The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Looks like I need to review my brakes sooner than I thought. I haven't had issues with the brakes during autocross, but thats 60 second runs minimizing brakes. Went to Pueblo Motorsports on Friday. After every run, 25 minute sessions, my front brakes were smoking when I came in. I could feel some fade so was definitely mindful on the last couple of laps. I was also seeing a lot of brake dust. I didn't take pics, but should have, it was bad, really makes me question the Hawk HPS 5.0.

This was my first time on a full size track in the car. Its great. I kept thinking that "crap, its still sticking with no sign of slide", that was very cool. But Im still getting used to the speed of what I can/can't carry and the upgraded suspension still surprises me.

Guess now I need to start researching options.

If you like Hawks then try DTC50 front/ DTC 30 rear, I find that combination works very well. 60/30 works well also. HPS are warmed over street pads and not really up to track work.

But, as mentioned, you really need to get deflectors or ducts on the fronts no matter what you run or you're going to eat pads and rotors. Deflectors are a lot less trouble than ducts and work just as well IMHO.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
If you like Hawks then try DTC50 front/ DTC 30 rear, I find that combination works very well. 60/30 works well also. HPS are warmed over street pads and not really up to track work.

But, as mentioned, you really need to get deflectors or ducts on the fronts no matter what you run or you're going to eat pads and rotors. Deflectors are a lot less trouble than ducts and work just as well IMHO.
Vorshlag states they still require tubing or tunnels to direct the air onto the deflectors and there aren't many readily available ducts for the 05-09 fascias like there are for 10-14 S197s, and no undertrays with tunnels that I'm aware of. Custom-built is always an (expensive) option. It's better than having to route a hose the entire way, but the deflectors by themselves won't provide the cooling needed. Standing by for corrections, as I'm needing to do brake cooling as well, I just have the less-than-ideal JLT kit sitting in the garage.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
This was my first time on a full size track in the car. Its great. I kept thinking that "crap, its still sticking with no sign of slide", that was very cool. But Im still getting used to the speed of what I can/can't carry and the upgraded suspension still surprises me.
I understand this feeling. When I finally got better tires I went way hot into a 180 degree turn at Lime Rock Park. I thought for sure I was going to go off track there, but I dug in. The car just stuck. In the video you can hear me yelling "HOLY $%^&" when I exited the turn. I think I needed new underwear. After that, the laps just kept getting faster.

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Vorshlag states they still require tubing or tunnels to direct the air onto the deflectors and there aren't many readily available ducts for the 05-09 fascias like there are for 10-14 S197s, and no undertrays with tunnels that I'm aware of. Custom-built is always an (expensive) option. It's better than having to route a hose the entire way, but the deflectors by themselves won't provide the cooling needed. Standing by for corrections, as I'm needing to do brake cooling as well, I just have the less-than-ideal JLT kit sitting in the garage.

On my Boss I removed the driving lights, cut out the inner fenders and fabricated some plastic deflectors that are very effective.

No ducting pipes required IMHO.front straight mosport.jpg You would have to hole saw your Fascia for inlets.

bossducts.jpgbossvent3.jpgbossvent.jpg

Last edited:

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
On my Boss I removed the driving lights, cut out the inner fenders and fabricated some plastic deflectors that are very effective.

No ducting pipes required IMHO.View attachment 67925 You would have to hole saw your Fascia for inlets.

View attachment 67920View attachment 67921View attachment 67922
05-09 body styles like @funksouljon 's and mine don't have that space for driving lights like the 10-14 body styles, they just have the lower grille. We could definitely cut holes in the bumper cover itself, it's just not as clean.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
05-09 body styles like @funksouljon 's and mine don't have that space for driving lights like the 10-14 body styles, they just have the lower grille. We could definitely cut holes in the bumper cover itself, it's just not as clean.
Easy deal.

Two ways I've done these.
One has the least impact to the stock look and is easier to install.

20622118_160352554537528_5095405668880045705_n.jpgIMG_1466.JPG

The second requires a little more race inspired prep to complete, but is also more effective.

