The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your GT350 or S550 Mustang today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This would only qualify as an addition by subtraction. Has anyone been removing (clipping) their 350 accessory drive belt prior to track days? Had a recent drive belt failure at Daytona, which then took out the serpentine, causing a quick overheating situation. Fortunately was able to quickly shut down and get safely off track with no coolant leaking. Also no other damage to a/c lines, etc. No way to know what caused the acc. belt to shred, but understand the 5.2 vibrations may play a part. Confirmed that the a/c compressor was secure so no idea why the belt failed (appr. 14 mos./5k miles).
Dealer has warranty replaced the compressor, accumulator, crank pulley and belt. Service rep suggested I clip the acc. belt prior to next track day as a precaution as may not be so lucky with another belt failure. Of course will then have to go the trouble of replacing again for summer street duty.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Is this the same stretch belt that is on the S197s? If so, perhaps a different brand of belt may help. Continental makes their 4060344S Elite version belt that seems to be a notch above the stock or stock replacement belts.

The 11-14 Mustangs also had the BR3Z-8620-DA kit that replaced the stretch belt with a tensioner and idler pulley. I don't know if that would help. Or if even fits in any S550 let alone a GT350.

1579749643493.png

Is this the same stretch belt that is on the S197s? If so, perhaps a different brand of belt may help. Continental makes their 4060344S Elite version belt that seems to be a notch above the stock or stock replacement belts.

The 11-14 Mustangs also had the BR3Z-8620-DA kit that replaced the stretch belt with a tensioner and idler pulley. I don't know if that would help. Or if even fits in any S550 let alone a GT350.

View attachment 11997
Thanks for the tip - ordered a Conti elite belt.

Bay Area
Installed the AWE remote active exhaust controls and finally buttoned up the verus diffuser so I dont have to to remove the diffuser for LS now. Installed the DCTMS carbon fiber / leather steering wheel. And today I am going to put "NO NAME" I think that might her official name now (HAHA) on the quick jack and give here a good pressure wash and swap over to street tires and brakes. Then next week I will install the 17 and up audio upgrade.

Last edited:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
First track day of the season at a repaved and upgraded Shannonville Motorsport Park. First shakedown on my much lighter S550 and Carver's newly trackified Boss. Also first run with the motor coach towing the car on the trailer went very well, hardly know the trailer is there, that V10 is a stout motor.

Pretty smooth day, other than I managed to kill the Braille battery and we could not get that thing to turn over even with a boost from a running car. Ended up with a good old push the car/dump the clutch to get it running. Recharged the battery from the alternator and all was good.

Managed a new pb of 2.01.079, a gain of about 1.5 seconds, that's with a lot of driver rust apparent. My goal of a sub-2 minute lap is starting to look possible this year.

image4.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors