The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Long time no post guys ! The Racer was back on the ground today for the first time in a year. A new Magnum T56 XL 2.66 first gear installed. Stripped the wiring loom and rewired it using a 3 in 1 T-56 Magnum harness I order from Modern Drivelines. Cut out the skip shift plug, rewrapped it in heat tape, new loom covering and black tape. It looks like factory. The old was was a little burnt. Lockout and Speed-o works as if it was stock. The other thing I did was install a new Strut/Shock package. JRZ RS PRO. 600lbs front 300lbs rear same rates as I was running before. Can't wait to start using them. OK, so why the trans swap. Last year at Sonoma, clutch pressure plate broke a bolt. It would still shift at low speeds so I spent the day in forth. Was funny though, even with running in forth, I was passing others left n' right, made for cool time.
Got the beast home, up in the air and ripped it all apart. That's when I found the busted clutch, a missing bolt head, gouges where the bolt head spun around inside the bellhousing before it found it's way to the starter hump, blew a inch and a half hole out the top and jammed it's self there. I did what any body would do bought a new McLeod RST Twin Disc Clutch , The T56 and all the goodies that came with the kit. I waited for it to get cool enough to work. So I waited until two weeks ago, then I busted my Bum and today was the day I got it all done. Backed it out of the shop, drove to the gate of my house and drove it back into the shop. Set ride height and closed up for the night. Tomorrow, bath time so I can get rid of a years dust and dirt.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Long time no post guys ! The Racer was back on the ground today for the first time in a year. A new Magnum T56 XL 2.66 first gear installed. Stripped the wiring loom and rewired it using a 3 in 1 T-56 Magnum harness I order from Modern Drivelines. Cut out the skip shift plug, rewrapped it in heat tape, new loom covering and black tape. It looks like factory. The old was was a little burnt. Lockout and Speed-o works as if it was stock. The other thing I did was install a new Strut/Shock package. JRZ RS PRO. 600lbs front 300lbs rear same rates as I was running before. Can't wait to start using them. OK, so why the trans swap. Last year at Sonoma, clutch pressure plate broke a bolt. It would still shift at low speeds so I spent the day in forth. Was funny though, even with running in forth, I was passing others left n' right, made for cool time.
Got the beast home, up in the air and ripped it all apart. That's when I found the busted clutch, a missing bolt head, gouges where the bolt head spun around inside the bellhousing before it found it's way to the starter hump, blew a inch and a half hole out the top and jammed it's self there. I did what any body would do bought a new McLeod RST Twin Disc Clutch , The T56 and all the goodies that came with the kit. I waited for it to get cool enough to work. So I waited until two weeks ago, then I busted my Bum and today was the day I got it all done. Backed it out of the shop, drove to the gate of my house and drove it back into the shop. Set ride height and closed up for the night. Tomorrow, bath time so I can get rid of a years dust and dirt.
Skipshift plug?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Thankfully TracKey disables the SkipShift feature & yes it was designed to save fuel.

However, early in my Boss ownership & prior to the install of TracKey, I learn to flick my wrist upwards & go into 3rd gear. It’s a much nicer transition going from 1st to 3rd. IMO.

First time on track with the APEX SM-10 square setup. Swapped out the Ford Racing Shifter/Blowfish bracket for an MGW.
Both of those mods made huge improvements. Also changed to a billet grille with steel mesh safety-wired in (got the idea from you guys) and FRPP cooling fan.
Now I can swap back and forth between the billet and GT/CS grilles.
I don't have guages setup yet but my "how-sweaty-it-gets meter" from inside the car seems like the coolant temps are down a bit.

Auto Club Speedway Interior shakedown before Streets of Willow later in November.
Found out I need to replace the axle seals, so I guess next weekend will be a rear end refresh.

closefront.jpgfastclose.jpg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Wow , Trackopolis , them is some big ass meats on there and I personally approve of your negative camber -- and that is a positive comment!!

Silver Laguna, great pics and looks like it was a great day for you to take a cruise!!

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
She been away for too long. The shop I had her at, whilst they've been investigating the heat issue, has been shuttered for too long with a COVID outbreak and now they won't be opening anytyme soon due to being classified as non-essential by the local government. I'm making arraignments to pick her up and bring her home. Better I try to tinker with her than to be sitting all alone in a dark, damp and cold empty shop being ignored.

