The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Set up my QuickJack. Jesus, what have I been doing with my life? So much better than jacks.
You just can't beat that.

IMG_1972.jpg

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
You just can't beat that.

View attachment 67414
I haven't even actually "used" it yet other than to test it and this is already the best purchase I've made. Wasn't even hard to set up. The instructions were the best I've seen for just about anything. I can't believe I waited so long.

New recommendations for track newbies:
1. Seat time
2. QuickJack
3. Brake upgrades

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
I haven't even actually "used" it yet other than to test it and this is already the best purchase I've made. Wasn't even hard to set up. The instructions were the best I've seen for just about anything. I can't believe I waited so long.

1. Seat time
2. QuickJack
3. Brake upgrades

Which brake upgrades? I have moved to SSB lines, upgraded fluid, upgraded the pads, but have been dragging feet on larger rotors. $ But I did go to 18 in wheels to give myself options. Look better than the 17s.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport

1. Seat time
2. QuickJack
3. Brake upgrades
I've had mine for 3 years. It is handy. But...

make sure you always open the vent on the tank, if you don't when you lower it the tank will start to leak and possibly rupture, it's just plastic and can't take any pressure. My vent got some stuff in it that I wasn't aware of and that restricted the air flow enough that the tank let go. It would be a lot better with a properly vented steel tank.

Also, I don't know if this is common but my hydraulic hardware has been a PITA, have had to replace several of the quick disconnects, they leak randomly and without apparent reason. I can only conclude it's not high quality stuff. I keep mine on a bed of shop cloths to catch the inevitable drips and runoffs. They were decent with warranty early on, now it's all on my nickel.

For sure better than no lift, but I think I'm about to retire mine, looking at buying a 6,000lb 1 post lift that is on wheels and can be moved in the garage. A lot money, but I think a lot less frustration.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
make sure you always open the vent on the tank, if you don't when you lower it the tank will start to leak and possibly rupture, it's just plastic and can't take any pressure. My vent got some stuff in it that I wasn't aware of and that restricted the air flow enough that the tank let go. It would be a lot better with a properly vented steel tank.
This is interesting. The instructions mine came with showed two different types of vents. One was a breather vent that had to be opened. The other did not require anything to be opened and my vent seems to be the latter. It seemed to vent fine coming down. Maybe an updated design?

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
This is interesting. The instructions mine came with showed two different types of vents. One was a breather vent that had to be opened. The other did not require anything to be opened and my vent seems to be the latter. It seemed to vent fine coming down. Maybe an updated design?
One of the phone guys told me they were doing that newer vent and I asked to be notified when it was ready if it would fit my machine but I never got anything further from them about it. Maybe forgot, or maybe it doesn't fit older reservoirs?

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
One of the phone guys told me they were doing that newer vent and I asked to be notified when it was ready if it would fit my machine but I never got anything further from them about it. Maybe forgot, or maybe it doesn't fit older reservoirs?
Mine looks like this if it helps:

PXL_20210815_231052741.jpg

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Thanks for that. Your reservoir is very different than mine which is rectangular. They must have had a do-over on that part, I'm sure that shape would be less prone to splitting with it being round it likely has fewer stress risers. I'd call them and see if it can be fitted to earlier models but I'm getting a lift of some type later this fall and I'll sell the QJ then. It is a handy device, it's just too bad that so many pieces on mine have failed, it takes away the lustre a bit.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Just saw an ad during LM24 coverage. $250 off 5k & 7k capacity standard-length models now through Aug. 31 with promo code SUMMER.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I performed a shaft-ectomy today. Swapped the stock clunker for a Ford Racing/Dana unit. I can't say with any degree of certainty that it "feels" faster, though I'm sure it helps. Lighter weight is betterer. Got rid of the clunk though! Fairly easy swap if you just pay attention to the instructions.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Ran another autocross today. Six runs, finished first in my class, CAM-C. Only two CAM-C's showed up. Fastest run of the day was also a clean run. Got to use some counter steer and dirt track skills as the Falken's are loosing a bit of grip. Nice day to hang out with the gang and grind some rubber off.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Cooling ducts and and a big brake kit.

Looks like I need to review my brakes sooner than I thought. I haven't had issues with the brakes during autocross, but thats 60 second runs minimizing brakes. Went to Pueblo Motorsports on Friday. After every run, 25 minute sessions, my front brakes were smoking when I came in. I could feel some fade so was definitely mindful on the last couple of laps. I was also seeing a lot of brake dust. I didn't take pics, but should have, it was bad, really makes me question the Hawk HPS 5.0.

This was my first time on a full size track in the car. Its great. I kept thinking that "crap, its still sticking with no sign of slide", that was very cool. But Im still getting used to the speed of what I can/can't carry and the upgraded suspension still surprises me.

Guess now I need to start researching options.

TMO Supporting Vendors