The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your GT350 or S550 Mustang today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Nothing exciting, but first time I had seen the 350 in a couple months. Hopefully only a few more weeks to go. This picture is after the frame was straightened and before they cut out that remaining rear panel. I hope they’re on to welding on the new panels.

dff385fc87668c8efd7271bcdc8a837c.jpg

e937e4ff0299d723667a8c5877144a10.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the right spacer and extended studs, idk why not. Plenty of s197 and s550's use the same wheels. These are 19x11 +50. I have the 6 piston factory brembis and these fit fine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Well, spent Friday evening and all day yesterday pulling the transmission out of 121 to replace failed clutch release cylinder/bearing that failed 2 weeks ago at Summit Point. With the help of the other 2 Yanks, 2012-Boss and friend Ernie L, we made quick work of the removal and replacement including changing out the clutch dust filled master cylinder reservoir and installing a separate clutch reservoir to keep excess heat and cross contamination from occurring. Also after talking with Black Boss, we used Ford DOT 4 LV fluid for the clutch, and old standby Castrol SRF for the brakes. Apparently Ford engineers are concerned that SRF and other aftermarket DOT4 Race fluids can deteriorate the clutch slave seals. I was skeptical but after this failure of a brand new part after 14 track days, I decided it was wise to pay attention. We finished up with a trans fluid change and oil/filter change. 121 is ready for Watkins Glen in 7 days.

In the V6L
...Apparently Ford engineers are concerned that SRF and other aftermarket DOT4 Race fluids can deteriorate the clutch slave seals...
I had this exact problem on my 2014 GT500 - Castrol SRF React was eating the rubber on some aftermarket parts I had installed causing leaks. I used the original SRF (without the "React" branding) for years and it didn't do this, but the product was reformulated when the branding changed and the new product seems to be more reactive. I'm using DOT4 LV in my GT350 and it's working fine.

I had this exact problem on my 2014 GT500 - Castrol SRF React was eating the rubber on some aftermarket parts I had installed causing leaks. I used the original SRF (without the "React" branding) for years and it didn't do this, but the product was reformulated when the branding changed and the new product seems to be more reactive. I'm using DOT4 LV in my GT350 and it's working fine.
I had multiple slaves fail on both my Boss and GT350R running SRF. Also had a Brake master cylinder fail on the Boss and did a preventative change on the 350R after seeing evidence of rubber particles in the reservoir. May be a coincidence, but no repeat using either Motorcraft DOT4 or 5.1 LV.

I had multiple slaves fail on both my Boss and GT350R running SRF. Also had a Brake master cylinder fail on the Boss and did a preventative change on the 350R after seeing evidence of rubber particles in the reservoir. May be a coincidence, but no repeat using either Motorcraft DOT4 or 5.1 LV.

Interesting. I run SRF. Have for years. No issue. Ford Performance Racing school uses it exclusively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFW, TX
"un-tracked" my GT350, camber back to street settings, changed pads, de-glazed rotors with a rotary hone and a hand drill.

This involved swapping out my Apex track wheels, which I found out about via this.. forum, using a caliper spreader I bought from a forum member, installing pads I bought from a forum member, using caliper studs developed by a forum member, while using race ramps that I got on sale because of a notification I received on this forum.

other than that, I don't get much from this place...
[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

And it’s TMO members like you that make this possible.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Very good sign when the wife or significant other takes pictures of your mistress and does it with a smile. Sounds like you have a couple of beauties ( wife and GT 350 ) to be thankful for during the Christmas of 2019!!

TMO Supporting Vendors