fans.
heat win 2020.jpg

Last edited:

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Any place that the TUNDRA series goes is a good show. https://tundrasuperlates.com/ They are a traveling super late series. But they have a limited schedule this year.
These tracks all run asphalt late models weekly.
Lacrosse is closest to you. Its a 5/8 Nascar sanctioned track.
Marshfield is a fast 1/2 mile
Madison is a tight 1/2 mile, but its currently closed
Slinger (near Milwaukee) is a historic super high banked 1/4 mile
Jefferson (between Milwaukee and Madison) 1/4 mile mid bank. Their late model field is strong and competitive. I had to put in a plug for our current track. Here's a pic of my kid and his Sentra with "Alan the Alien". It may seem goofy but every night kids come by our pit after the races to see Alan and get a pic with him. After all this is a show and they are paying fans.
View attachment 56621
Looks good! I'll have to see if I can get out to one of the tracks this year. Thanks for the advice.

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Had a great day at Mospost yesterday with perfect weather. I was the only Mustang in group "A" and had to suffer the wrath of many very quick and highly modded Vipers, Porsche's, Mercedes , BMW's ,Vette's and a Mclaren ! My stock Boss is no match to those beasts.... but I knew that going in.
The Boss ran great and I kept it off the wall and there are lots of walls !! HaHa !

mosport2.jpg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Good to see a fast Canuck still calls the track Mosport , as Canadian Tire Motorsports Park just does not roll off the tongue as well , ha. Thanks for upholding the honor of TMO there this past weekend.

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Good to see a fast Canuck still calls the track Mosport , as Canadian Tire Motorsports Park just does not roll off the tongue as well , ha. Thanks for upholding the honor of TMO there this past weekend.

Haha, yes it will always be Mosport to me. Started going there to watch races back in the 60's ....so much personal history with that place. It's a very fast and wide track with many elevations and there are a hundred ways to pick lines and everyone seems to do it differently which makes it very challenging.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Haha, yes it will always be Mosport to me. Started going there to watch races back in the 60's ....so much personal history with that place. It's a very fast and wide track with many elevations and there are a hundred ways to pick lines and everyone seems to do it differently which makes it very challenging.

Yeah, always will be Mosport to me too! Bummer to miss that day, while you were doing that I was picking up my car with Exedy clutch and baffled oil pan freshly installed. Now I have a 700 mile break-in to do.....Next day is Aug. 21 at Mosport, lots of time to make that.

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Yeah, always will be Mosport to me too! Bummer to miss that day, while you were doing that I was picking up my car with Exedy clutch and baffled oil pan freshly installed. Now I have a 700 mile break-in to do.....Next day is Aug. 21 at Mosport, lots of time to make that.

Yes we missed you too ! Hopefully next time.
Hmmmm , 700 mile break-in in your track beast sounds painful. lots of day to day drives I guess to get it done. Ouch, my a** hurts just thinking about it !! HeHe :D

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Yes we missed you too ! Hopefully next time.
Hmmmm , 700 mile break-in in your track beast sounds painful. lots of day to day drives I guess to get it done. Ouch, my a** hurts just thinking about it !! HeHe :D

You got that right! Those new Corbeau race seats sure hold you nicely on the track but on the road you quickly find out that the padding is mighty thin!

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Another autocross today. Beautiful weather for a change, low 70's, overcast and a nice strong breeze. Ran within 4 seconds of the fast guys, that was great. One off road excursion with no damage down. Everybody made it thru the day, no wrecks, just wish the back end would quit insisting on leading. Now its time to clean up some cone marks, rotate tires and bleed some brakes. Maybe even get the aluminum driveshaft installed be fore the next run. Hope you had a great day too!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
racer47 --- you need to get down here to the Mustang Roundup , if for nothing else than for me to regale you with some fun stories involving me , Paul Brown and Dick Trickle's ex-Craftsman truck. Fun to hear about Trickle Bounty Nights and it had to be even more fun when some of those big boys saw Dick get out of his machine--- he was the true meaning of small but mighty!!

Utah
Came back from a track event last week to a leaky radiator core. So off comes the aero and out comes the radiator, which leads to proactively changing the 120K mile water pump while the fluid is out of it, and fix the leaky front seal while there is plenty of room. If I keep working on it I will proactively be replacing things back to the first U joint! (Just walk away...)

IMG_5427.jpeg

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Ran another autocross on Saturday, one of the few things from the old days(pre-Covid) I can still do. Probably on the Most Wanted list after murdering many cones today. I guess the charge would actually be hit and run combined with intentional homicide. I did save the best for last, fastest time and only clean run of the day. Hung with the S550's, my buddy who just started doing this two years ago is starting to catch up to me. His current car is a 2019 GT350, he is 70 so he's got me by a couple of years. All in all the gang had a great day, minimal broken pieces. Our leader (our arch nemesis) was not in the field today. Seems he got his 170 mph top speed at Road America but a little too much boost from Mr Wipple lifted a head at that point.Boss1-8-22-2020.jpg r

TMO Supporting Vendors