The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your GT350 or S550 Mustang today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFW, TX
My screeching accessory drive noise finally got bad enough that I thought the dealer would diagnose it.

Of course a year ago I asked then to loosen the serpentine belt and spin the idler pulley to see if one of the bearings was going bad.... But noooo, they couldn't find a problem and I doubt they did what I asked them to do...

I took it in today, it screeched about 10 minutes in to the drive instead of the usual 15-20 minutes, but of course idling on the service drive waiting for a service writer, it decided not to make noise when they got to me.

But low and behold they re-created the problem. And the diagnosis: an idler pulley bearing was going bad!

Looking forward to having both a silent shifter (fixed that myself) and a quiet accessory drive for the first time ever.

Hmm, they passed the car on to another tech (one that knows more than replacing parts) as the pulley and new belt didn't fix the problem. They are looking at the engine. Ruh-roh... I don't want to think about it.

Bummer. Hopefully your replacement goes quicker than the two months it took for me. :eek:

DFW, TX
No idea what went wrong, it must be some timing chain/valve timing related. Sounded like they would have a long block on Monday. Maybe this one will burn less oil. I went by the dealer but the service writer was at lunch. I would like to talk to the mechanic at some point.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
“My Ford dealer hates me”.
I’d ask you to either leave or take the car out of my shop. Unless, of course, you are willing to pay the hourly rate for a conversation.
Ford pays less for warranty work than the shop charges for flat rate. Delaying the technician only adds to the dilution of revenues. Ever wonder why technicians and dealerships ask you to wait in a separate room or to leave the car. They just want to get the job done and move onto the next car. Talk to the service manager, the service writer or the shop manager. They make an hourly rate and are there to talk to you. The technician is there to “talk to” your car.
Sorry if I come across a bit harsh. It if you think costing the tecjphnician money will motivate them to work on your car.......
On the other hand, a short conversation between the person who witnessed the issue with the car, you, and the guy fixing the car, the tech, can be fruitful. Just try to remember, there is a point where you are no longer assisting the repair process. I have to remind my self of this when I take a vehicle to a dealer.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
“My Ford dealer hates me”.
I’d ask you to either leave or take the car out of my shop. Unless, of course, you are willing to pay the hourly rate for a conversation.
Ford pays less for warranty work than the shop charges for flat rate. Delaying the technician only adds to the dilution of revenues. Ever wonder why technicians and dealerships ask you to wait in a separate room or to leave the car. They just want to get the job done and move onto the next car. Talk to the service manager, the service writer or the shop manager. They make an hourly rate and are there to talk to you. The technician is there to “talk to” your car.
Sorry if I come across a bit harsh. It if you think costing the tecjphnician money will motivate them to work on your car.......
On the other hand, a short conversation between the person who witnessed the issue with the car, you, and the guy fixing the car, the tech, can be fruitful. Just try to remember, there is a point where you are no longer assisting the repair process. I have to remind my self of this when I take a vehicle to a dealer.

As someone who has had more than one repair botched by the so called technicians at Franchise dealerships I disagree with some of what you say. If dealer mechanics actually followed the exact workshop procedures then I would guess 99% of warranty repair would fix the issues. The problem is as you state the book time allowed for payment invites shortcuts by these expert technicians who then report to service managers that repairs are complete who then convince unknowledgeable and vulnerable customers that remaining noises, slips and shudders are "normal". How many 5 quart oil changes in Coyotes have you read about? bpracer had a screeching noise for a year that has now resulted in a longblock replacement, suppose that went out of warranty 2 months ago? Who wants that $15000 cost plus labor? This results in more damage and further service calls to work on the original problem and the aftermath of shoddy repairs. We here are a minority who actually understand how our cars function and how to take them apart and put them back together. So having a serious conversation about what and how a diagnosis or repair is going to take place on our $40-100k cars, that most of us here put our lives on the line with is not out of line. I agree not to waste the technicians time, but the service manager should explain what the approach to diagnosis is and what repairs and replacements are necessary to correct the problem. Itemized estimates of exactly what will be done and the cost should be requested and furnished for any repairs that are at our expense. For warranty work communicating what the symptoms are honestly and clearly and receiving the plan of action back from the SM should be what is expected. The old "park it over there and put the key in the drop basket, we'll call you when its ready" doesn't work for me anymore. Personally I stick to fixing the problems that arise on my cars, because I usually modify so much right off the showroom floor that they deny warranty anyway, but if I have non mod related issues with the car I still will talk with the SM and GM at the shop to get clear understanding of what is going on and to communicate expectations.
Steve

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I'm pitching my tent in Steveespo's camp. I've done about 75% of the work on my Boss myself and the other was done either by my Guru Mustang Mechanic or a closely supervised Ford Dealership technician. I've always believed that what makes a good mechanic is a good listener. Once I feel communication was successful, I get out of their way.

Monaca Pa

The only time I have the dealer look at my car is for warranty only. I do 100% of the work on my car. I know it’s done right when I do it. I have seen the work that so called technicians do. I have been a aircraft mech for the last 32 years and how I see some work on aircraft makes me shake my head. If you told me to leave I would be gone in a heartbeat, and I would never buy a vehicle from your dealership. I don’t need you you need me.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I guess you all missed the part where I said the majority of the conversations should be with the service writer, the shop foreman and or the service manager. These are the guys who get paid to interact with the customers. The technician is paid to work on the vehicle and likely looses money when he stops and talks to the vehicle owner. Not a perfect system, but its the best one out there. Many technicians will take the time to talk to you. Remember, you are taking $30.00 an hour out of his pocket when you do this. Is that the way you want to start your relationship with the guy fixing your car?
Also remember, Ford directs many warranty repairs. If a shop has too many warranty claims, Ford will restrict their ability to repair without approval. If a repair is over $XXX.XX Ford requires the dealer seek approval before repairs.
And no, you likely did not have an oil change messed up by a journeyman mechanic. Ford, Chevy, Toyota, etc. shops cannot pay union rates to a mechanic to change oil and compete with the lube shop down the street. They pay a guy the same rates as the shop down the road so they can compete. Unfortunately this is usually not the Top Guy in the shop. Most shops have a single four post lift dedicated to oil changes. Drive the car on, drop the oil, fill, drive off, repeat.
When I have an issue which I cant figure out I DO lean on a Ford technician. Its worked every time so far. It does help to have family and friends who are excellent Ford technicians.
We ALL have misdiagnosed issues with our cars. I thought I blew a motor when it turned out to be a bad choice for transmission oil. The oil blew out the overflow and soaked the side pipe on the right. As the exhaust pulsed, the smoke was sucked past the exhaust tip. Others have misdiagnosed Steering issues which became very expensive. We break our toys, fix our toys and move on.
We bring our cars to a shop which may have less experience on that specific model then many of us and expect perfection. My local dealer has looked at my Boss and had no idea what to do. They never saw or heard of the CJ Pulse wheel and stated so. No harm, no foul. I called guys I knew had a solution, also Ford technicians and they fixed my issue. I've pulled into the local Ford store near VIR, explained my problem and they had me in and out in less than an hour. I only missed one session. That's great service. Ford service departments vary greatly. YMMV.
You can paint with a broad brush if you want to. I guess I just ain't in the mood.
Off my soap box. Sorry for hijacking the thread. Wont happen again. :(

Monaca Pa
I did most myself. My friend helped when I installed the nut plates. Not much room around rear end. I have 3” Exhaust and that didn’t help to get hand by lol. Having a helper would have been nice.

TMO Supporting Vendors