Last edited:
Utah
I am not much for glamor shots… But I just got done detailing the car with clay bar and a good wax job, scrubbing off the tire clag (sp) marks and putting my new APEX stickers on (thanks to Cory at Apex Race Parts, except the APEX 18x11 wheels are on the tire rack in the garage, sorry man it is winter!). Looking good for next season!

This started because I found out the answer to the question “How far away do my cars need to be for me to spray paint the front iron railing on my house with white enamel?” Well the answer is “at least 1.45 miles away”. So I got to clay bar the wife’s FJ Cruiser (which was black and looked really bad), my white stang which didn't look bad, but was really bad, and my new to me 2019 F-150, which is also black, but didn’t get it too bad. That was a fun experiment!

IMG_5662 Super Clean.jpeg

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I am not much for glamor shots… But I just got done detailing the car with clay bar and a good wax job, scrubbing off the tire clag (sp) marks and putting my new APEX stickers on (thanks to Cory at Apex Race Parts, except the APEX 18x11 wheels are on the tire rack in the garage, sorry man it is winter!). Looking good for next season!

This started because I found out the answer to the question “How far away do my cars need to be for me to spray paint the front iron railing on my house with white enamel?” Well the answer is “at least 1.45 miles away”. So I got to clay bar the wife’s FJ Cruiser (which was black and looked really bad), my white stang which didn't look bad, but was really bad, and my new to me 2019 F-150, which is also black, but didn’t get it too bad. That was a fun experiment!

View attachment 59991
Reminds me of the time I stained my deck using an airless sprayer, There was more stain on stuff that wasn't the deck. I purchased the gun about 9:00 am, returned it by noon. The stain supplier recommended the gun and I was dumb enough to buy it.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I got the Boss back home after the shop she'd been sitting at stopped working on her, first from a COVID shutdown and then later, a state mandated shutdown. They never found the problem with the gremlins and now I'm back to square one. I hope to finish our annual big Christmas Light display over the long Thanksgiving weekend and I'll start trying to tackle the overheating issue once again. Thinking I may buy a whole new wiring harness and try it out.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
RodS197,
Frankly I think you did great at the glamour shot, after all, the only thing you really need in the picture is a stellar looking white Mustang anyway, ha. The car looks great and I am envious , because if you are in Utah, Miller has to be your home track? Sorry, Utah Motorsports Campus just sounds too academic for me. I have two sets of Apex rims ( have owned 4 over the years ) and you will love running out near Toelle with a set of 315s on your beast. Especially a set of Toyo RRs , because you can run them with a weight loss and hp gain in NASA.

I got rid of the stupid Russell braided brake lines and installed Boss 302 ones. One of the Russell lines failed after less than 3 years. Never using braided lines again! Pedal feels really good. Full fluid flush as well and new pads. Old ones were only 50% worn but I decided to save on labor and had it all done at once.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Mine's been sleeping since the end of October. Coming out in January long enough to get the trans pulled and rebuilt with the Syncrotech carbon kit with bronze shift pads. Found a guy up here in London that does drag race trans rebuilds, mostly Tremec but he does the MT82/Syncrotech kit regularly. Lucky to find him, border isn't going to open for a long time I think. Also trying to source enough stuff to build a trans cooler, it would be nice if someone made a trans cooler kit for the MT82 but it doesn't seem to exist.
Hope to head off any driveline issues like what pretty much wasted last season for me. Only 6 track days, what a bummer!

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Mine's been sleeping since the end of October. Coming out in January long enough to get the trans pulled and rebuilt with the Syncrotech carbon kit with bronze shift pads. Found a guy up here in London that does drag race trans rebuilds, mostly Tremec but he does the MT82/Syncrotech kit regularly. Lucky to find him, border isn't going to open for a long time I think. Also trying to source enough stuff to build a trans cooler, it would be nice if someone made a trans cooler kit for the MT82 but it doesn't seem to exist.
Hope to head off any driveline issues like what pretty much wasted last season for me. Only 6 track days, what a bummer!

I'm thinking you have lots of room for a trans cooler with all the A/C removed !! 🙂

TMO Supporting Vendors