20293999_10155549057728535_8243247385608607163_n.jpg20525230_160355994537184_5052745203553992819_n.jpg
21752140_176206712952112_890988618085903549_n.jpg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Easy deal.

Two ways I've done these.
One has the least impact to the stock look and is easier to install.

View attachment 67926View attachment 67927

The second requires a little more race inspired prep to complete, but is also more effective.

View attachment 67928View attachment 67929
View attachment 67930

Not terribly worried about the look, more interested in the functionality. Do you have any images of the other end? Where do the tubes dump? I see above, using both the cooling ducts + deflectors is the best way to go? Are this bought or built? or modified?
plus the Vorshlag deflectors? I like the Vorshlag backing plate, but don't seem to make them for the GT.
And possibly step up in pads. I am not biased for them, they were just what I got when I was doing new owner maintenance.

I also noticed just how long the shift was when I needed it fast. It was more apparently during the track day than when street driving. I also struggled to get it down into 2nd a number of times.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Not terribly worried about the look, more interested in the functionality. Do you have any images of the other end? Where do the tubes dump? I see above, using both the cooling ducts + deflectors is the best way to go? Are this bought or built? or modified?
plus the Vorshlag deflectors? I like the Vorshlag backing plate, but don't seem to make them for the GT.
And possibly step up in pads. I am not biased for them, they were just what I got when I was doing new owner maintenance.

I also noticed just how long the shift was when I needed it fast. It was more apparently during the track day than when street driving. I also struggled to get it down into 2nd a number of times.
I'll PM you the details.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Chicane23, distributor to all for the Tiger Hoods, sent me one for my BossS a few years back and I am a firm believer it is the main reason my Boss runs so cool. Ran two sessions on Sunday at the Central Region NASA Event after getting the car back from a fuel cell install and even though I ran the two 20 minute sessions back to back with only a quick circle in the paddock to get back in line to proceed on course, she never exceeded 196 degrees ( and that was circling around in the paddock). On track my water temp varied from 193 to 195 , the hood really helps with both downforce and cooling , imho.

Utah
!SOLD! Finished street prepping the 2006 3V FR500S clone. A/C reinstall, carpet, stereo. Brought back old memories of the sweet street ride before it became a track monster! Buyer picked up the car today. I have had the 2014 for about three months. I need to get a build thread going. Great stories to tell about the new car!

I will have full FR500S Aero available soon and will get it on the classified section on TMO first!

IMG_6381.jpeg

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Another day at the track running down those pesky cones. Ran with the Corvette club. These guys usually have a faster course set up, hitting the rev limiter twice on each run in second gear. Not there long enough to justify shift up to third and then back done into second. I'm thinking a taller rear gear would be the way to go, 3.55 or 3.31. That rabbit hole is rather deep, I would probably build a complete diff assembly rather than swapping gear sets. Waiting for results to be posted to see how I did compared to the others. Only a few more dates left on the calendar and in Minnesota there's no guarantee that the weather will cooperate.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Ran another autocross event on Saturday. Snagged first place in my class on the last run of the day. Slow tight corners are killing me, constantly pushing it too far in before braking. Tires are getting used up. A little drifting, counter steering and the tires are breaking free petty easily. Back at it on Sunday and then the next Sunday, weather permitting, finishes it for the year.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Southern Illinois
Let's just say I learned to check my brake fluid more often.20211002_095026.jpg
Mechanic buddy kept telling me "oh, you don't need to change the brake fluid. It a sealed system your fine." It took 2L's of fluid to get this horrid mess out of all 4 corners. While I was at it, threw on a new wheel to see how it looked.

20211003_111648.jpg

20211003_111611.jpg

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Ran another autocross event on Sunday. Had four Cam-C cars today. Handled the slow tight corners better today. Still drifting, counter steering and loose today. Only clipped one cone today but cost me my fastest lap. Still waiting on published results to see where I finished, 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th?

TMO Supporting Vendors