The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Team Fight CANCER had a great past weekend. Had Cancer Survivors sign our race car. We also did a charity bike ride and the Team raised over $14,000 for Cancer Research. Pretty awesome weekend.View attachment 76623
Love to see this! That mountain looks fake in that photo lol

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Was starting to look for the next set of tires, just to see current prices/options. Look like a lot of options are on back order through my normal locations. But, stumbled onto a guy selling a set of 20s with new Goodyear Supercar 3R for a smoking price. So I made a road trip last weekend for a set up to see how they work. Don't like, I can sell for what I paid.

IMG_2974.jpg

GB899

NO REGRETS
Nebraska
yesterday parked the Boss on the street while getting garage doors & operators replaced... long overdue.. neighbor had her yard sprayed (weed or feed I don't know)... guess what was covered with the blow by.. UGH... so after a very long & expensive day, I had to wash up the car... not fun.. but she looks great (again)... and I can now see my garage live on my phone.. lol..

Garage Door 67 Camera-2022-07-13-07-53-42.png.png

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
It wasn't today, but I just got back from the Bullitt Nationals with my '08. They were in Nashville this year. Unfortunately for us, it rained during both the car show and when we were scheduled to be drag racing. We ended up buying a Hot Wheels track with a mechanical Christmas tree and a pack of 20 Hot Wheels and proceeded to have indoor drag races. Fun times. I still like the Bullitt, even if it's significantly slower and not as refined as the '18. It was still a comfortable 11 hour cruise in spite of forgetting to back the front struts off the full hard setting.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Got in three autocross runs today, keeping up pretty good with the fast S550's and then had to park it and call in the tow truck. I think I broke an axle. Got it home with a great wrecker driver. Time to rearrange the garage and get it up in the air. I'm guessing I snapped the C clip knob of the end of the axle shaft. Will see if my powers of deduction are still accurate,

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Columbia, TN
I removed the rat fur from the underside of the hood, firewall, and strut towers. Then I realized the stock hood vents are a 2pc design so I removed the lower part that has the honeycomb restrictor... not sure I'm explaining that clearly, essentially I uncorked the stock hood vents that hardly flow so now they hardly flow better!

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Got the Boss up in the air today to see what I broke on Sunday. One of the pivot points on the bell crank of the Watts linkage broke its welds and that's it. Order a new part tomorrow and get some maintenance work done before part arrives. 5 years of lots of hard left/right keeping the back end in place wasn't too bad. Maybe a little redesign this winter to better support the pivot posts will be in the cards. Its so tight up in there that the arm couldn't fall down. I wasn't sure what was wrong so it got a ride home on the back of a wrecker.

Bellcrank1.jpgBellcrank2.jpgBellcrank3.jpg

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
IIRC, that happened to the Grassroots Motorsports guys on their CAM Mustang. May have been the center pivot bolt, and I'm not sure what brand Watts they had. Is there a way to convert the current "propellor" so the arm rod-ends are mounted in double shear instead of single shear? BMR sells a billet double-shear propellor as an upgrade to their steel one, not sure if it would fit your bolt sizes.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
IIRC, that happened to the Grassroots Motorsports guys on their CAM Mustang
They used the Cortex Watts link. But I don't think their bolt sheared. I believe something came loose and their solution was to use Nord-Lock washers.

By the way, Cortex modified their pivot arm in 2017 to lighten it up. Not sure if anything else has changed since. The 2017 revision looks like this:
Revised Pivot Arm CorteX Watts Link.jpg

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
This is a Whiteline piece. I have an design idea to convert this to a double shear set up but that's not happening until the race season is over. New parts coming from California.

TMO Supporting Vendors