The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
SET50-948-7612
16 x 14-3/4 x 2 in
48 row

It's mounted with a bracket I bought here on this forum. And now to figure-out the feng shui of hose routing.
Might want to make a bracket for the bottom too, you don't want to pull the top mount off the cooler.

Yep, I'll do a lower bracket in the same way as shown in the DIY thread - attaching to the splitter mounting tabs/boxes/points on the tubular bumper. Meanwhile, the project has ground to a halt, because just when I thought I had everything sorted, my oil temp sensor is too long for the new oil filter adapter thingy. Now Hulk wants to smash. So, are there shorter sensors that fit? Are there better adapters? Do I just need to get my oil temp from somewhere else?bonk.jpg

Okay, I just needed to have myself a little tantrum. Yes, it looks like they make 1/8" NPT straight extensions that should do the trick. Should have an update later in the week. Thanks!

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I just ran across this same problem with my trans cooler, and I'm still having a little tantrum about it! I relate this strictly in the interest of having other people avoid this issue.
It was a Derale oil temp gauge and sender, and they make an -8AN fitting with a 1/8" pipe thread for the sender. Problem is it bottoms out in the -8AN fitting long before it gets anywhere near binding threads, and even if it didn't bottom out the thing blocks the oil flow by at least 75%. I asked Derale specifically about this issue before I bought their junk and they assured me it would fit and it would not block flow, which was absolute bullhist. So I ended up making a dog's breakfast of fittings to get it at least near the oil flow. Not sure how useful it will be but better than nothing. I will not trust Derale for anything after this. Most telling was after I reported this to Derale I got crickets back. Not a good sign.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Hi, I'm new here. I drooled over a set of Boss 302 shocks I'm going to be getting from a coworker. pretty excited.
Enjoy the shocks. Welcome to TMO! Complete your vehicle profile (build sheet) so we can see details about your car.

I usually visit your area each year to attend the Thunder over Michigan airshow at Willow Run airport. A good number of P-51 Mustangs are usually in attendance. Including Roush's own "Old Crow."

Getting a burger at Culver's is an added bonus.

I know, I know... it's not exactly 007's revolving license plates, but it should:
  • Maybe keep the state troopers from hassling me
  • Maybe keep the kids from trying to drag race me every at every light, when I'm just trying to get to Luby's for my senior meal
  • Maybe keep someone from nicking my $50 tow ring
This was more of a fun "why not?" mod. Sharp eyes will detect that it still needs some development. The license plate frame has plenty of room to "store" the tow ring, but it thins-out on top, so I will need to do some spacers and/or other trim to make it really work properly. Anyway, this was part of a whole front-end project that included DIY oil cooler, lightweight tubular bumper, splitter, and tow ring that I have been working on in my spare time for almost two weeks.

20210509_115026_2.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
Oh man....I feel your pain. I don't well on my back cramed under a car at this stage in my life. I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Carver, Under a car , on your back is NEVER a good deal, no matter what stage of life you're in........I know.....................
Remember when "backstage" was a good thing? ;)
If I didn't have an 8ft ceiling in my garage...

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
The sweet? smell of unbagging Hoosiers after a long winter.
hoosier.jpg

And they did their job even though the driver was a bit rusty and sloppy. But in the end it was enough to beat 18 others in the first race of 2021. Plus I finally received my 2020 Champ trophy beating out 43 other cars that competed last year.
2021.jpg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
California
I am in the process of upgrading my CAI, I have a S197 with a Gen 1 Alluminator 5.0 transplant. Before I pull the trigger between JLT and Ford Performance. What are you fellow members using for maximum results squeezing out every horse you can find while leaving the engine alone. Also I am fairly new to the forum so if there are any articles on this subject pointing me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Pulled the Boss out of its winter hibernation Saturday and cleaned it up for the first autocross of the season. Got 5 runs in on Sunday. Not to sure of the results. Beat a couple of Vettes but lost by tick to a Mercury Marauder? I think I may need new tires. Tried running with rear sway bar disconnected didn't seem much different than with the bar hooked up. I did smack a few cones and got to see some friends who I hadn't seen in about 18 months. Cheers!

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Ran another autocross Sunday. Killed a few cones. Waiting for results as we had to push things along to get our 6 runs in between rain showers. I won my class :), because no one showed up 🙄. Could use some more rear grip or something as my Boss likes to swing its tail out. We see numbers tomorrow but it looks like I was about 5 seconds off the fastest time. Fast course, fast enough that I could have used faster rear gear. Two spots on the rev limiter, one was brief but the other required 3rd gear or too much time lost and not a fan of bouncing on the rev limiter.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Another autocross Today. Some more dead cones. Nice day, rain stayed away. Fairly competitive but live timing was down all day so no results to see who won what. Interesting group today, couple of Vipers, two FAST Honda CRX's, and the not fast, diesel VW Beetle, Ford Festiva, also the usual gaggle of Miata's. Only two of us in CAM C, Mustang turn out has been pretty slim this year.

TMO Supporting Vendors