The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your GT350 or S550 Mustang today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Nice write up , the cars look great, your time is getting really low, Carver looks happy , but..................why aren't you both wearing TMO shirts??

Post up when you get to sub 2 minutes , because it likely will happen if this is your first time out for 2020. We both know at our age , the rust collects daily , not just over the Winter, so I have faith you will get there!

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Nice write up , the cars look great, your time is getting really low, Carver looks happy , but..................why aren't you both wearing TMO shirts??

Post up when you get to sub 2 minutes , because it likely will happen if this is your first time out for 2020. We both know at our age , the rust collects daily , not just over the Winter, so I have faith you will get there!

I had mine on. It's an old school one though. Haven't got around to upgrading yet.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I actually wondered if that was an old Boss (BMO ) T Shirt, but I could not blow up the picture of you two anymore -----so you are the guy on the left, then?

Way to go and glad to see you are spreading the love.

Noticed that the front splitter on my 2020 350R seemed to be drooping down a bit after 700 miles, did some investigating and noticed it is missing many of the clips and screws installed from the underside. Ridiculous. Ordered the new fasteners and will do it myself because I obviously don't trust the dealership to do it correctly. They gave me the car with shipping spacers still installed in the springs, too (which they also did with the 2017 Focus RS I bought from them).

I also pulled apart the console and removed the spring from the MGW shifter. Didn't make as much of a difference in shift action as I would have anticipated but the MGW certainly does feel incredible - and the OE shifter was pretty awesome to start with, except for the reverse lockout not locking out. Ford "quality" is testing my patience!

Noticed that the front splitter on my 2020 350R seemed to be drooping down a bit after 700 miles, did some investigating and noticed it is missing many of the clips and screws installed from the underside. Ridiculous. Ordered the new fasteners and will do it myself because I obviously don't trust the dealership to do it correctly. They gave me the car with shipping spacers still installed in the springs, too (which they also did with the 2017 Focus RS I bought from them).

I also pulled apart the console and removed the spring from the MGW shifter. Didn't make as much of a difference in shift action as I would have anticipated but the MGW certainly does feel incredible - and the OE shifter was pretty awesome to start with, except for the reverse lockout not locking out. Ford "quality" is testing my patience!

hit that splitter HARD with A rubber mallet

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I feel your pain on the front splitter. I have an ole 2012 S197 U code with a ‘12 LS splitter & it takes a few parking lessions to avoid the hits. Well at least in my case. Good luck with your splitter.

Monaca Pa
I feel your pain on the front splitter. I have an ole 2012 S197 U code with a ‘12 LS splitter & it takes a few parking lessions to avoid the hits. Well at least in my case. Good luck with your splitter.

I have my wife get out of the car and tell me when to stop😂 Most of the time I drive by my self and have to get out and see. Need a backup camera up front:eek:

DFW, TX
I am interested in your thoughts on the udgrade. The MGW shifter was a MUST do for the S197/MT82. With the 350, I am on the fence.
I’ve done the cheap rope caulk trick to solve the shifter rattle, but it came back. I can’t say I’ve noticed deficiencies when at the track. The biggest shifting issue I had with the GT350 was the excessive clutch pedal travel beyond what is needed to disengage. I have a janky (if Terry Fair saw it) fix for that. Precise controls and feedback are part of the driving experience, even in these heavy cars. I’m hoping for good things from the shifter.

DFW, TX
The review will have to wait until tomorrow. Too late to crank up beast....

Initial impression, not driving, is very nice, precise, smooth.

I need a lift, I’m too old for crawling under cars on jack stands.

Its tricky removing the front two linkage bolts. Not a lot of room because I couldn’t drop the trans too much due to the front two point brace I have on the front subframe.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I know what you mean. I installed a Rotary two post after upgrading the clutch and Watson roll-bar on the Boss. It’s low enough to slide the arms under the Boss and 350 and large enough to lift my F250 crewcab diesel.

DFW, TX
The review will have to wait until tomorrow. Too late to crank up beast....

Initial impression, not driving, is very nice, precise, smooth.

I need a lift, I’m too old for crawling under cars on jack stands.

Its tricky removing the front two linkage bolts. Not a lot of room because I couldn’t drop the trans too much due to the front two point brace I have on the front subframe.
Overall positive on the shifter. The quality is second to none and I’m wondering how they manage to sell at their price point.

Pros:
No rattling
Very precise, no slop in anything
Feels like shorter throws though nothing to back that up
Includes 1/4 Allen socket, 3/32” punch, blue thread locker
No rattling

Cons:
The springs that return to the 3-4 gate are a bit stiff. I’m sure I’ll get used to it and when shifting in a more aggressive manner, it’s probably needed.
A bit more effort required to shift from 1-2 3-4 4-5, not really a bad thing. If you are just putting around and using fingertips , you need to be a bit more deliberate.

Next step is probably their taller gripper shifter. I probably could move the stock shifter knob up a few threads with the OEM adapter. I personally like a little taller shifter and this counteract a bit of the higher gate spring pressure.

For track use, this is a no brainer. You will be able to hammer on this thing.

The OEM shifter rattle was annoying. I found myself driving differently to avoid it... That’s no good in such an enjoyable car.

DFW, TX
Some shift knob work updates. First, if you are really particular you can cover the cuts in the adapter piece for the OEM shifter with a #17 O- ring.
20201110_200722.jpg

DFW, TX
Second, a "tall" gripper shifter from MGW.

This took more work. It uses 12x1.25 thread which are lower on the MGW shifter. It's no taller than the stock shift knob with their OEM adapter.

I bought a 10mm to 12mm thread adapter and cut the bottom off of an 12mm shift knob boot cover to get things a little higher up.

I had to cut down the lip on the thread adapter and ream out the counter bore of the gripper shift knob to make things work. Now the shift knob uses the upper threads on the shifter and the boot spacer acts as a jam nut. Also had to cut down the diameter of the boot spacer and removed the rubber grommet MGW supplies. The spacer centers and locates the top of the shift boot.

Now.... will I like this or go back to stock knob...

20201110_185123.jpg

20201110_200353.jpg

DFW, TX
Changed the oil and went for another ride with the new MGW shifter/shift knob setup. The taller knob definitely provides more leverage over the gate springs. Sanded off the anodizing on the lower part of the knob and polished it and the spacer. A little lower would be ok, but I've run out machining ability with stuff on hand.

I find myself going in to first gear instead of second, just for fun, in slow turns! Nice shifter...

20201113_211956.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors